file BlastedMarble's Level Building Topic

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
18 Jun 2016 20:47 #61
Ah. Yeah I couldn't find much in Constructor to change camera turn speed (all the MBG tricks don't apply apparently). Best advice I can offer is trying to turn down your mouse speed in Windows, but that will probably cause problems of its own.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blasted
  • Blasted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Speedrunner and Level Maker
  • Thank you received: 105
24 Jun 2016 03:46 - 24 Jun 2016 04:07 #62
My next big multiplayer level will be another level I had delayed for a long time called "Meridian". There is no actual theme for this level, just a normal MP level. And I'll try to be a little more careful on how I lay out the level, hence the criticism the level got before it surfaced.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2016 04:07 by Blasted. Reason: Cragmire idea scrapped because of faulty hexagons.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
07 Jul 2016 23:04 #63
Meridian just started being worked on. Here is an image of what was done so far.

This is just the beginning. First, I'll add in the aspects that were from the early picture of this level. Then, I'll add new but not original things in to connect the sections all the while making the level as big as I truly envisioned.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
11 Jul 2016 15:49 #64
Sorry guys, but I have to cancel Perilous Palace Path. The reason is because someone told me that if you inspire something, you might screw it up big time. I was extremely doubtful if the idea would suit well. Besides, my constructor is very, very limited.

I have another singleplayer level focusing on scaling platforms. But the idea might have been already used for PQ.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
11 Jul 2016 17:43 #65
While shame regarding your Constructor issues, it's even more of a shame that one person got you to give up on your level idea. If I listened to people who told me those things, I wouldn't have 47 levels in PQ, and at most I'd have 10 and that's being generous.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xedron

• Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
  • Thank you received: 294
11 Jul 2016 18:10 #66

BlastedMarble wrote: Sorry guys, but I have to cancel Perilous Palace Path. The reason is because someone told me that if you inspire something, you might screw it up big time. I was extremely doubtful if the idea would suit well. Besides, my constructor is very, very limited.

I have another singleplayer level focusing on scaling platforms. But the idea might have been already used for PQ.

I saw exactly what he said. Honestly with your skill level I doubt you would go so far as to "screw it up big time", especially with such a creative idea for a level, it's very hard to create something people will instantly reject. Also, I'm sure he wasn't just telling that to you, he was just giving an example to everyone. Like Matan already said, it's a shame that this one thought in your head made you quit entirely on the level.. :dry:

About the scaling objects, I honestly think it would just look that much more impressive if you included scaling objects in your level. Obviously make sure not to include too frustrating gameplay. You should still probably check to make sure with one of the lead devs (Like 3f) and see if they still include the scaling objects

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
21 Aug 2016 04:12 - 21 Aug 2016 04:16 #67
I have some news I like to share with you. After giving it a lot of thought, I plan to get rid of the icy tightropes for good. Here is the reason why: After seeing PQ's levels and playing them in the demo, I realized that fun levels are better than frustrating levels by a long shot. I finally know what the definition of a fun level is: A level with no frustrating or tedious challenges. Just challenges easy enough for casual players so they can pass them with no aggravation.

That being said, I personally like to deeply apologize to anyone who really detested these tightropes. Even I thought they were bad after a while. Thus, it was my fault for creating them in the first place.

As for updates, I'll get back to working on Tri-Bowl eventually. However, Perilous Palace Path will not be in further production because the idea may seem a little too complicated.

You can follow updates on my levels here or my twitter page down below:
twitter.com/BlastedMarble
Last edit: 21 Aug 2016 04:16 by Blasted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzzmusic, Three

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
21 Aug 2016 08:23 #68
Good thing you realized the truth, Blasted. Next time, make tightropes that are two-edge wide, like in Slowropes.
They're way more interesting and fun to play, trust me. Even when they're covered with ice ;)

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
26 Aug 2016 01:03 #69
I'm now back to work on making Meridian and Tri-Bowl. To show my current progress, here is a screenshot of Meridian's current state.
Warning: Spoiler!

What you're seeing is most of the aspects that were in the old picture. I kept the good stuff about it and removed the bad ones. I even added a border to make it more MP like. More will be revealed later on.

I won't be showing Tri-Bowl's current state until I'm ready to show progress.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
26 Aug 2016 01:32 - 26 Aug 2016 01:33 #70
Looks... huge. I don't think you need to make it that large; take Heart of the Typhoon/Megas Original as an example of when big is too big.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 26 Aug 2016 01:33 by HiGuy.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
26 Aug 2016 03:13 #71
I honestly am a big fan of the huge design. I always thought big levels were great. I am very interested to see how a level like this will turn out in practice .

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• Thank you received: 22
31 Aug 2016 14:02 - 31 Aug 2016 18:34 #72

HiGuy wrote: Looks... huge. I don't think you need to make it that large; take Heart of the Typhoon/Megas Original as an example of when big is too big.

While Heart of the Typhoon is a large multiplayer level, I made sure to design it in a way that makes it easy to quickly traverse it, which is further emphasized by its abundance of power-ups.

As for Meridian, I think it is a level that has a lot of potential. However, judging solely from the latest pictures posted, I find it lacking in connectivity. As I mentioned when talking about Heart of the Typhoon, levels of this sheer size need a great amount of connectivity between their different sections, otherwise they become a chore for players to traverse. This is even more important for Meridian, as a good portion of it is significantly more elevated than the rest of the level.

I understand that Meridian is not yet finished. I'm just recommending that you make sure that there are plenty of ways to quickly get from point A to point B. Make good use of the border you decided to add around the level, and make sure the elevated section is well-connected to its surroundings so that it doesn't break the overall flow of the level.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 18:34 by Ultra.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
11 Sep 2016 14:28 #73
Today Meridian gets more progress news! A new section has been added to feel less empty. Red squares were added as teleporters to increase the ease of going from place to place. More of the gravity section was added to increase a level of connectivity. Click below for screenshots.

Additionally, Tri-Bowl is ready to show progress. It is currently at phase 1, which is the "Bowl" section. One screenshot will be shown for today.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
06 Oct 2016 21:08 #74
Tri-Bowl's first phase is nearly finished. Reveal the screenshot below. I'll probably add things to the "Bowl" section to make it feel less empty.

Meridian is also ready to show more progress. Two screenshots are down below. Watch as the ramps do their job on connecting from place to place.

NOTE: Tri-Bowl's map size is too big to convert. So I'm going to split the map in half (or probably more) when finished making it.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
22 Oct 2016 21:58 #75
Tri-Bowl's second phase has started. Below are some pictures of its current state.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
13 Nov 2016 19:38 #76
Meridian's interior is now finished. I just need to add more powerups and then add the gems. Afterwards, I will do ten test runs of this level.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
18 Nov 2016 23:10 #77
Meridian is completed and released for download. Go to my main level thread to download and play.

• Thank you received: 0
21 Dec 2016 18:37 #78
How do you add the start and end things?

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
22 Dec 2016 17:02 #79
Unless you place the start and end pads in the start and end of the level respectively, you don't have to deal with them for the rest of the game.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
29 Dec 2016 18:43 - 29 Dec 2016 18:46 #80
This is a preview of a little something that will continue development in 2017.

I also have other ideas but I won't show them until PQ comes out in aforementioned year.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2016 18:46 by Blasted.

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
29 Dec 2016 19:17 #81
It (meaning the gray thing) looks like a camera to me. (Previews & cameras? Do we have a theme here? ;))

I know there's not a whole lot to show yet, but of course I'm still interested. Keep it up!

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
18 Nov 2017 18:54 #82
A PQ remake of Warp Hall is in the works. Here is a preview of what has been completed so far.

The level is aiming to be released next month.

• eNetro
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Skilled PlatinumQuest Player
  • Thank you received: 49
18 Nov 2017 23:51 #83
First impressions: this level does remind me of Gravity Tower!

Awesome Hint:

Since the Awesome Time/Score is secret, you will have to beat it in order to find out what it is. Just practice every day, and be ready to keep pressing the 'Restart' button...A LOT!

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
19 Feb 2018 02:20 #84
I think now is the time I should reveal more info on the upcoming Warp Hall remake. First off, the intended release date was December 2017, but since that obviously didn't happen, it will take longer to finish. For those on the forums wanting to know my progress here and not just on discord, I've finished adding the gems in the center area. Here's an image below:

I should probably also mention that there will be two versions for this level: Singleplayer Hunt and Multiplayer Hunt. SP will include time travels and a 2-3 minute time limit. MP will include powerups like mega marble and blast and a 5 minute time limit.

After the level is released, I have a relatively small singleplayer level for PQ in the works. Look forward to that level after Warp Hall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eNetro, CylinderKnot

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
19 Feb 2018 22:08 #85
Looking pretty good. Would like some more singleplayer levels though. ;)

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
21 Feb 2018 21:10 #86

Rosie wrote: Looking pretty good. Would like some more singleplayer levels though. ;)

The thing about singleplayer levels is that long levels don't seem to be the norm now a days. Maybe they were fun back in 2008, but in an era where Threefolder's fairly short levels are some of the best levels I've played, long levels aren't that impressive anymore to be a main stay. That's why you don't see progress on Sanctuary Towers or Unnatural Selection because both of those levels can be done in at least 90 seconds (Although both are longer than any of my PQ levels), which isn't long for a level.

That said, I'll post occasional progress on a few singleplayer levels like I did with Studiopolis.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
01 Apr 2018 00:46 #87
The singleplayer version of Warp Hall is now complete! Once the multiplayer version is complete, both versions will be released.

Here is the .prev image for the level.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ralph, eNetro, CylinderKnot

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
03 Apr 2018 15:03 #88
Warp Hall is now complete! Go download in my main level topic.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
27 Jul 2018 17:34 - 27 Jul 2018 18:13 #89
Some updates:

After some deliberation, I decided to make patch to Warp Hall PQ that makes changes to the level. If there is anything about the level that you want me to change, post them here or in discord by pinging me the changes.

Meanwhile, a new Hunt level will be created. The level is called Area Pyramis (yes, it is called that). The structure is sort of shaped like a pyramid, but there will be multiple ways to take you up.

Here is what is completed so far:
Last edit: 27 Jul 2018 18:13 by Blasted.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.006 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.