SUPPORT BOARD OVERVIEW & TIPS:

About Receiving Help from the Support Board: While all members may answer questions posted in the Support board, you should only rely on responses posted or confirmed by support moderators and website administrators. Any solutions provided by members of the community that are not verified by a staff member (as indicated by a light-green background) are provided as-is, and we cannot take responsibility for any of the results of said actions.

About Responding to Support Threads: If you feel you know the answer to a question, you are welcome to respond to the thread and politely offer assistance. Please be courteous and try to provide detailed and helpful solutions to users who may not be as advanced as you. We ask that you refrain from posting one-sentence solutions.

Please search for existing topics before creating one! It's quite likely someone else has already encountered a similar issue which was resolved. You can search for existing support threads by clicking here .

About Topic Tags:

* Topics denoted with the [OPEN] tag are awaiting a response from the end user. You are welcome to post in these threads if you are experiencing a similar issue so we may provide further support.

* Topics denoted with the [RESOLVED] title have been successfully answered and confirmed by a support moderator and the end user, and should be used as a reference. These topics are locked.

* Topics denoted with the [CLOSED] tag were either inactive for more than 30 days or the end user did not respond to a suggestion and confirm if the issue was resolved. These topics are locked.

lock [RESOLVED] Marble Blast Gold Not working

• disorientedperson
  • disorientedperson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • 0__0
  • Thank you received: 0
24 Sep 2014 01:26 - 17 Oct 2014 00:26 #1
I tried downloading the old Marble Blast Gold from this website. When I tried to launch it, I saw an error message saying "Hardware failed to switch to the specified mode". Does anyone know a remedy to that? :dry:
Last edit: 17 Oct 2014 00:26 by Regislian.
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 123
24 Sep 2014 17:19 #2
What is your OS and its version? Have you successfully run Marble Blast Gold before? Have you tried multiple setups or settings for it, like different screen resolutions?

I personally have never seen it, but if your system is really new, some extended capabilities may have been obsoleted or have new issues, since it is an old game. If you just want the levels, you can play the Marble Blast Gold levels in MBP, which you can also download from the site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: disorientedperson
  • disorientedperson
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • 0__0
25 Sep 2014 22:55 #3
I'm running Vista on a slow computer. The computer I'm using is insanely slow, but I thought MBG might work anyway since it is 4 years older than this computer.
  • disorientedperson
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • 0__0
25 Sep 2014 23:00 #4
I guess i could try MBP... I don't think it'll run on the beast I'm using, though...(Vista, and turtle speed)
one of my error msgs r attached
Attachments:
26 Sep 2014 10:15 #5
Strange... seems like a graphics driver issue. Have you checked for driver updates? (like it recommends?) Do you have an old installation of MBG somewhere? Have you tried running as an administrator or with Windows XP compatibility (right click the original, and see properties)? Finally, I do recommend at least trying MBP, as it should default to windowed mode, and it is not as slow as you would think (except when our lazy coders made it that way ;))

I'm just not super familiar with Windows Vista; I'm not even sure if people here still use it. Sorry if this all appears as a jumble, I may be able to provide better assistance later when I'm more awake. :P

That titlebar could be in the code... hmm... (side thought)
  • IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
26 Sep 2014 12:15 #6
I don't think it got to the point where it launches enough to get a prefs.cs, so what you can do is go to defaults.cs in marble/client and open it using notepad/other text editing program.
Check for:
$pref::Video::displayDevice = "OpenGL";
Change to Direct3D and try launching again.

If it doesn't work I'll attach a default prefs.cs and you can change OpenGL to D3D and vice versa and hopefully that works.
Also make sure you right click and Run as Administrator

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: disorientedperson
  • Thank you received: 18
27 Sep 2014 15:04 #7
This has happened to me before, the resolution is empty.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Marble Blast Gold\marble\client\prefs.cs
Open with WordPad or Notepad++.

If one of these are blank, put these in the boxs.
for: $pref::Video::resolution do "800 600 32"

for: $pref::Video::resolution do "800 600"

Hope this helped!

Screenshot: (note I changed my $pref::Video::resolution to my own preferences)

- TPorter

And he waddled away, waddle waddle..
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProMarbler, StewMan46, disorientedperson
  • disorientedperson
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • 0__0
27 Sep 2014 16:55 - 28 Sep 2014 14:56 #8
I do not have prefs.cs but in defaults.cs I saw the same thing
It was already set though

thx anyway!

. . .

IT IS WORKING

In prefs, I turned fullscreen off and it runs fine!
Last edit: 28 Sep 2014 14:56 by ProMarbler. Reason: Mild mental oops. Merged posts, moved MBP (not MBG) posts (back) to a new topic.
28 Sep 2014 14:44 - 28 Sep 2014 14:57 #9
Thanks TPorter!

Totally forgot about fullscreen, I even knew it could be an issue. I thought I had mentioned it.

In accordance to the other posts...
I merged a quintuple-post. Jake, please use the purple "Edit" button at the bottom-right of your post, if you forgot something you meant to say or if nobody else has posted a message after yours.

... wait. oops. That is all.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2014 14:57 by ProMarbler. Reason: info
The following user(s) said Thank You: tporter
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.059 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.