file [09/28/18] Time to Grow Up (First Running Start Thoughts)

• Nockess
  • Nockess's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • Girl
More
28 Sep 2018 16:01 - 28 Sep 2018 16:05 #1 by Nockess
Nockess created the topic: [09/28/18] Time to Grow Up (First Running Start Thoughts)
September 28th, 2018

Growing up sucks, but it happens anyway, and you can't do anything about it. Mind you, that doesn't mean that it's all bad. There's certainly a lot of upsides to being a kid as well as being an adult. You just can't take the good parts for granted, especially as a kid, because they will go away REALLY quickly.

I started Running Start this week. (For those who are unfamiliar with the term, Running Start's a program that allows juniors and seniors in highschool to start taking college-level classes before graduating.) The basic goal that my parents and I have set for myself is to earn my associate's degree and graduate from highschool two springs from now, which I fully expect to be very hard to pull off, but doable. I do feel like I'm at a fairly sized disadvantage though, because I haven't been in a classroom, or simply a school building altogether, with more than two people in it on a regular basis. I've been homeschooled by my dad for the last four years, so that explains why I haven't had homework and a lot more free time in general in the past. We just get more done. We don't need to wait for the slower kids to catch up. It's all 1-on-1 work. I actually kept taking it for granted, and I had to be reminded on numerous occasions that I could be in those annoying uncomfortable one-piece desk chair things working on group projects.

I finally had to stick a toe back into the pool of reality again. In the span of about two weeks, I went from full-time homeschooled student to full-time college student (with the homeschooling taking care of the leftovers. I originally signed up for only two classes since my parents and I were worried that three classes was going to be too much to handle, at least for my first quarter, after just making the transition to college from home. The two classes I signed up for in the beginning were a pre-calculus class and a computer science class. However, I dropped the computer science class the day after my first session of it, and added two more classes at the same time, which are an English class and a music class.
It's didn't take long to feel like I was swimming in homework. The rule of thumb for college is for every hour of class you have, it's two hours of homework (only three hours a day though), and that's only an average. Things haven't been outrageous yet, but I'm expecting that to happen sooner or later.

I'm really enjoying my time at college already, despite the fact that I have yet to even finish my first week of it. It's really nice to be around other people (although it's rather intimidating that they're all at least two years older than I am) just because that was at the top of my list of things I missed during my full-time homeschooling years (it also probably takes up the next few spots on that list). I communicated a lot with one of my really good friends who I met through homeschooling, and we set things up in a way where we'd be able to take a class together (ended up being the pre-calculus class) to help settle in to the new experience a little better, After a couple days of taking the class, I think it's made me feel a little less uncomfortable, and I'm certain she'd say the same.

I'm constantly losing more and more of my free time because of this though, and although I'm not jumping for joy about that, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the sake of my education and hopefully getting my feet on the ground for the next few years to come. I have this feeling that I'll probably feel more strongly about as time goes by that there's a time that lasts for a couple weeks at most where everything changes for someone's life and they finally step into the real world. Free time disappears, work gets harder, but the combined experience of everything gets so much cooler. It's probably something I'm saying a little too prematurely, but I wouldn't be surprised if I look back to this after a few months, or years, go by and I don't feel any differently about this.

I think it's time for me to grow up a little more...

First player ever to get all of the Awesome Times.
Last Edit: 28 Sep 2018 16:05 by Nockess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: obee58, CylinderKnot, MikeSan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: AayrlKalle29Regislian