file Who owns MBG now and...

• Jkk39
  • Jkk39's Avatar Topic Author
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 67
13 Jul 2013 23:57 #1
Hey, does anyone know who owns MBG? And, since we obviously can't sell it, couldn't we just give away a windows and linux version? I don't say mac because its on sale at the mac game store.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
14 Jul 2013 00:30 #2
InterActiveCorp. According to my understanding, the simplified story is that GarageGames voluntarily was acquired by IAC before they launched InstantAction because they needed the investment to grow and make InstantAction a success. IA wasn't making money or something so IAC shut down IA then in 2011 (2010?) Graham Software Development acquired the GarageGames team/intellectual property rights to Torque from IAC. However they didn't purchase the rights to sell Marble Blast so IAC still owns that.

Not entirely sure how Mac Game Store is selling MBG for Mac but my guess is they made a contract to sell it with IAC after IAC acquired GG.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
14 Jul 2013 00:54 #3
Yeah there's some sort of a contract left between the two. IIRC IAC actually acquired GG in 2006/7.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
14 Jul 2013 01:42 #4
Here's a different question. Who made MarbleBlast? Was it Garagegames, or an independent author? Who in particular, then?

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
14 Jul 2013 02:46 #5
GarageGames created and published it.d

• Thank you received: 2
14 Jul 2013 05:07 #6
Do any of them ever come on here?

• Jkk39
  • Jkk39's Avatar Topic Author
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 67
14 Jul 2013 05:20 #7
But still, would it be illegal to give it away? It would right? Because IA still owns rights to it.

• Thank you received: 57
14 Jul 2013 05:40 #8
If it was removed intentionally from the market, then I do not think you should be able to give it away. While some people may be secretly distributing it, it is still quite illegal. Especially since anybody could come and re-obtain those rights, and sell it on the market again. Or if IAC rises from the grave. I don't think so, but I still wouldn't bet on it.

• Thank you received: 2
14 Jul 2013 19:51 #9
fyi, IAC is very much alive and healthy. They are a massive media (internet oriented) conglomerate and they own quite a few mainstream/popular names. A couple recent active ventures they have are Aereo and CollegeHumor's first full-length feature film.

I have no idea why they put MBG in a cage, but presumably they at least still know it exists.

• Thank you received: 0
14 Jul 2013 21:25 #10
Well i don't know anything about rights, marketing and IAC, but maybe we should just ask IAC what's going on with MB?...

14 Jul 2013 23:51 #11
Jul 14, 2013, 2:25pm, alexthepromacgamer wrote:Well i don't know anything about rights, marketing and IAC, but maybe we should just ask IAC what's going on with MB?...

It's been asked many times. No response.

15 Jul 2013 00:13 #12
Maybe they had a spam filter? That would be... yea... if that's all it is (Nope.). Maybe Jeff and such can hack a message though.

(JUST KIDDING)

Perhaps IAC just hates this game and sees no value in it anymore.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
15 Jul 2013 00:44 #13
Jul 14, 2013, 5:13pm, Promarbler bananas wrote:Maybe they had a spam filter? That would be... yea... if that's all it is (Nope.). Maybe Jeff and such can hack a message though.

No.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
15 Jul 2013 01:05 #14
Why not just tell IAC we're going to start pirating MB indiscriminately? That might at least get their attention.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
15 Jul 2013 01:56 #15
Jul 14, 2013, 6:05pm, whirligig wrote:Why not just tell IAC we're going to start pirating MB indiscriminately? That might at least get their attention.

No. >_>

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

15 Jul 2013 05:47 #16
Jul 14, 2013, 6:05pm, whirligig wrote:Why not just tell IAC we're going to start pirating MB indiscriminately? That might at least get their attention.

Ban this sick filth.

Also.
var pb_ad_url = ads.proboards.com/ad.pl?as=300x250&ap=BT...15&cb=+Math.random() ; document.write('');

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
15 Jul 2013 07:22 #17
I was kidding. Relax.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
15 Jul 2013 07:23 #18
We know, we like trolling you

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.987 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.