SUPPORT BOARD OVERVIEW & TIPS:

About Receiving Help from the Support Board: While all members may answer questions posted in the Support board, you should only rely on responses posted or confirmed by support moderators and website administrators. Any solutions provided by members of the community that are not verified by a staff member (as indicated by a light-green background) are provided as-is, and we cannot take responsibility for any of the results of said actions.

About Responding to Support Threads: If you feel you know the answer to a question, you are welcome to respond to the thread and politely offer assistance. Please be courteous and try to provide detailed and helpful solutions to users who may not be as advanced as you. We ask that you refrain from posting one-sentence solutions.

Please search for existing topics before creating one! It's quite likely someone else has already encountered a similar issue which was resolved. You can search for existing support threads by clicking here .

About Topic Tags:

* Topics denoted with the [OPEN] tag are awaiting a response from the end user. You are welcome to post in these threads if you are experiencing a similar issue so we may provide further support.

* Topics denoted with the [RESOLVED] title have been successfully answered and confirmed by a support moderator and the end user, and should be used as a reference. These topics are locked.

* Topics denoted with the [CLOSED] tag were either inactive for more than 30 days or the end user did not respond to a suggestion and confirm if the issue was resolved. These topics are locked.

file [CLOSED] Read Marker Issues

• Sporlo
  • Sporlo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Thank you received: 2
17 Jan 2014 23:45 - 03 Dec 2015 12:48 #1
On separate occasions most of my unread flags will suddenly become read without me reading them or manually marking them as read.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 12:48 by Aayrl.
  • Thank you received: 123
18 Jan 2014 04:32 #2
I think it will automatically mark it as read if you haven't bothered to read them for a while. If you think about it, it saves time marking topics you don't care about as read. Then, later, you can easily pick up on the newer ones that may be of your interest.

I'm assuming that's what you meant. You weren't exactly giving much of a description.
  • Sporlo
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
18 Jan 2014 05:26 #3
I believe you are correct.
However I'm not sure I even like the concept. That's what the manual "mark as read" links are for.

In any case, if we must have this "feature", it'd be nice to increase the grace period. It's currently sitting at a matter of days (like, TWO days). How about weeks or months?

Actually, one of the only reasons I haven't been reading every post is simply due to the slow loading times (8 seconds to generate each page and maybe 25% page failure).
18 Jan 2014 11:58 #4
Speaking on page creation speed, I'm looking at the "Time to create page" below the posts and it is much slower than usual. For this topic, it took 2.2 seconds, while the Right or wrong 2013 topic took about 6.3 seconds to generate. Not to mention how long it takes to send the requests afterwards.

I do think that the grace period should definitely be controllable, if what was said before was the case.
  • IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
18 Jan 2014 13:19 #5
... I really need to get a dedicated server...

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
  • Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
  • Thank you received: 10
18 Jan 2014 16:51 #6
I concur, if it didn't take 2-6 seconds to load each page I would be reading more posts and contributing in more conversations. The website looks nice but the forum experience in particular has certainly taken a dive since we left Proboards.
  • IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
19 Jan 2014 09:07 #7
See latest news post. I get 200%, HiGuy 400%. Regardless, some page load times are now under 1 second. Some might be a still 2-4 seconds.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
  • Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
  • Thank you received: 10
23 Jan 2014 20:22 #8
My time has risen 100% rather than decreased. Page load times around 6 - 10 seconds now.
23 Jan 2014 21:27 #9
Blame Dreamhost, apparently. I'm guessing it's sporadic.
  • Sporlo
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
24 Jan 2014 18:58 - 24 Jan 2014 18:58 #10
Ok the unread markers are disappearing due to a bug. It's been less than 12 hours since some posts have been made and I haven't read them, yet I just logged in and the whole forum was marked read.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2014 18:58 by Sporlo.
25 Jan 2014 13:08 #11
Are you using Safari? I think its "Top Sites" feature contacts webpages to get previews, which I believe may set a few cookies.
  • Thank you received: 368
28 Jan 2014 15:29 #12
Promarbler is correct in assuming cookies may result in problems. I believe the Kunena 'Topic Read' marker is determined by cookie values and your previous user session time. I also believe the markers will auto-set themselves if you click on the 'Recent Topics' link on the forums (the one that displays the 100 most recent topics). I'll see what I can do to fix this issue when we update our site in a couple of weeks.

~Aayrl
  • Sporlo
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
24 Apr 2014 07:04 - 24 Apr 2014 07:05 #13
I'm curious if you've found out anything about the markers. I reconfirmed today that the whole forum will clear its unread markers after simply visiting the site multiple times. Shouldn't they stay no matter what links you click, so long as it's not the particular thread that has unread posts?
Last edit: 24 Apr 2014 07:05 by Sporlo.
  • Thank you received: 368
29 Apr 2014 12:34 #14
Any chance you could try to walk me through what actions you are performing in your browser to replicate the bug?

I have noticed if you click the 'Recent Topics' panel, and then leave and return to the site, it will mark all of those topics as 'read'. I believe this is intended, though I will continue to look into the issue and see if I can replicate it using different browsers. Seems to be working okay for Firefox.

~Aayrl
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.935 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.