Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Josep_Nollette
  • Josep_Nollette's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
14 May 2018 01:02 #1
Hey guys,
When PlatinumQuest came out last July, one thing I noticed was how the default font for the on-screen texts plus the GUI was changed from Dom Casual (in the Demo) to Whitney. In the Options menu, I did see an option of changing the statistics font (the gem counter and timer) from Whitney back to Marker Felt Thin.
I personally don't care about which font is used in the game, but I believe some around here would prefer Dom Casual, while others would prefer Whitney, which is why I've made a poll. Can the devs around here add the option to change the text font as well?
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
14 May 2018 03:00 #2
Hi Josep,

As of 2.3.6 there is an option to change the default font to whatever you want-- you are NOT limited to Whitney or Marker Felt. Go to your client prefs file and change this:
$pref::DefaultFont

As this changes practically all UI elements to use the font you just typed in, expect everything to look weird. In addition some stuff might scale wrong but there is nothing we can do or will do about it.

You can also add in custom fonts yourself by adding the proper .gft files into platinum\core\ui\cache . If you install the .TTF to your system as well (if it's a custom font) this will be useful as well.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josep_Nollette

• Josep_Nollette
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
14 May 2018 06:21 #3
Is the file you're talking about MBPprefs.cs in platinum/client?
Seeing as how that file was the only one file with $prefs in it, I looked into it and didn't see $pref::DefaultFont. Was I supposed to add that myself?
Thanks again.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
14 May 2018 12:42 - 14 May 2018 22:18 #4
Yes it is mbpprefs.cs in platinum./client.

If you are in 2.3.6 or above you will find these lines pretty early on:

$pref::DefaultFontBold = "Squishney";
$pref::DefaultFont = "Whatney";
$pref::DefaultFontItalic = "Whatney Italic";

You can change those as needed. If you can't find them, you can indeed add them yourself (supported only in 2.3.6 or above).

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
Last edit: 14 May 2018 22:18 by HiGuy. Reason: ** fixed prefs (hi matan)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josep_Nollette

• Josep_Nollette
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
19 May 2018 20:12 #5
Thanks once again.

It appears that only four users have cast their vote. Only one has voted for Dom Casual, while the other three voted for Whitney. Maybe the devs were on to something.
Since I forgot to add a "Don't care" option, I'll just assume that those who don't care didn't vote.

BTW I was curious to know what "FunnyInsideJoke", "Squatney", "Squishney" and "Whatney" were. I copied the curious files into the cache folder of another MBG mod, renamed them to DomCasualD, and then ran that mod. Sure enough, FunnyInsideJoke is actually Tekton, while the other three are different styles of Whitney.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
21 May 2018 02:54 - 21 May 2018 02:57 #6
Some history behind font naming:

When I was looking through different fonts for PQ I discovered MB had a Very Bad Time with any fonts that weren't simple names with default style. Trying things like Helvetica Neue LT Std 77 Bold Condensed made the game unhappy so I ended up renaming them to various funny messages like NotMarkerFelt and CrashierThanPQ. We ended up using various styles of Whitney because it was readable at smaller sizes-- anything fancy was illegible at < 18pt because Torque has bad font rendering.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
Last edit: 21 May 2018 02:57 by HiGuy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josep_Nollette, CylinderKnot, CyberMedium

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
22 May 2018 12:04 #7
Plus, Whitney gives a more professional look to the game...

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

The following user(s) said Thank You: Josep_Nollette, Yoshicraft224

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.944 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.