exclamation-circle m0nty0 Competitive League - PlatinumQuest Multiplayer 2019

• m0nty0
  • m0nty0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
24 Jun 2019 16:15 - 28 Jun 2019 19:55 #1
Earlier this year I decided to reclaim my active position in the Marble Blast community. Since my leave in 2014 I have been focusing my competitive spirit into other games like Counter-Strike. When I rejoined I thought it would be a great idea to share some of the things I learned in these years and create a no-compromises competitive Marble Blast tournament.

This is not to be confused with the second multiplayer tournament taking place this summer. Yes, you heard that right: there will be two multiplayer tournaments this year. While this one is focused on fierce competition, the following one will be much longer with weekly challenges and a round robin format. Check back later for the link to that thread!

Why is this being posted on such short notice? My apologies, but I am currently touring eastern and central Europe with a friend and I am writing this on a car ride with my mobile hotspot. It’s tough keeping track while on vacation, but I promised I’d keep my word.

As per this inspiration the tournament will follow a similar format to that which was used in ESL Counter-Strike’s most recent events. The details are as follows:
  1. A limited number of players will be allowed to participate due to the nature of the tournament being shorter and more focused.
  2. The map pool will be limited as well. This is so that participants can focus their practice more tightly and so matchups can be closer.
  3. The tournament will take place over a two (ideally) to three (maximum) week period. The to-be-named summer jam tournament will be kicked off at the conclusion of the final championship.
  4. This is a single-elimination tournament and will follow the standard bracket style. The link to the bracket is here and also later in the post.
  5. Each match series will be a best of four (“BO4”) series except for the semi-finals and finals, which will be best of six (“BO6”). A match is referred to as a “series” because more than a single map being played.

The match setup will be more complex this time, so pay attention to this. The two competing players will enter the dedicated server in which both players’ pings are most equal. From then, the players will each choose two maps (first to pick will be decided by a coin toss) and one map to permaban in the series. If the winner of the coin toss picks a map, it can still be permabanned by the other player, forcing the former to pick a new map.

Example:

MBOUltimate: Heads
ItzJean: Tails
(Whoever has the coin toss open): Winner is Tails!
ItzJean: My permaban is Concentric. First map is Architecture, third map is Vortex Effect.
MBOUltimate: My permaban is Core. Second map is Sprawl, fourth map is Horizon.

As you can tell, there is some trust factor involved with the coin toss and score reporting. If you are found to have cheated in any way with this, you will be forfeited from the tournament and (probably) shamed. It’s not worth it.

After this the two players will begin their first match. The series will continue until one player gets three map wins, which will conclude the BO4. If the scenario is that the players have tied at 2-2, another map will be played for overtime (“OT”). Both players have to agree on the map as that way it will be even for both parties. If the score is tied on the OT map, another map will be played until one player is victorious. Scores should be reported in some way, preferably DM’d to me through Discord. My tag is m0nty0#3031.

These settings promote consistency, diversity of map proficiency, and competitive spirit. The preference of BO4 over BO3 gives a chance for either player to come back in style and it increases overall competition.

The winner of the series will advance to the next bracket and this will continue until the finals. The only difference between standard matchups and the semi-finals/finals is that the latter are BO6s, as stated previously.

This tournament is limited to 16 players. Sign up below in any way you please, but make sure you understand and consent to a semi-strict match schedule (this should be written in your reply). Matchups can be rescheduled if necessary, but manipulating this to gain extra practice time is frowned upon.

Signups are to end on the night of this [strike]Saturday, June 29, 2019[/strike] Monday, July 1, 2019 GMT+1

The map pool is as follows:

• All Angles
  • Architecture
  • Gems in the Road
  • Marble Agility Course
  • Marble it Up
  • Sprawl
  • Vortex Effect
  • Zenith

Matches will take place as per this schedule:

[hr]

Once again, matchups can be rescheduled if need be. Otherwise, please aim to keep the actual schedule consistent with the ideal.

Bracket link (to be updated as people sign up): challonge.com/mclpq2019

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please discuss them on the Discord server. Otherwise this thread will be flooded with a lot of off-topic comments and it will be difficult to keep track of who is participating.

Note: if technical difficulties are present please DM me on Discord and I will decide how to proceed. If I am not available and the issues can't be solved with a restart or map change, the match will be rescheduled to the next day arbitrarily and will be discussed further.

Note: two spectators are allowed per match. It actually helps to have one so they can do the coin flip, report technical difficulties, and report scores.

Note: video recording is entirely optional. It would help to have an archive of every match, so I'd prefer if someone record it somehow.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2019 19:55 by m0nty0. Reason: Added notes
The following user(s) said Thank You: MBOUltimate, Storminorman, Jean, Muffeyo, CylinderKnot, Eclipsia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jean
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • The only Maltese MB Player
  • Thank you received: 20
24 Jun 2019 16:20 #2
sign me up.... I NEEEED

If you don't like camping, go for all spawns, then boom no camping :D

be cool and watch my glorious videos and you get pat
www.youtube.com/channel/UCdizPA26rBvNfxQrpaJZqyw

• Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
  • Thank you received: 294
24 Jun 2019 17:36 #3
sure

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017

• Jacob
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Good, but not too good
  • Thank you received: 1
24 Jun 2019 19:45 #4
Yeah but i need to do my match early on the 2nd, will be on vacation from 2nd to 6th

• Thank you received: 31
24 Jun 2019 21:28 #5
in

• Thank you received: 1
25 Jun 2019 06:08 #6
Y E E T

also, I won't be available July 14th, but I'm sure that won't really conflict with anything

• MBOUltimate
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Personal text
  • Thank you received: 60
27 Jun 2019 17:47 #7
joined [strike]because screw tradition[/strike] in order to test out the new format

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
27 Jun 2019 22:36 #8
enough getting cucked in tourneys

lets obtain this grain

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

• Thank you received: 4
28 Jun 2019 14:01 #9
Won't get far but i'll give it a go

⌛ ⌛ TYYME TRAVELL

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
30 Jun 2019 05:30 #10
Looks like it'll fit within my schedule, so I'll join.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
30 Jun 2019 12:13 #11
I think I can join

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• Thank you received: 24
01 Jul 2019 11:20 #12
Despite my previous absence which lasted about a month, I decided I'll join.
Let's go this

• m0nty0
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
02 Jul 2019 08:53 #13
I'm entering too, making a grand total of 12 players! This also means that the bracket will be updated, so please check challonge.com/mclpq2019 by the end of today to know your matches and dates!

• m0nty0
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
03 Jul 2019 09:22 #14

• Jean
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
03 Jul 2019 21:47 #15

• Jean
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
04 Jul 2019 23:16 #16

• Jean
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
06 Jul 2019 21:52 - 06 Jul 2019 21:53 #17
any tournament games are gonna be in this playlist www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxdMJm8tP...suF-42hRdSANKM9A8G9h

Last edit: 06 Jul 2019 21:53 by Jean.

• Jean
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
08 Jul 2019 11:46 #18

• Jean
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
20 Jul 2019 23:06 #19

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.003 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.