SUPPORT BOARD OVERVIEW & TIPS:

About Receiving Help from the Support Board: While all members may answer questions posted in the Support board, you should only rely on responses posted or confirmed by support moderators and website administrators. Any solutions provided by members of the community that are not verified by a staff member (as indicated by a light-green background) are provided as-is, and we cannot take responsibility for any of the results of said actions.

About Responding to Support Threads: If you feel you know the answer to a question, you are welcome to respond to the thread and politely offer assistance. Please be courteous and try to provide detailed and helpful solutions to users who may not be as advanced as you. We ask that you refrain from posting one-sentence solutions.

Please search for existing topics before creating one! It's quite likely someone else has already encountered a similar issue which was resolved. You can search for existing support threads by clicking here .

About Topic Tags:

* Topics denoted with the [OPEN] tag are awaiting a response from the end user. You are welcome to post in these threads if you are experiencing a similar issue so we may provide further support.

* Topics denoted with the [RESOLVED] title have been successfully answered and confirmed by a support moderator and the end user, and should be used as a reference. These topics are locked.

* Topics denoted with the [CLOSED] tag were either inactive for more than 30 days or the end user did not respond to a suggestion and confirm if the issue was resolved. These topics are locked.

lock [RESOLVED] Crashing on Mac OS X Mavericks

• ry755
  • ry755's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
23 Sep 2017 00:40 - 04 Oct 2017 02:48 #1
Hey everyone! I just downloaded Platinum Quest on my Mac Pro 1,1 running Mavericks (with the boot.efi hack) and it crashes on startup. It gives me the "PlatinumQuest quit unexpectedly" dialog.

Here's the output from the "quit unexpectedly" dialog:
pastebin.com/raw/NCMt0v7v

However, it used to run just fine back when it was still called Marble Blast Platinum. I can't seem to find any existing topics about it crashing on a Mac before it even loads the main menu.

Please let me know if there is some way to get this working. Thanks.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2017 02:48 by Derpky.
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 401
23 Sep 2017 02:59 - 23 Sep 2017 03:02 #2

ry755 wrote: Mac Pro 1,1 running Mavericks (with the boot.efi hack)

We don't support unofficial configurations like this. Sorry.

You can try downloading the Windows version of the game and running it through WINE.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
Last edit: 23 Sep 2017 03:02 by Derpky.
  • ry755
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
23 Sep 2017 04:28 #3
But the thing is, it was also crashing when running on a supported version of Mac OS X Lion, so I know it's not the OS config.

I'll try running the Windows version in Wine.
23 Sep 2017 21:47 #4
I just looked into the issue further and it seems like we're making CPU feature support assumptions that we shouldn't be.

I'll try to add a fix for this to the next update.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
  • ry755
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
26 Sep 2017 02:24 #5
By CPU feature, do you mean something like SSE4? Because the CPUs in the old Mac Pros don't have that. The Windows version seems to run just fine in Wine, so I guess I'll use that until the Mac version is fixed.

Thanks for your help.
  • Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
26 Sep 2017 04:17 #6
Yes, SSE4 was what he was talking about. I believe we have it now compiling down to SSE2 (Pentium 4+) inside of our internal builds, but don't take my word as gospel.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
  • ry755
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
30 Sep 2017 17:38 #7
Great! So do I just wait for the next update, or is there some special version I need to download?
01 Oct 2017 19:39 #8

ry755 wrote: Great! So do I just wait for the next update, or is there some special version I need to download?

Yeah, the next update should automatically fix it. It should be out pretty soon - within a week at the very latest.

03 Oct 2017 04:31 #9
The update is out now. Let me know if it works.

• ry755
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
03 Oct 2017 21:40 #10
Yep, it worked. Thanks!
04 Oct 2017 02:47 #11
Awesome! Marking as resolved.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.824 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.