file Rant: N00B MODS!

• Jeff
  • Jeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
26 Jul 2011 20:08 #1
Hello all. Today, I would like to rant about noob mods, and how I feel about them. Later in the post, I am going to also rant about that rule of about posting in mod threads.

Dedicated to Nobody

Topic: Noob Mods!

Ok, so first, before I start and mod owners start flipping out because I will mention names of the mods that I think are noobish, let me point out my definition of a N00B mod.

Noob Mod: A mod that is still new to the developing world and is not a sequal to a mod. A mod that steals ideas from other mods too, and a mod that just does not look very appealing. Also, they are mods that have no clear direction or plan, and that are started by people who have not proven their worth to the community (andrew sears, from msn). (Nobody, correct me if I am wrong).

Now, here are some mods that I feel are completely Noobish, and I will explain why for each of the noob mods.

Noob Mods: MBIsland,MBTurbo,MB9, and And Many others!

Noob Mod explainations:

MBIsland: Not much of a plan, may become un-noobish, since AJ F. is a really good level maker. I have seen his work in marble blast future, and he is really good. It is only noobish because of the lack of plan and because its new, but it may have potential. Prove me wrong AJ

MBTurbo: Lamp47 is not even 13 and yet he is going to be a main part in 2 mods? That may make one worry...

MB9: BlazerYo is running it. Nuff' said. (and seizure22 is not in it, so good luck with the coding)

So there you have it. Mod leaders, please take this as encouragement, and these are my opinions about your fellow mods. I also hope that this will not earn me warning level, since I said nothing profane either.

Topic: Mod Board Rule:
I feel that people should be allowed to post negative things about mods, cause some mods deserve it. I think also that we should not get warning level for speaking out.
Nuff said.

Topic: How to get rid of noob mods:
Just stop the production of noob mods mb.com! Encourage more level making, instead of noob mods!

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Jeff, Marble Blast Programmer

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dobrakmato
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
26 Jul 2011 20:53 #2
^^^ Damn. Wow. Big post.

I am currently making better textures for MBAdventure, so the textures will not be terrible any longer. NaCl rejected my marbles, but it doesn't matter because I didn't like them much either. And I don't know much about mod illegality, so no comment about that.

AJ has a good plan for his mod, Marble Blast Island. I don't know if the mod will succeed or fail. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it will fail. You can't judge a mod a few days after it's announced.

No comment on MBTurbo. Marble Blast 9 was not really a n00b mod. It was a good mod with a bad leader.

When you say you want everyone else to take this as encouragement, I don't see how they can. Flaming them won't do much good. I think this would have been a much better post if you didn't single out mods you think may fail. Don't get me wrong, I hate n00b mods too, and I want them to stop, but I believe that there are better ways to deal with this than attacking mods.

I don't like the mod support rule either, but a rule is a rule is nonetheless and rules must be followed.

I agree about your post completely except for the list of n00b mods. There are n00b mods on these forums, but they don't need to be singled out. If you had not included that section in your post, I would agree 100%. You are a good friend Jeff, and I'm not mad at you or anything, but I just feel like this needs to be said.

• dobrakmato
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
26 Jul 2011 20:59 #3
Good post Jeff!
Argee with Kwill about MB9.

And please make textures good!

• Thank you received: 91
26 Jul 2011 21:06 #4
Don't worry, textures are better than they were before.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
26 Jul 2011 21:06 #5
yes, this post should definitely have a follow up to see if my opinons change

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
26 Jul 2011 21:17 #6
O Yeah, followup! I wonder what that could be?

• Thank you received: 91
26 Jul 2011 22:32 #7
Very nice post, I agree with everything you said. (as expected)

Jul 26, 2011, 1:08pm, jeff wrote:
Topic: Mod Board Rule:
I feel that people should be allowed to post negative things about mods, cause some mods deserve it. I think also that we should not get warning level for speaking out.
Nuff said.

To elaborate, I'd like to point out that you should never have a rule that limits people from giving constructive criticism. Even if only one post is given, members should have the right to say what they want, as long as it is within the confines of the rules. Being a public forum, users should understand that by posting, you are subject to disagreement.

And to whoever complains that users criticize mods too often, you're wrong. Solid criticism of a mod will improve it, no matter at what stage it is given. Censoring that for the sake of peoples' feelings is counterproductive and limits the quality of a mod. If they don't want criticism, they shouldn't be posting on an internet forum.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
26 Jul 2011 22:36 #8
I 110% agree with you nobody, I think its the forum's member's duty to give critisism if they are experts. They are only trying to help, but some people just do not seem to get it :/

• NaCl586
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • An Ordinary Marble Blaster
  • Thank you received: 70
26 Jul 2011 22:54 #9
As I mentioned before, I don't like the mod support rule. The only reason I posted what I posted was because of the rule. Jeff and I talked a little more, and I realized I was wrong. If a mod sucks, the creator should know it. I try to be nice and encouraging, but sometimes criticism is necessary. I don't like that rule and we would be better off without it. I agree 100% with Jeff and nobody. We should be able to speak our minds here.

I'm just an ordinary marble blaster who like to create new and unusual things.

Creator of the Marble Blast GLC series
Check out and download my custom levels here .
Check out my original musics in this thread and in my soundcloud here .

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
26 Jul 2011 23:23 #10
Added a poll, please vote!

Edit: I will not vote so that theres are actual real results for the forum staff.

• Thank you received: 15
27 Jul 2011 01:07 #11
All of you guys who claim that the support board rule limits constructive criticism have clearly not read the rule at all. What the rule is supposed to prevent is all the repetitive posts saying stuff like Your mod sucks and will fail. That is an example of someone giving their opinion but not backing it up, in other words, not constructive. It is perfectly fine for you to express your dislike for a mod, but be prepared to state exactly why and to give suggestions on how the mod can improve. Thus we are allowing the constructive criticism that you claim is being prohibited.

To sum up: the rule is fine the way it is, so I vote no.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
27 Jul 2011 02:33 #12
wow, am I stupid, thx for locking the poll

• NaCl586
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • An Ordinary Marble Blaster
  • Thank you received: 70
28 Jul 2011 09:18 #13
Im going to do cleanups for MBAdventure and it will be on vid (MB video of the day 28/7/11)
The title of that is cleaning the illegals
that vid will be 50 min or longer

EDIT 1: All done

I'm just an ordinary marble blaster who like to create new and unusual things.

Creator of the Marble Blast GLC series
Check out and download my custom levels here .
Check out my original musics in this thread and in my soundcloud here .

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.799 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.