file Marble Blast Trial/Demo Version Level Numbers

• Josep_Nollette
  • Josep_Nollette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
03 Dec 2020 01:59 #1
One interesting thing I noticed back when I played Marble Blast Gold for the first time was how two of the levels in the demo - Hop, Skip and Jump and Ordeal - were listed as Intermediate level 12 and Advanced level 39 respectively, but then became Intermediate 13 and Advanced 40 in the full game. What reason would there be for this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
04 Dec 2020 14:31 - 04 Dec 2020 14:33 #2
It might just be that for some reason unknown to me, Windows PCs just order the levels slighly differently. I mostly play on Mac, and I know with high confidence that, for me, Hop, Skip and Jump is Intermediate-12. For some reason this only applies to the original MBG 'n stuff and not the MBG level lists in MBP or PQ. For Ordeal though, I might have to check again on my dads old MacBook Air, because the Mac I'm using to write this only has (of what fits the "criteria" I just mentioned) MBPU 1.5 installed.
I did "count" them though by just counting the levels that are there that weren't in the original MBG that are ordered before by clicking through them and then, when I got to Ordeal, I just subtracted the number of levels that were "new" in MBPU (9) from the level number that Ordeal said it had there (49).
I got 40 by doing this though. And I did (pause writing this to) double-check.
[strike]So it might be that it ever so subtly changed beacuse of the Mac I'm using idk[/strike]

TL;DR PCs might just order the lvls slightly differently from Macs.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2020 14:33 by Bukki13.

• Thank you received: 405
04 Dec 2020 16:21 #3
I've always explicitly used Macs to play this game. When I started playing MBG in 2009, it was on an iMac G5 from 2005, so it was the PowerPC version of MBG, which is obviously an older version than the Intel version that runs on [I would say "current" but now that the M1 Macs are out I'll just say "recent"] Macs. Since I've been obsessed with MBG for a solid 11 years at least, and spent way too much time playing it, I grew up with Marble Playground being Intermediate level 12, Hop Skip and a Jump being level 13, and Ordeal Advanced level 40. When I switched from the iMac G5 to a 2007 MacBook, it was the same, and then when I got my 2014 Mac mini it was still the same. Then I bought my 2017 13" MacBook Pro, and it was again the same, but for some reason after reinstalling a fresh copy of MBG after splitting my hard drive to run 10.12 and 11.0 on different partitions, Hop Skip and a Jump is now level 12 and Marble Playground is level 13. Which really messes with my head, because for my whole time playing this game it's always been the other way around. But it doesn't really matter because I'm playing PQ instead of MBG now anyway. Still, I'm curious to know what causes this. (Ordeal has always been Advanced level 40 though, I didn't know that was ever different.)

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
04 Dec 2020 19:08 - 04 Dec 2020 19:13 #4
The .mis files for "Hop Skip and a Jump" and "Marble Playground" both have 12 as the level number (used for ordering but not the number displayed in the level select). "Take the High Road" has 13, but it is followed by "Half Pipe" which is correctly numbered as 15.
The .mis file for "Ordeal" in the demo says its number is 40.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2020 19:13 by Weather. Reason: Nevermind about the UI file. MBG has the same sorting as Marble Blaster.

• Thank you received: 405
04 Dec 2020 21:47 #5
So if Marble Playground and Hop Skip and a Jump both have 12, what determines which order they're listed in in the actual game?

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
05 Dec 2020 00:45 #6
I was using the Windows versions, by the way.
I think for me they are listed in reverse alphabetical order. I did a quick test with the same file-finding functions as the level select (found in marble/client/ui/playmissiongui.cs, the source code of which is in the extra downloads on this website) and got files in that order (the files were created out of order).
The reference for these functions doesn't say what order they're supposed to use. Maybe it's OS-dependent, or maybe some change was made to a later Mac version of MBG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

• Thank you received: 1
09 Dec 2020 20:41 - 09 Dec 2020 20:42 #7

Nature Freak wrote: Hop Skip and a Jump is now level 12 and Marble Playground is level 13. Which really messes with my head, because for my whole time playing this game it's always been the other way around.

I actually got brainf**ked when I saw Marble Playground as level 12 and Hop, Skip, and Jump as level 13 in MBPs MBG lvl selection
Last edit: 09 Dec 2020 20:42 by Bukki13.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.834 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.