file Question about the PC port of MBU.

• drocsid
  • drocsid's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
24 May 2013 18:11 #1
So, I noticed there was a PC port of Marble Blast Ultra that was released late last year. I read the thread about the leaked standalone of MBO which is illegal, however this seems very different. I downloaded it and installed it, and it's exactly the same as the xbox version. Even the multiplayer seems to be functional. So, is it against the rules to discuss it here? If any admins want to know more about this, I can PM them a link to the youtube video. I'm not giving a link to anyone who isn't an admin, however, just in case, because there's a download link in the description.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
24 May 2013 18:32 #2
Being in possession of the PC port of MBU is still illegal, actually - InterActive Corp (IAC) bought the rights to the game from GarageGames years ago and made it illegal to distribute its games, such as MBU. So I would delete it off your computer as soon as possible.

• Thank you received: 20
26 May 2013 00:35 #3
This thread actually reminded me of a question I wanted to ask about possible false information on Wikipedia. On the Wikipedia page for Marble Blast Ultra, it says this:

Quote:On February 12th 2011 Marble Blast Ultra was delisted from the Xbox Live Arcade service. GarageGames, now a subsidiary of Graham Software Development, retained the rights to the Torque Engine which powers Marble Blast Ultra, but not the rights to the game. Game rights are property of InstantAction Holdings. GarageGames CEO Eric Preisz said that it was unlikely that the studio would reacquire the rights to its games.[2] Modders have unofficially ported the game to PC, with no response from GarageGames or Graham Software Development.

I thought GG was pushing really hard to remove the SA and let no one download it. Someone please explain...

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
26 May 2013 01:01 #4
I don't think they have a say in it because they do no town the rights anymore to MBU....probably just IAC does.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
26 May 2013 02:12 #5
IAC is the one with the rights and response. From what we do know is that GG can still issue takedown notices and legal notices but it's a whole bunch of mess that stuff is barely clear anymore.

The PC port is still illegal. Technically MBU was dev. on PC, ported to xbox360 and what they got is just enabled the stuff again.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Thank you received: 57
26 May 2013 08:03 #6
Basically yea, the version is still not legit.

MBO and MBU were almost identical anyway, MBO pretty much just had the menus ripped out.

• drocsid
  • drocsid's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
29 May 2013 19:10 #7
May 25, 2013, 5:35pm, gyrocop wrote:This thread actually reminded me of a question I wanted to ask about possible false information on Wikipedia. On the Wikipedia page for Marble Blast Ultra, it says this:

Quote:On February 12th 2011 Marble Blast Ultra was delisted from the Xbox Live Arcade service. GarageGames, now a subsidiary of Graham Software Development, retained the rights to the Torque Engine which powers Marble Blast Ultra, but not the rights to the game. Game rights are property of InstantAction Holdings. GarageGames CEO Eric Preisz said that it was unlikely that the studio would reacquire the rights to its games.[2] Modders have unofficially ported the game to PC, with no response from GarageGames or Graham Software Development.

I thought GG was pushing really hard to remove the SA and let no one download it. Someone please explain...

Incorrect. The PC port referred to on the Wikipedia page does not refer to the standalone. It refers to a completely different project that basically ported the xbox version to PC.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
29 May 2013 20:11 #8
Either way it is still illegal.....so umm..yeah.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
30 May 2013 00:44 #9
Using the xbox files to port it to PC makes it just as illegal. And secondly, since when is Wikipedia a reliable source?

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Thank you received: 18
30 May 2013 07:54 #10
May 29, 2013, 5:44pm, admin wrote:Using the xbox files to port it to PC makes it just as illegal. And secondly, since when is Wikipedia a reliable source?

Since when you can't find the fact you want anywhere else.[1]

1. Wikipedia

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
30 May 2013 08:39 #11
^ contender for post of the year

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
30 May 2013 17:54 #12
^more like post of the decade

• Thank you received: 20
02 Jun 2013 02:49 #13
May 29, 2013, 12:10pm, drocsid wrote:
May 25, 2013, 5:35pm, gyrocop wrote:This thread actually reminded me of a question I wanted to ask about possible false information on Wikipedia. On the Wikipedia page for Marble Blast Ultra, it says this:

Incorrect. The PC port referred to on the Wikipedia page does not refer to the standalone. It refers to a completely different project that basically ported the xbox version to PC.

I see now. I never actually knew, the SA and the PC port were 2 different things until after I posted this. I really haven't been following the story that much.

@Matan - Yeah, I'm aware that Wikipedia isn't always correct; that's why I asked, to see if there was blatantly wrong information or whether I was missing something. Turns out I was just missing something. Wikipedia can have faults, but they've gotten much better at limiting them.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.045 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.