file General attitude towards mod makers.

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • RDs.The-dts-guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
28 Apr 2017 13:43 - 28 Apr 2017 16:56 #1
. I don't remember last time we talked about this but I'm gonna lift this up again.
I saw mini flamewars sparking up on ''Marble Blast Stop'' board that reminded me of the whole MBSuper fiasco.
The core of it was that people gave their criticism on mod. Mod maker's didn't wanted to accept the suggestion or criticism by the community and continued their thing. Then people start repeating same things again and again to somehow ''enforce'' what they want person to do. And there we are having a flamewar pointing fingers at each other.
. The question is not who thinks right or wrong, the question is how we present our truth to others and how we criticize people.
For example when MBS2 was announced there was this ''300 levels thing for a mod'' discussion going on. People pointed out that that is insane. Jiquor said that he still want's to do it. People lift some good point's why it's ''crazy''. Jiquor says that he has understood all the point's lifted by community members and that he still want's to do it. Then why are we still talking about 300 levels and still criticizing him about it? Why are we still trying to force the idea that is bad down his throat like ''yeah he will eventually get annoyed and change his mind''? By somehow constantly reminding him about this we are not making the situation better and it won't make jiquor change his mind.
. I believe you have to let people make, what you think are, mistakes or do things that sound insane to you, sometimes you have to let people do what they think is best. Maybe what you think is right is wrong, maybe what thousand's of people that agree that you think is actually wrong (*khem* example:modern feminism echo chamber), maybe truth has changed around, maybe you are right, who knows? I believe that Jiquor learned a lot from MBS1 and that he may surprise us with something even with 300 levels and knowing his hard working spirit he will do it. Or this mod will fail, only time will tell. But please let's not make this into a mess that MBSuper was. I think we all learned our lesson from that as a community. Our general community atmosphere is great and is probably one of best around but mod board has kind of turned into place where to expel our pent up emotions about failed mods on newer members.

. P.S. Not siding with Jiquor or anyone else. Just getting tired of pointless discussions

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)
Last edit: 28 Apr 2017 16:56 by RDs.The-dts-guy. Reason: why the fu i added this?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Regislian, Jiquor, NF, Eguy, Nockess, Weather, Evokrypt, PacPlayer, Muffeyo, CylinderKnot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
28 Apr 2017 15:42 - 28 Apr 2017 15:43 #2
Completely agree 100% with every word товарищ империя has said. I recall like it was yesterday letting my then 12-year-old emotions run on high over the large influx of uncalled for discouragement towards the mod (I'm referring to everything before the whole PQ deal). While I did go way over the top in addressing some people and I'm quite embarrassed of that, there was a good point that I feel needed to be made: there is no loss in having a failed mod. It won't discourage the greater world of marble blast, and it won't discourage the mod makers -- any more than it will discourage them to have constant negativity. And, truth is, no one will look from the outside in on this community and judge us by going out of their way to uncover all the dead mods that we've had. There is really no loss if you think about it.

I really appreciate RD taking his time to prevent the anger of MBS from resurfacing.

Regards,
~Eguy

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014
Last edit: 28 Apr 2017 15:43 by Eguy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evokrypt

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
  • Thank you received: 155
28 Apr 2017 16:10 #3
I don't know how to respond to this, but to really say you took a lot of time to write this and you bring points that I didn't have the balls to bring up myself without getting the feeling like people were going to start harassing me because of points I make.

I'm just a mod maker. I'm not special, but that doesn't mean I should be shoved around because of how I plan a modification. What I feel for this modification as far as I'm going now is the best way I think I'll go with MBSTOP II. 376 levels, new challenges, amazing gameplay, etcetera.

I don't want to be shunned for this sort of thing and I feel like that's been the case with MBSTOP II with some members of the community.

All I can say to those people who don't like something that I don't agree with is: picky picky.

I've accepted a lot of your suggestions and feedback regarding the modification, and I've asked you questions about what you'd like to see in the mod-- such as a joj Level and what marbles you guys want to see in the game.

I believe that MBSTOP II will become very successful, but it's up to you guys what you think of the mod, whether you want to say "it's bad" to annoy me or pressure me or whether you want to say "it's great!" to lie to me.
Then again, saying it's bad or good could be the truth.

I don't know what will come out of this modification to everyone here and people outside of here, but as long as I finish this and work with you guys to fix visible texturing errors and bugs with Whirligig, then I should be okay.

STOPX Creator. Getting better by every release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evokrypt

• Thank you received: 57
29 Apr 2017 21:45 #4
I think anyone making a mod in 2017 is nuts because the amount of work to make a polished mod with fully fleshed out levels, GUI, new gameplay elements, sounds, visuals, etc is nowhere near worth it for how many people will end up playing it. It's good for an ego trip but that's about it.

That said, if you have the time and drive to do it, go nuts. On the off chance it's actually good, I'd be happy to play it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
30 Apr 2017 07:30 - 30 Apr 2017 07:35 #5
Trace, thank you for taking the time to not fully read this forum post and say "tl;dr" to everything that was posted on here and come up with some snarky words to say "oh, you're crazy and stupid for making a mod." At least, that's how I read half of your post. I don't know what you meant, but that's how I'm taking it.
I may be going nuts making this modification for it's quantity, but that's also another reason why I'm adding a lot: new challenges and features.
Saying that people go crazy making a modification, no matter what year it is, makes them feel like they are bad people and too insane to make a modification, encouraging them that they will do horrible with their modification, and that's in all honesty: a horrible thing to think and say out loud.

It's also like saying that anyone developing "PlatinumQuest", also known as "PQ", is nuts and crazy for continuing it.
Threefolder thanking the post also makes me feel like he wants my modification to not succeed.

really makes me want to continue this mod, thanks a lot
(actually, I'm not joking, it makes me want to prove you wrong that I can actually do good on this mod and not horrible.)
And chances are if you like the mod when it's released, that's cool!

Last edit: 30 Apr 2017 07:35 by Jiquor. Reason: minor text fixes

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • RDs.The-dts-guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
30 Apr 2017 08:12 #6

Jiquor wrote: Trace, thank you for taking the time to not fully read this forum post and say "tl;dr" to everything that was posted on here and come up with some snarky words to say "oh, you're crazy and stupid for making a mod." At least, that's how I read half of your post. I don't know what you meant, but that's how I'm taking it.
I may be going nuts making this modification for it's quantity, but that's also another reason why I'm adding a lot: new challenges and features.
Saying that people go crazy making a modification, no matter what year it is, makes them feel like they are bad people and too insane to make a modification, encouraging them that they will do horrible with their modification, and that's in all honesty: a horrible thing to think and say out loud.

It's also like saying that anyone developing "PlatinumQuest", also known as "PQ", is nuts and crazy for continuing it.
Threefolder thanking the post also makes me feel like he wants my modification to not succeed.

really makes me want to continue this mod, thanks a lot
(actually, I'm not joking, it makes me want to prove you wrong that I can actually do good on this mod and not horrible.)
And chances are if you like the mod when it's released, that's cool!

Not sure how you came to this conclusion or why you took it so personally but what trace actually is saying that making mod for almost dead game is kind of waste of time since that time could be used to improve yourself in fields that will earn you a living in future. I'm at point in my life myself where instead of making DTS's shapes for PQ I much rather would program for microcontrollers in order to haw raw experience and have something to show for future employers. DTS's modeling is a good experience and once I will have to do more CAD It will be easier to addapt to 3D modeling but overall something like mapmaking has almost no use as .bsp format is old and depricated, graphics editing was also useful but only thing I can do is earn small commissions that way. I doubt you are in that point in life where you have to think, what you will, do but once you will you will understand what I mean. When I was a kid and started modding it was good hobby and a way to spend free time and exercise my thinking but as you get older there are more important things in life than videogames.

Noones saying you shouldn't make a mod, weather it was your dream or just something you wanted to do in life is definatley worth doing if you have free time. But making it for fame is where it gets questionable.

In fact Trace ended his post quite positively:
Warning: Spoiler!

If you think he is quite negative, just dismiss and move on. Not everyone will like your ideas. Even the worlds best inventions are hated by some people. Focus on people that are interested in your mod and things will turn out. ;)

Also the reason people are working on PQ is that it was almost done and we wanted to finish It and not leave this artwork half complete. I believe more than half of PQ staff want to move on from MB engine by now and focus on more IRL stuff.

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
30 Apr 2017 08:32 #7
I don't think Marble Blast is dead, nor almost dead.
I don't think it's a waste of time for me to be making this modification.

I think making this modification is helping me with creativity and geometry skills.
If that's not how you guys see it, I get it, as per usual with cycles like this.

Trace did end it on a good note, but I responded with logic and ending it on a good note too.
It's cool if he likes the modification, but I still feel people don't want me to succeed with it.

No, I'm not doing this for fame. I'm doing this by choice and education.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.830 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.