file BlastedMarble's Level Building Topic

• Thank you received: 198
24 Jul 2014 05:47 #31
Great MP levels! Im totally going to put those in my going-to-download-mp-levels list.

lee is awesome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 22
24 Jul 2014 07:27 - 24 Jul 2014 07:29 #32
Here's my review of the four multiplayer levels you have revealed so far, judging them solely from the pictures you posted.

Complex Speedrun

I like the combination of red and green textures used in this level. However, I don't understand why it's called "Complex Speedrun". In my opinion, that name does not fit the level, as it looks neither complex nor speedy. It appears to be a simple and small level, which does not really allow players to go particularly fast. I think you need to find another name for it.

As Matan said in his post, the level requires more Super Jumps. With the current scarcity of them, it looks like it would only play well in a 1v1 match, and even then, it wouldn't hurt to have more of them.

I also think you could make the level a bit bigger and make it a bit more diverse, as even for 1v1 matches, it does not look like it will offer much in terms of replayability. Although I understand you might want to keep the level simple, I think it might currently be a bit too simple.

Omega Territory

This level's overall layout needs to be improved, as there is a lack of connectivity between the level's different sections, due to the way its interior is constructed and due to its apparent low amount of power-ups. It is too spread out and there are not enough ways to move across it. I would suggest either making it more compact or keeping it the same size but adding more ways to traverse it, by creating new paths and placing more power-ups. I think this level could possibly be quite decent if you fixed those issues.

Meridian

The upper section of the level (beyond the rug wall and rug ramp) looks interesting, but you need to add more ways to access it, especially due to the fact that it is elevated from the rest of the level. Instead of simply having a rug wall and a rug ramp as the ways to enter it, maybe you could create an "intermediary" section between the upper and lower sections of the level to connect them both, while at the same time adding multiple alternative pathways that do not require passing through this middle section, or maybe simply adding more power-ups to get to the upper section.

Maze of Misery

"Misery" is a fitting word for this level, as the narrow pathways and the lack of any floor under them look like they could make playing this level in multiplayer quite frustrating. Humor aside, you either need to make the paths wider, or add something under them to act as a "safeguard" so that the level is not too difficult to play, or a combination of the two. Nevertheless, nice job on the curves in this level, they look great and give the level a "smooth" look.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2014 07:29 by Ultra.

• Thank you received: 16
24 Jul 2014 13:54 #33
Complex Speedrun was originally a singleplayer level, which can be downloaded from BlastedMarbles level topic. It has a whole lot of teleporters which should make things fun!

I think that in-game I'll prefer the levels with wider paths, and the ones arranged so that if I fall off of one part of the map I'll have a chance to land on another. You could probably do this with a little bit of scenery (pillars) to bounce off of and back onto the map.
Also, the layout for most of the level in Omega Territory and Meridian is very good, just a few places that go off from the level aren't the best.

i have a flickr

• Blasted
  • Blasted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Speedrunner and Level Maker
  • Thank you received: 105
17 Feb 2016 00:04 #34
I've been thinking about making a level that focuses heavily on magnets. A level where you face challenges centered around magnets. That level will be "Magnetism". The idea is to make this an expert level with innovative challenges, but I'll try to be as innovative as I can for this one.

As for the MP levels, Omega Territory has been done. The other three are cancelled until further notice.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
17 Feb 2016 00:26 #35
Not trying to be a buzzkill, mate, but magnets are worse than tightropes.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nockess

• Thank you received: 405
17 Feb 2016 00:28 #36
For some.

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
17 Feb 2016 01:46 #37

Kalle29 wrote: Not trying to be a buzzkill, mate, but magnets are worse than tightropes.

Seconding Kalle, I think that magnets are worse than tightropes, and for that matter, worse than anything ielse in the game (yes, even Carcaddy's). They can be a nuisance in some levels if they're not used properly, and they sound...awful.

Blasted, I will give you this that you don't really see magnets in levels anymore. No matter how annoying they can be, I think it would be nice to play a new level with magnets in it. I say go ahead and make a level based off your idea. Hopefully it'll be a fun level. :)

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
17 Feb 2016 02:31 #38
To be perfectly fair, anything in the game can become annoying if done poorly. Go ahead with this idea, can't wait to see what happens.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derpky

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
17 Feb 2016 08:23 - 17 Feb 2016 08:24 #39

BlastedMarble wrote:

Xedron wrote: because not everybody loves insanely hard tightrope challenges

I said the level would focus heavily on magnets, not tightropes.

A larger number, which is larger than what one actually hopes that number actually is, of this community doesn't actually read posts or messages even when directed at them. I learned it a few years back. Stopped trying to fight it because it gets worse on its own.

Threefolder wrote: To be perfectly fair, anything in the game can become annoying if done poorly. Go ahead with this idea, can't wait to see what happens.

Correct. I've actually seen over the past few years levels involving magnets that those challenges were actually fun. Takes a bit of thinking outside the box, but quite doable.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 08:24 by IsraeliRD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three, Regislian, Derpky

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
26 Mar 2016 01:18 - 26 Mar 2016 21:27 #40
I've been thinking about Magnetism and thought of postponing the idea. After all, you guys said the idea would handle poorly when finalized.

I already have lots of ideas for multiplayer levels. One of them is a construction theme. The level will be called "Unfinished Skyscraper". It may take a few months to build (maybe less) because of school and rebuilding it to work on the quality. The level will have rotating objects if I can ever find a tutorial on that.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 21:27 by Blasted. Reason: Making the level tall.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
26 Mar 2016 04:09 #41

BlastedMarble wrote: The level will have rotating objects if I can ever find a tutorial on that.

marbleblast.com/index.php/forum/mb-level...ting-a-moving-object ;)

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
30 Mar 2016 22:44 - 30 Mar 2016 22:46 #42
Aside from that MP level, I'm also planning on making a singleplayer level named "BlastedMarble's Ultimate Challenge". This will include skills you learned from using my friction surfaces. I decided to put them into good use to make it easier to find innovation.

On a further note, updates to levels posted on this topic will be on my twitter. Link to it is below and the front page of my topic.

twitter.com/BlastedMarble
Last edit: 30 Mar 2016 22:46 by Blasted.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
02 Apr 2016 21:16 #43
Unfinished Skyscraper's first section is almost done. Here are some pictures of the level's progress.

Warning: Spoiler!

I was going to add the half pipe and quarter pipe I made into the level, but because of the bugs I may not add them.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
06 Apr 2016 23:11 #44
Unfinished Skyscraper's first section is finished. Click below for a screenshot.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
01 May 2016 23:03 - 01 May 2016 23:04 #45
BlastedMarble's Ultimate Challenge's main interior is done. Click below for screenshots.

Scenery will be added to make the level less bland. They are separate interiors.
Last edit: 01 May 2016 23:04 by Blasted.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
01 May 2016 23:51 #46
There are no speed boosters in this level. That can make the one challenge too easy.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
02 May 2016 21:59 - 02 May 2016 22:01 #47
Double posting for a small question. Do you think I should add scenery for BlastedMarble's Ultimate Challenge or not? The reason I ask this is because when I was adding the scenery to the level, I noticed that they make the level more obscure than it should. I was planning on making it more Water Master Course-esque with no scenery. That's just my opinion. I'm just asking for your opinion. Vote is on my twitter below:

twitter.com/BlastedMarble
Last edit: 02 May 2016 22:01 by Blasted.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
02 May 2016 22:35 #48
If the scenery interferes with the gameplay, don't add it. However, if there's a way to create the scenery so it does NOT interfere with the gameplay, then put it in.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
07 May 2016 19:08 #49
BlastedMarble's Ultimate Challenge has been released. Download it on my level thread.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
13 May 2016 23:31 - 13 May 2016 23:31 #50
Unfinished Skyscraper's second section is more than halfway done. It will just be pipe maze so I should be able to finish it relatively quickly.

Last edit: 13 May 2016 23:31 by Blasted.

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
20 May 2016 07:15 #51
Just... how did you got those pipes without any conversion errors nor Map2Dif slaughter?

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
20 May 2016 13:05 - 20 May 2016 13:05 #52
Each pipe is two grids long and is a separate interior. That's why I had to make them small enough to convert successfully. Pipe turn and pipe intersect being two of those separate interiors.
Last edit: 20 May 2016 13:05 by Blasted.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
05 Jun 2016 15:57 #53
Unfinished Skyscraper's second and third sections are done. The final part, the cranes, is halfway done. Click below to see pictures.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
11 Jun 2016 02:35 #54
Unfinished Skyscraper is finished and will be released first thing tomorrow. That said, I like to mention my next actual multiplayer level. It is a combination of Bowl and Triumvirate. The name is as simple as "Tri-Bowl". Basically, three towers are surrounding the center bowl and you go inside and outside the bowl.

Aside from that, I'd like to work on the SNES Battle Course pack. They will be bigger than the GBA Battle Courses and have slightly longer time limits. I will probably dabble between those and "Tri-Bowl".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Weather

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
18 Jun 2016 14:55 #55
Double-posting.

Sorry, but I think I have to cancel Tri-Bowl. Making this map without the constructor camera may not be possible. Besides, I might not be the best level builder to pull this off. I might have to be like other great level builders and make levels as phenomenal as theirs. Thats why I need to practice improving my level skills in order for me to make PQ levels.

I'll be making simpler levels but they won't be original. I might not be the best level builder the community has been looking for.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
18 Jun 2016 15:45 - 18 Jun 2016 15:49 #56
I was looking forward to Tri-Bowl, and I think you're totally good enough of a level builder to make that level. :) And if you finish it and don't think it's good, just keep working on it.
Also, what do you mean by constructor camera?

By the way, I've noticed that two rotating interiors (at least I think they rotate) aren't included in your Unfinished Skyscraper download. They're supposed to appear in the yellow area.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2016 15:49 by Weather.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blasted

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
18 Jun 2016 16:01 - 18 Jun 2016 16:02 #57
Did you try re-installing Constructor?
Make sure to backup albums.db when you do.

Last edit: 18 Jun 2016 16:02 by Three.

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
18 Jun 2016 16:11 #58
Re-installing isn't going to work. I already tried. Its probably because I have a windows 10 and its mouse sensitivity is horrible with programs like constructor.

However, even without the camera, I can still make levels big or small. I already have a very simple one in the making.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
18 Jun 2016 19:27 #59
How is the camera broken? Can you not move it at all, or is it just slow?

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Blasted
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
18 Jun 2016 20:04 #60
Its just too fast. Really crazy.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.202 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.