• MBCollector672
  • MBCollector672's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
  • Thank you received: 76
23 Nov 2015 00:43 - 24 Apr 2018 16:17 #1
UPDATE 4/4/2017
It finally happened. MBN died. You were probably all expecting this post sooner or later.
I should've listened to everyone who told me this was a bad idea, but at the time I didn't care, as I was an ambitious 12 year old who had decided he was going to make a mod. Also, I don't know how much random crap is in the MBN folder, as I last worked on this mod quite a while ago. Hopefully you can enjoy this mod anyway. BTW: There should be a director's cut folder under missions, if you want to try some of the worse levels l had planned.
Special thanks to BPXRockU and Rozi for playtesting this a little bit, and to Weather for making the MBN splash screen. I really appreciate it!
Download MBN Incomplete Release

Original post V
Warning: Spoiler!

dumb furry who plays ball rolling games, gun shooting games, and plumber jumping games
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Apr 2018 16:17 by HiGuy. Reason: Incomplete release

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
23 Nov 2015 01:04 - 23 Nov 2015 01:11 #2
Can I quote you on that in 3 months? :^)

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 01:11 by Kalle29.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, J@ckRB, MBCollector672

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
23 Nov 2015 01:43 - 23 Nov 2015 01:50 #3

rektgaming1337 wrote: Hi everyone, this may seem like a noob mod(probably rightfully so)

I admire the fact that you recognize this.

rektgaming1337 wrote: so don't get your hopes up.

too late

rektgaming1337 wrote: But, I've decided to try to make a mini-mod.

Follow your dreams! :)

rektgaming1337 wrote: That's all for now, haven't even started yet.

What a great way to advertise and build anticipation. There's a reason I didn't end that sentence with an exclamation point.

rektgaming1337 wrote: Also, PLEASE don't try to discourage me, as I AM going to do it.

Noted. Refer to Kalle's post.

rektgaming1337 wrote: Period.

grammar lol

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 01:50 by Joey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff, J@ckRB, Three, Derpky, NF, MBCollector672, Nockess

• 1will2000will1
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
23 Nov 2015 12:08 #4
Good luck with the mod, I hope it turns out well!

rektgaming1337 wrote: Hi everyone, this may seem like a noob mod(probably rightfully so)

The more you practice, the better you will get so it may not turn into a "noob mod" but something way better! Even so, it takes more than a noob to make one, therefore making it not a noob mod.

Marble Blaster Since 2003
Skype - will99100

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
23 Nov 2015 16:23 - 23 Nov 2015 16:24 #5
Quick update on the mod: Decided on a theme for it. Using the LE interiors only. Nothing else. You can see a mod similar to this on the old forums, link here .

dumb furry who plays ball rolling games, gun shooting games, and plumber jumping games
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 16:24 by MBCollector672.

• Battlecube314
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • 100% Gold/Ultimate/Awesome!!
  • Thank you received: 155
24 Nov 2015 00:13 - 24 Nov 2015 00:13 #6
An LE based mod is a very cool idea! Designing a good LE level is a difficult challenge, now that people are used to seeing constructor-made levels. Good luck!
Last edit: 24 Nov 2015 00:13 by Battlecube314.

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
24 Nov 2015 03:33 #7
From my point of view, I want to say that one of ghe most important things about creating levels in the Level Editor is alignment. If you check a couple of my levels (like Red Climb and Blue Branches of Ultra), you can see that I spent quite some time on aligning interiors.

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
24 Nov 2015 15:49 - 30 Nov 2015 20:11 #8

Rozi wrote: I want to say that one of the most important things about creating levels in the Level Editor is alignment. If you check a couple of my levels, you can see that I spent quite some time on aligning interiors.

In the LE, select your interiors, go to the special menu and click Round Coordinates. You can also make a larger snapping scale in the World Editor Settings and setting Move Scale to something like 0.5. It will make moving stuff with the gizmo (the thing with three axes coming from a point) twice as hard, but if you are using round coordinates, you only need move it by dragging on the object without highlighting the gizmo first, and can move it up and down by ctrl-dragging.

I would like to point out that LE levels can be better than some Constructor ones.
By the way, what will the mod's name be? Is Marble Blast Nostalgia going to be the name?
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 20:11 by Weather. Reason: Changed axis to axes - Not the sharp ones.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
24 Nov 2015 16:00 #9
Some of my all time favorite levels were in the level editor tbh. I think the masters of the level editor were Andrew and Moshe with Technostick's code to really shake things up. Xelna did excellent levels as well, but wasn't a top 3 ;)

For me LE doesn't mean levels must be super aligned, but I don't want to get my marble stuck inside interiors and see some weird kinks. Heck, LE actually gives you a leeway to misalign stuff and get away with it. On the other hand usage of Constructor/QuArK has me expecting to see proper alignment because you have little reason to screw things up.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
26 Nov 2015 15:09 #10
Here are a few screenshots, so you can see how i'm doing so far.

Also, some level pictures (first 4 levels)

• 1will2000will1
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
26 Nov 2015 15:56 #11
Thats very interesting. Can't wait to play!

Marble Blaster Since 2003
Skype - will99100
The following user(s) said Thank You: MBCollector672

• Thank you received: 198
27 Nov 2015 08:51 #12
WOW! At first I thought making LE levels are bad, but you seem to be really good at making these awesome levels!

lee is awesome

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
27 Nov 2015 15:24 #13
Woah, these looked so much better than I expected!

Call me Chris!

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
27 Nov 2015 16:19 - 27 Nov 2015 16:23 #14
Because people seem to like these so much, I've decided to show one more screenshot.
This level is called "Advanced Techniques" and it teaches beginners how to edge hit, wall hit, and how to use diagonal movement.

Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 16:23 by MBCollector672.

• Thank you received: 43
27 Nov 2015 19:58 #15
Very nice use of the Level Editor! Can't wait. Keep up the work!

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
27 Nov 2015 20:02 - 27 Nov 2015 22:18 #16
Hey guys, another update. I've put together a level pack of the first five levels of beginner to keep you occupied until I release the full mod (not kidding at all, those legendary times are hard!). You can download it in the first post.

EDIT: Just realized I didn't put bounds triggers in those levels. That will be fixed in the final version.

Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 22:18 by MBCollector672.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
28 Nov 2015 22:40 #17
I like what you did with PowerUp and Hazard Training.
I see you changed Custom to Expert, but how did you get the font MB uses for changing the texture?

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
29 Nov 2015 02:42 - 30 Nov 2015 09:26 #18
I found some site called ufonts.com that had it. Also, the font is called "Dom Casual" if you want it for whatever reason.

Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 09:26 by Derpky. Reason: Fixed site name
The following user(s) said Thank You: Weather

• StewMan46
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 46
29 Nov 2015 12:50 #19
Very nice start to your mod! A word of advice though: If you really want the mod to have awesome, stunning levels, then don't use the level editor all the time. Try your hand at Torque Constructor or QuArK to build some of your levels. That way, it'll show that you're using your imagination and not just sticking to the default MBG interiors. Just a word of advice! ;)

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
29 Nov 2015 15:06 - 29 Nov 2015 15:06 #20
Thanks for the advice, but the whole point of the mod is to use only default mbg interiors, just like the old CLA custom levels. Thanks anyway though :D

Last edit: 29 Nov 2015 15:06 by MBCollector672.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
29 Nov 2015 22:23 - 29 Nov 2015 22:42 #21

StewMan46 wrote: Very nice start to your mod! A word of advice though: If you really want the mod to have awesome, stunning levels, then don't use the level editor all the time. Try your hand at Torque Constructor or QuArK to build some of your levels. That way, it'll show that you're using your imagination and not just sticking to the default MBG interiors. Just a word of advice! ;)

I would argue that it's using the default MBG interiors in new and innovative ways that shows you're using your imagination. Anyone can make whatever they want in Constructor, but making the same thing with the level editor can sometimes take more "out-of-the-box" thinking. Consider Technostick's levels for example. Do you realize that Master the Super Jump 3 was created exclusively with trapdoor.dif? Granted, Technostick went further out of the box into mission scripting to create this level (and others, mind you), but that's why he is a prime example of someone who epitomizes the idea of what it means to think creatively. Now, I'm not here to suggest that everyone has the skills (or, more appropriately, the will-power to learn the skills) to create the same stunning levels with the LE that Technostick and many other great LE level designers can. But before Constructor/Quark became a thing, every level was done in the LE; people had to constantly be thinking outside the box to use the interiors in new ways (a lot of CLA levels are really well done; can't recall names but a large number of those levels are LE). Sometimes, using limited resources helps to embrace your imagination more than endless options will.

All that being said, I can't say that I fully endorse what I've seen so far on this mod. But like anything, proficiency at something takes both patience and a yearn to learn. That's why most people don't finish mods.

To sum that all up, there is something to be gained by working with limitations. Endless options can sometimes be a hindrance to your creative side.

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2015 22:42 by Joey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buzzmusic, StewMan46, Weather

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
30 Nov 2015 04:22 - 30 Nov 2015 09:27 #22
Beginner levels are now done, so i'm 25% through with the mod (in terms of levels).

Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 09:27 by Derpky.

• StewMan46
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 46
30 Nov 2015 22:12 #23

Joey wrote:

StewMan46 wrote: Very nice start to your mod! A word of advice though: If you really want the mod to have awesome, stunning levels, then don't use the level editor all the time. Try your hand at Torque Constructor or QuArK to build some of your levels. That way, it'll show that you're using your imagination and not just sticking to the default MBG interiors. Just a word of advice! ;)

I would argue that it's using the default MBG interiors in new and innovative ways that shows you're using your imagination. Anyone can make whatever they want in Constructor, but making the same thing with the level editor can sometimes take more "out-of-the-box" thinking. Consider Technostick's levels for example. Do you realize that Master the Super Jump 3 was created exclusively with trapdoor.dif? Granted, Technostick went further out of the box into mission scripting to create this level (and others, mind you), but that's why he is a prime example of someone who epitomizes the idea of what it means to think creatively. Now, I'm not here to suggest that everyone has the skills (or, more appropriately, the will-power to learn the skills) to create the same stunning levels with the LE that Technostick and many other great LE level designers can. But before Constructor/Quark became a thing, every level was done in the LE; people had to constantly be thinking outside the box to use the interiors in new ways (a lot of CLA levels are really well done; can't recall names but a large number of those levels are LE). Sometimes, using limited resources helps to embrace your imagination more than endless options will.

All that being said, I can't say that I fully endorse what I've seen so far on this mod. But like anything, proficiency at something takes both patience and a yearn to learn. That's why most people don't finish mods.

To sum that all up, there is something to be gained by working with limitations. Endless options can sometimes be a hindrance to your creative side.

A good point that I never even thought of!

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
01 Dec 2015 02:35 #24
Quick update, the progress of the mod is going to slow by a lot, as I would like to learn constructor, and some other things. Not to mention it's in the intermediate levels. No, the mod hasn't died. Keep looking forward to it!

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
01 Dec 2015 18:09 #25
I thought you were doing Level Editor levels...

Call me Chris!

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
01 Dec 2015 19:40 #26

Rozi wrote: I thought you were doing Level Editor levels...

He wants to learn it for other stuff I believe.

• Battlecube314
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
03 Dec 2015 04:40 #27
All right, I tried the first 5 levels! Very nice job! I was able to get all the gold times:

Basic Movement - 2.386
Collecting Gems - 9.439
Powerup Training - 8.203
Hazard Training - 4.583
Good Hazards - 7.049

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
03 Dec 2015 06:13 #28
Good god motb, you destroyed my PB's! Can I get a video of that?

• Battlecube314
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
03 Dec 2015 15:52 - 03 Dec 2015 18:43 #29
Yes, I could do a video of your levels. I will go for lower times, since these can be easily improved.

Edit: My video is released, with improved times:
Basic Movement - 2.382
Collecting Gems - 9.124
Powerup Training - 7.334
Hazard Training - 4.351
Good Hazards - 6.748

You can see it in my video topic.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 18:43 by Battlecube314.

• MBCollector672
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • click the sergals
07 Dec 2015 05:47 #30
Quick question: should I use CLA interiors in the mod? IMO it seems like it would ruin the nostalgia if I use QuArK'd non-official interiors. Please post your opinion below.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.110 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.