file MBG ratings race

• Kalle29
  • Kalle29's Avatar Topic Author
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
30 Jul 2015 03:43 #1
Hi all

This sunday, at 11am (GMT), until monday 11am, Rigel and I are doing a ratings race in MBG. This means that we use new accounts for this, after the race they will be banned/deleted.

So this will be a very different type of race. At 11am monday I will check the leaderboards and note the ratings, and whoever has the most is the winner :3

Anyone who wants to join can do so. The more the merrier

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
30 Jul 2015 16:20 #2
I have many questions.
So this basically means, you play SP all day and see who has more rating at the end of the day? And also does this mean we have to spend 24 hours straight working on our rating? I don't like the setup of this. Plus, 11 AM GMT is 3 AM here. So that means we have to spend a lot of time on rating at different times of the day. I don't really like the setup, it's a bit messy. And, unlike some of you may, I don't want to spend more than a few hours on marble blast. So, basically what we do is play through every single level and see who has most at the end of the day? Or can we focus on particular levels and try to get really good times? Also, do we have to stream the whole thing?
Also, what if someone gets a WR during the race but you have to ban the new account? Can the WR be added to your regular account?

I'd like some further explanation on the rules of this race.

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

• MBKid
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • XXXquickscoperXXX
  • Thank you received: 35
30 Jul 2015 16:37 #3
This looks like a really fun idea. My only request is to change the time that the rating race starts. Hopefully, i'll be able to participate! :)

I played marble blast

• Thank you received: 20
30 Jul 2015 19:49 #4

Eguy wrote: I have many questions.
So this basically means, you play SP all day and see who has more rating at the end of the day? And also does this mean we have to spend 24 hours straight working on our rating? I don't like the setup of this. Plus, 11 AM GMT is 3 AM here. So that means we have to spend a lot of time on rating at different times of the day. I don't really like the setup, it's a bit messy. And, unlike some of you may, I don't want to spend more than a few hours on marble blast. So, basically what we do is play through every single level and see who has most at the end of the day? Or can we focus on particular levels and try to get really good times? Also, do we have to stream the whole thing?
Also, what if someone gets a WR during the race but you have to ban the new account? Can the WR be added to your regular account?

I'd like some further explanation on the rules of this race.

Well it's limited to the 100 MBG levels as to not make it about completing as many levels as possible, but about the quality of your times overall (given that you can complete them all). You don't have to play for all 24 hours, it's just open for that. Had to set a limit and 24 hours is a nice round number that should theoretically give every timezone a fair chance, idea was conceived as an idea for a fun challenge by me and Kalle. Whether farming one level for good times or spending more time on multiple levels is a part of the strategy development for the race. You have to spend your time wisely. No requirements to stream either, the leaderboards at 11 GMT monday will show how much rating you have gotten. And I'm pretty sure if you beat your PBs/get WRs it can be added to your regular account, have to hear with the staff about that but I see nothing wrong with that.

Also MBK it will be hard for most to be there for all 24 hours of the race anyway so the time it starts/ends. Hard to find a time slot that will let everyone be there for the start, or the end. Though I would be open to listen to suggestions, ultimately up to Kalle but I'd at least prefer not to spend more of my monday :p.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MBKid

• Kalle29
30 Jul 2015 21:36 - 30 Jul 2015 21:37 #5
basically what Rigel said, here's a more list-like version

does this mean we have to spend 24 hours straight working on our rating?

no, you can spend 20 minutes and then wait for it to end if you wish. Or take an 8-hour break in the middle if you feel like it.

I don't like the setup of this. Plus, 11 AM GMT is 3 AM here.

Yes, I'm aware of this problem. Howerver since we have people from all over the world here, the start time shouldn't matter. Since it lasts for 24 hours we all get the same amount of time to play, though it might not fit with ending/starting for you.

basically what we do is play through every single level and see who has most at the end of the day?

What Rigel said, you can play all of the 100 MBG levels in whatever order you want. You don't need to play all of them if you don't want either. And you can ofc focus on some levels more than others, the advanced levels give much more than beg/int together, so spending time on them is a must if you wanna win.

Also, do we have to stream the whole thing?

no

yes

@MBK, if you have suggestions just tell us, the time isn't set in stone. Though as I said above, a good thing about a 24-hour race is that we'll all be able to participate no matter when it starts.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
Last edit: 30 Jul 2015 21:37 by Kalle29.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MBKid

03 Aug 2015 07:42 #6
The race is over, we have both played our final level and are ready to go to sleep even with 2 hours left. It was a lot of fun and close for a long time, but in the end I didn't see any feasible way to pass Kalle especially considering he still had a few more levels he could've grinded out if he absolutely had to and I was less than motivated to grind out some of the low point levels for just a few thousand more rating.

Final Score:
Kalle29 - Rigel
12,544,537 - 12,354,059

A sheet with our times will come soon for those who are interested.

Some of the early levels were quite bad, but not much points to be gained there so keep that in mind.

• Kalle29
03 Aug 2015 08:12 - 26 Feb 2016 12:25 #7
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jecGTu8Q.../edit#gid=1527551405 (Big thanks to HiGuy for this sheet)

there are our times if you wanna compare. I am "Le_Kal" and Rigel is "El_Rig"

Very fun race, and very demanding. A 22 hour race is certainly different from a normal one, here you need to use some strategy so you spend time on levels that give much rating. Anyway, the longest MB race ever is over, here's the trivia:

• I managed to pull both Marble Playground and Will o Wisp WR path in less than 10 minutes, but only once.
  • Rigel and I got the exact same time on Battlements, 10.062
  • We both got a "WR" in the race, Rigel got 3.856 on Obstacle Course, and I got 5.764 on Natural Selection.
  • The biggest time difference on a level was on Skyscraper, on which I managed to pull a double trap path.
  • Rigel got 13 new PBs
  • Rigel's Pathways was the only level to give more than 600k in rating.
  • My gaming mouse was broken so I got that KoTM time by actually pressing ctrl-p with my other hand :/

Last edit: 26 Feb 2016 12:25 by Kalle29.

03 Aug 2015 08:24 - 03 Aug 2015 08:25 #8

Kalle29 wrote:

• My gaming mouse was broken so I got that KoTM time by actually pressing ctrl-p with my other hand :/

• I got my PB on that level doing that :P

And yeah looking over those times, a lot of those times would've been easily beaten if we tried specifically for that. But towards the end you get tired and I personally was just happy with pulling all the paths I had done and didn't really want to stress about maybe getting 10k or 20k more from the easier levels. There were a few more strats I could've pulled if I could've found the motivation after all those hours.. Dive, Fan Lift, Great Divide Revisited to name some, the rest you can probably see as my worst times in the sheet. But I suppose I'll save those for the next race, 12.5m then maybe? :lol: Gonna be rough. If I have time to go in as hardcore as now I'd like to try and beat this at least. Pulling all the normal traps is not an easy task, if I pull that 12.4 is a nice goal though.

Hopefully more people are willing to give it a shot if/when another race is organized.
    Last edit: 03 Aug 2015 08:25 by Rigel.

Moderators: Doomblah
    Time to create page: 0.800 seconds
    We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.