• Ian_Cordle
  • Ian_Cordle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
  • Thank you received: 10
08 May 2014 23:09 - 09 May 2014 20:51 #1
Thoughts on the Future of Marble Blast eSports

The 2v2 League has had an astounding number of signups. I'm very happy that we might actually hit my goal of EIGHT teams! That's 16 players! I'm very happy that we have this sort of competition brewing in the community and that the experimental League has a decent sample size to test out rules and regulations. The 2v2 League is a great start but I'm far more excited for the individual events and tournaments that I will be setting up with some staff (to be sought out soon). I think that those individual tournaments will see far more action and I am incredibly excited to cast them on my live stream. It's ironic that I was the first one to live stream Marble Blast and now I will be again be edging on a new frontier with the help of Jeff and HiGuy's spectator code.

I've always been privy to some of the work on multiplayer because of my real life friendship to Jeff. I respectfully didn't say anything while the game was in development but I did offer suggestions to benefit the eSports community that I wanted to create. Although they were already intended on being added to the game, I suggested the rating system and the spectator mode out of desire to see the game played in tournaments and competitively for leaderboard ranking. I'm glad that the MP team has implemented so much of the stuff that Marble Blast needs to be a legitimate eSport.

Today I casted some games between Regisilan and Nihahhat for some practice and I found the analysis to be incredibly engaging. I think I can do a good job in the future for the competitive scene, not as a player, but as the face of the eSports scene with my involvement in organizing and broadcasting the games that people want to watch. Just watching people play is rarely entertaining but with a good caster tournaments gain loads of followers. (You can watch the unedited and low quality video >here< My video settings were incorrect and made the stream look very pixelated at times)

In the future I have a few ideas for competition, tell me what you think:
  • Beta World Championship: Open to all signups, the World Championships is going to have a Mac and Windows section. Signups will be open to all. Players will be put into groups of four where they play several four man free-for-all games. The top two players from each group will move on to a tournament bracket where players play 1v1 matches to the finals.
  • The Invitational: A repeating tournament with only 4 people in it that takes place on one night every week. It's a 1v1 tournament which you have to win to get invited back the next week. The top two stay and the bottom two are out.
  • 2v2 Invitational: Showmatches with invited players. Winning team stays for the next week. Teams sign up and a list is built. First come first serve.

Please, send me some feedback. I'm obviously not doing all of them, but these are my ideas for the setup. I'm incredibly excited to get casting!

I'm going to be graduating high school soon and going off to Penn State for Computer Science. Just wanted to get you a tiny personal update.
Last edit: 09 May 2014 20:51 by Ian_Cordle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
09 May 2014 22:39 #2
I like the idea of competitive Marble Blast. The game should get some exposure while it's available for free.
I would have signed up but I haven't checked the site in weeks. If 2v2 seasons are hosted regularly then competitive Marble Blast can be a thing.
In your original thread I noticed that lag would definitely be an issue. If there are enough teams the brackets could be separated into NA and EU teams, in which case, there should be a set location where the servers are hosted.

Although this doesn't pertain to league suggestions, I think, if possible, there should be another gamemode multiplayer: king of the hill. Thinking about KOTH in Marble Blast is interesting and could even become part of competitive MB.

• Ian_Cordle
  • Ian_Cordle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
  • Thank you received: 10
09 May 2014 22:47 #3
KOTH would be strictly marble interaction based and THAT would be incredibly reliant on ping.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.737 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.