file Marble Blast Portable

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
21 Feb 2012 04:46 #61
Oh, my bad I haven't been following the mod since the start.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aether
  • Aether's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
21 Feb 2012 07:06 #62
Feb 19, 2012, 6:32pm, mbgaddict wrote:How do I update from the old MBPortable to the new one PLEASE HELP! Also if 2.0 doesn't work under Wine then boxedapp.com/
When you run the program you downloaded, it makes a folder called Marble Blast Portable 1.1. In that folder, you should see a file called Updating.pdf. Follow those instructions.

I'll be releasing 2.0 soon, so we'll see if it works. If not, I'll take a look into that boxedapp program. Thanks for the link.

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
21 Feb 2012 23:21 #63
Hey everyone! I've been working really hard on version 2.0 for the last few days. Today, I'm happy to announce the official release of Public Release 2 of Marble Blast Portable. I'm sorry for those who were quick to download 1.1, but now there's a newer, better version for you to grab.

There have been TONS of changes since version 1.1 was released just a few days ago. Version 2.0 completely changes how the games and the launcher are run. Rather than clumping everything together in a series of folders, every single file has been compressed into a virtual file system, and is all compiled into one single executable file. What I'm really hoping is that this will allow Mac and Linux users to run my portable under Wine. I don't have either one of those operating systems to test this theory on, so I'm counting on you guys to let me know. Post a reply here saying whether or not the games ran on non-Windows systems. Also, I've added Marble Blast Elite to the included games and created an entirely new launcher interface.

Grab your copy of Marble Blast Portable version 2.0 at db.tt/Bn8J3ZYb

22 Feb 2012 00:37 #64
Wow this news is great but my old version only has the .pdf file of Readme? Oh and no problem for the link, just googled alternative to ThinApp

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
22 Feb 2012 14:42 #65
Feb 21, 2012, 4:37pm, mbgaddict wrote:Wow this news is great but my old version only has the .pdf file of Readme?
That's because the Upgrading.pdf file is only included with post-1.0 releases. When you download a new version, you're downloading a file named Extract Marble Blast Portable X.X, which is just a self-extracting RAR archive. Run that program. In the same folder where that program was downloaded to, it makes a new folder called Marble Blast Portable X.X. The upgrade instructions PDF that you're looking for is in this folder.

23 Feb 2012 01:54 #66
Ok one error on the Extract Marble Blast Portable something about corrupt files in program and to redownload and what you said up above does that mean my highscores will be gone?

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
23 Feb 2012 05:34 #67
You're saying the upload corrupted? That's not good! I'll re-upload tonight. No, that doesn't mean your high scores will be gone - that is, unless you've already deleted your old version...

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
23 Feb 2012 19:20 #68
I'll test it on WinE for you... just have to download the 800 MB of data...

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

24 Feb 2012 00:17 #69
No, I didn't say the file was corrupted I said that the extracter program said to redownload

• Thank you received: 67
11 Mar 2012 19:58 #70
Quote:I'm hoping it will run under Wine

I'm DLing on mac
I've got wine so I hope it works.

11 Mar 2012 22:48 #71
Please do let us know if it works it would be awesome if it did work

12 Mar 2012 00:42 #72
Mar 11, 2012, 3:48pm, mbgaddict wrote:Please do let us know if it works it would be awesome if it did work

I didn't

12 Mar 2012 01:42 #73
Time for boxedapp if Aether wants.

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
12 Mar 2012 03:11 #74
Jkk39, you were able to activate on your Mac? I don't think that's possible. Or did you activate successfully and the games wouldn't run? I'm a bit confused. If you just couldn't activate it, let me know. I'll PM you with a way to activate it.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
12 Mar 2012 04:29 #75
Aether, maybe you should have coded it in a cross-platform language, such as C or C++, so there wouldn't be so many mac issues. Did you ever consider re-coding it?

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

12 Mar 2012 15:06 #76
Mar 11, 2012, 8:11pm, aethermaster wrote:Jkk39, you were able to activate on your Mac? I don't think that's possible. Or did you activate successfully and the games wouldn't run? I'm a bit confused. If you just couldn't activate it, let me know. I'll PM you with a way to activate it.

I Extracted everything with Wine, but then when I clicked on the app, it said it was unable to run. It didn't say anything about activating...

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
12 Mar 2012 22:53 #77
Mar 12, 2012, 8:06am, jkk39 wrote:I Extracted everything with Wine, but then when I clicked on the app, it said it was unable to run. It didn't say anything about activating...
Oh, well that's disappointing

Mar 11, 2012, 9:29pm, jeff wrote:Aether, maybe you should have coded it in a cross-platform language, such as C or C++, so there wouldn't be so many mac issues. Did you ever consider re-coding it?
If I knew how, I would. Really, the program itself is super simple. It's just an AutoIt script with a fancy user interface. I don't feel like learning a new coding language just to make this compatible with Macs. After all, I kind of did this whole project for me and just decided to release it. I'll keep trying to make it work though. We'll see what happens.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
12 Mar 2012 23:14 #78
Ok. The only thing is Aether, if the language only supports a windows environment, then emulation has to be used for others, which is the current problem with multiplayer in marble blast, but we are trying to solve that. Remember that

With that being said, has anybody tried this on crossover?

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 368
13 Mar 2012 03:21 #79
May be able to code it in Java. The interface would be tricky, but would support multiple platforms. /shrug

~Aayrl

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
13 Mar 2012 04:22 #80
@Aaryl, thats what console command line is for now, isn't it?

• Thank you received: 368
13 Mar 2012 14:35 #81
If one had the time to sift through it, yes.

~Aayrl

08 Apr 2012 03:56 #82
Huge Bump!

I am having problems opening MBPort. You can see my problem here www.marbleblast.com/index.cgi?boa....ad=13134&page=1

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Apr 2012 00:13 #83
Apr 7, 2012, 8:56pm, stonemarble wrote:Huge Bump!

I am having problems opening MBPort. You can see my problem here www.marbleblast.com/index.cgi?boa....ad=13134&page=1
If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7, would you try right-clicking on the program and choosing Run as Administrator, please?

Also, try disabling User Account Control. If you have Vista, turn it off. If you have 7, drag the slider all the way to the bottom setting. Instructions on how to do this can be found here: www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-v....-windows-vista/

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Apr 2012 02:26 #84
Version 3.0 Released!
Introducing Version 3:
Hello everybody! I'm really excited to announce the release of Version 3 of Marble Blast Portable. I've been doing a ton of work on this version, and I think you're going to be really happy with the results – I know I am! I've made a lot of changes and added several new features. I'll go into detail about each below.

Small Initial Download
One of the biggest issues with making a portable computer game is file size. Games are big, and unfortunately, there's no fixing that. To make a game portable, you need to include every file that the non-portable version has. If the non-portable is huge, the portable version will be huge as well. That was the problem with versions 1 and 2 of Marble Blast Portable. Every game was included with every download. This made an extremely large download of over 950MB. It's just not practical to have you download that big of a file every time I release an update. With the release of Version 3.0, you won't have that problem anymore. The initial download size is only 7.5MB! How, you ask? Read on.

Introducing Components!
When I included every game with Marble Blast Portable, the program was over 950MB in size. If I were to add another game (Say PlatinumQuest comes out and I add it, for example), Marble Blast Portable would've been over 1GB to download with every release. That's WAY too big! That's why I'm introducing the brand new component feature of Marble Blast Portable! It is, in my opinion, the best solution for the file size problem.

I’m no longer bundling games with the initial download of the Marble Blast Portable launcher program. When you first download it, you get the launcher’s interface and nothing else. You have to add the games you want on your own. I’ve created a virtual container for each different game, which you can download and add to the portable whenever you want. On top of that, each game is now completely optional – you choose which ones you want to download and take with you. Let’s say you want Marble Blast Platinum and Emerald, but no others. That’s no problem! You simply don’t download the components for the other games.

Adding a component is super simple. The file you download is named “[Game].R[Version].game,” where [Game] is the game’s name (Marble Blast Gold, for example), and [Version] is the release number for that component (.R1.game is release 1, .R2.game is release 2, and so on). Just move the downloaded file into the “Components” folder (included with the launcher), and you’re all set to play!

Since the games themselves are rarely updated, you won’t need to download new releases for components very often. The components that are uploaded right now will be compatible with all future launcher versions. So if a Marble Blast Portable update is released, you only need to update the 7.5MB launcher program. You will only need to update a component if a game itself is updated (Let’s say Platinum 1.2 comes out for PC. This is a case when a component would be updated). If I ever decide to add a game to Marble Blast Portable, you won’t need to download your components all over again. You’ll only need to download the new game’s component and update your launcher program.

Hopefully this wasn’t too hard to understand. I’ll eventually be uploading a video to YouTube showing how to add or update components, but for now, if you have any problems understanding all of this, just let me know and I’ll help you as best I can.

And Finally, a New Interface
If you couldn’t tell from the user interfaces of the last two releases, I’m a fan of fancy-looking programs. But after I used Marble Blast Portable on several netbooks, I came to the conclusion that the old interface, which used several large icons placed around the same window, just wasn’t practical. I’ve completely redesigned the interface in version 3.0, and I like the result. The window is much smaller now. There should be no problem using it on tiny screens. I made this change by moving all games into a dropdown menu, and only showing one icon at a time. Also, I’ve added a much-requested feature to the interface – a close button! Finally, there’s no more splash screen before the launcher opens, since several people requested that I remove it. Hopefully this new interface is still just as easy, if not easier, to understand.

Download!
In order to keep the list of downloads from being hard to find, It will only be posted on the first page of this topic. Please refer to the first post in this topic, on page 1, for a list of downloadable files.

Enjoy!
-Aether

09 Apr 2012 13:51 #85
You know, I should really try this out on Mac using Wine...

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
09 Apr 2012 19:54 #86
Great work Aether, i never used this yet, but I may eventually.

09 Apr 2012 22:31 #87
I did all the things you said but it's still showing the same thing. I know this isnt the support board but I really need to know what's wrong with my computer. I put the GAME files in but It's still saying the same thing. Am I supposed to put anything else in? like the SKEL file or the Player Data file?

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Apr 2012 22:47 #88
Apr 9, 2012, 3:31pm, stonemarble wrote:I did all the things you said but it's still showing the same thing. I know this isnt the support board but I really need to know what's wrong with my computer. I put the GAME files in but It's still saying the same thing. Am I supposed to put anything else in? like the SKEL file or the Player Data file?
So you put all the components in the components folder. Good. The Player Data folder is created automatically when you run MBPortable, so no need to worry about that. The SKEL files are inside the Player Data folder and are also automatically created and shouldn't need to be messed with. Where do you have MBPortable extracted to? If you have it in C:\ or in C:\Program Files, your computer may be restricting access. If it's there, try moving it to your desktop or something and running it again.

Also, and I know this is going to sound really sketchy, but I promise you the program's clean, if you have an antivirus, could you try temporarily disabling it? Sometimes, antiviruses detect AutoIt scripts, which is what the launcher is, as viruses because of the way they're compiled. I promise you that MBPortable is 100% clean and won't give you any viruses.

09 Apr 2012 22:52 #89
You're right. It does sound sketchy! And yes, it is in the C:\ Program files. So i'll try it. *crosses fingers*

Edit: Cannot disable my anti-virus. It's McAfee. I'm like a computer noob I:

• Aether
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Apr 2012 23:24 #90
Apr 9, 2012, 3:52pm, stonemarble wrote:You're right. It does sound sketchy! And yes, it is in the C:\ Program files. So i'll try it. *crosses fingers*

Edit: Cannot disable my anti-virus. It's McAfee. I'm like a computer noob I:
Did moving it to the desktop not work?

McAfee, along with almost any paid antivirus, is garbage in my opinion. I don't know why people even pay for an antivirus. Just a tip here, but when your subscription to it expires, get rid of it and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead. It's free and in my opinion, just as good if not better than most paid ones. But for now, here's how you can temporarily disable yours.

-Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter
-Click Virus and Spyware Protection
-Click Real-Time Scanning
-Turn off and tell it for how long you wish it to remain that way.

Don't forget to turn it back on when you're done trying this though, or else you'll be unprotected.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.050 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.