• MBOUltimate's Avatar Topic Author
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Personal text
  • Thank you received: 60
09 Apr 2022 18:14 - 20 Jun 2022 14:04 #1
2022 Summer Gem Hunt Tournament:

Overview:

Hello again! The middle of the year is fast approaching, and that can only mean one thing - a new gem hunt tournament. Last year, the gem hunt tournament was brought back after being absent in 2020, and was hosted by Nockess, Eguy, and myself. 32 players joined the tournament, and while a few dropped out along the way, it was largely very successful, with ItzJean beating Eguy 5-4 in the final match of the playoffs.

In this year's tournament, there will be some changes to the format, which will be outlined in the other sections below, including the time frame and group stage format. Tournament information will also be found in a future spreadsheet, and on the Discord in #tourney-info.

All players are welcome to join, but there will be a capacity limit of 32 players. To sign up, simply comment that you would like to join below.

Duration

Last year's tournament was split into two parts, with a Swiss group stage that began on June 13, 2021 and lasted six weeks to July 18th, with an additional spillover week afterwards; and then a playoffs stage which began on August 1st, and concluded in September 18th. In total, the tournament lasted three whole months. For many, this tournament duration felt too long, and some resigned due to multiplayer burnout as a result.

This year's tournament format aims to solve this issue by introducing a shorter group stage, lasting four weeks in total, before transitioning into a 24-player playoffs round to end the tournament. As a result, the tournament (and seeding) starting date will be June 20, 2022, with the Group Stages beginning June 27th, and playoffs hopefully beginning on July 18, 2022, with the tournament being wrapped up by sometime in mid-August.

Gem Hunt Pre-Seeding

This was the option that was unanimously voted for via Discord polling, with 13 people as of writing voting for this form of seeding over using the results of last year's tournament, so in this section I will explain how this will work.

On the week of the 20th of June, there will be a pre-seed round, where each player will complete solo Gem Hunt runs on four pre-determined levels. A person will have to accompany you in the server to confirm that you did not cheat your scores. They have the option of recording those runs on video if they so choose. Players are forbidden from respawning for a better first spawn - once you enter the level you have entered your only run.

This year, the maps will be Exoplanet, Hunting Around, Gems Ahoy!, and Promontory.

Unlike the rest of the tournament, this mode will be done on regular Hunt mode, instead of Competitive Mode.

After you have completed the four maps, they will be tallied up. The totals will reflect what pot you will land in. The top 25% of runners will land in Pot 1, the next 25% in Pot 2, and so on.

Group Stage

As mentioned before, this year's group stage will only last for four weeks. This is due to a change in how the group stage will be conducted. Instead of a Swiss system like before, there will be a round-robin format similar to one used at the FIFA World Cup and the UEFA European Football Championship tournaments. There will be four players in each group, determined by a draw that will be done on Monday, June 27, which will commence the main tournament.

Each player will play the other players in their group for a total of 3 matches per person. In each match, opponents will play each other for a total of 5 rounds, with two picks by each player, and a randomized map at the end. Unlike the last group stage format, you play your matches at any time over the duration of the group stage, meaning that you can choose to play all of your matches in 3 days if you so choose. The top three quarters of players in the table will qualify for the playoffs.

Playoffs

This year's playoffs will be slightly similar to last year's, with a play-in round to begin the playoffs. For much of the playoffs, the format will be Best of 7, meaning that the first player to reach four wins is the winner of the match. For the final match, the format will instead be Best of 9, with the first player to reach five wins becoming the winner of the match, and the tournament.

Rules:

General rules
  • Matches are to be played in Competitive Mode only. Seeding round will be played in regular Hunt mode.
  • Only official maps are allowed to be played, which are found in the Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced section of Hunt - no Frightfest/Winterfest/Custom maps allowed.
  • In the event of the crash, pause the match, take down both players scores, and resume from the nearest minute rounded up (for instance, if a Sprawl game crashed at 3:24 at 34-35, the game would resume at 4:00). After the match is over, add both scores together (so 34-35 + 104-105 = final score of 138-140) Replayed matches will always occur on the same map.
  • Intentionally crashing or otherwise terminating the process of the game to influence the result of a game is forbidden

Solo Gem Hunt rules
  • Once you enter the level, you have began your run. You cannot re-spawn for a better first spawn.
  • Deliberately tanking your score for a worse pot is forbidden.
  • Games have to be played on a multiplayer server that is not your own.
  • If you crash, take down the score, then restart from the time you crashed from. For instance, if you crashed at 3:45 on a 5:00 map, you play from 5:00 to 1:15. Combine both scores at the end.

Group Stage rules:
  • Group Stage matches are 5 games long, with each player picking two maps, and the randomizer picking the final map. Each map won is worth 1 point on the leaderboards.
  • The player who picks first in a match is determined by a coin flip. In game, this is done by typing "/random 1 2" in global chat without quotations. 1 will represent heads, and 2 will represent tails.
  • You can only pick a map once in the entire group round, so use your picks wisely, since other players will be able to pick it against you in the future.

Playoff rules
  • Playoff matches are Best of 7 (first to 4), except for the Finals and Bronze medal matches, which are a Best of 9 (first to 5)
  • In a playoff match, the lower seed picks first (so 7th will pick first against 2nd)
  • Starting from AFTER the play-in round, you are not allowed to pick a map more than once for the entire playoffs. Those who have qualified from the play-in round will have their picks restored.
  • In the event of a 3-3 draw after 6 games (in BO7) or a 4-4 draw after 8 games (in B09), the final map is picked by randomizer.

What is Competitive Mode?
Competitive mode is a new toggle added to Menu -> Server that changes some of the properties of multiplayer Gem Hunt to make it more competitively orientated. These include
  • A 20 second gem auto-respawn timer, which decreases to 15 seconds at 3 gems, 10 seconds at 2 gems, and 5 seconds at 1 gem remaining. This is mainly an anti-stalling measure that helps to keep the game flowing.
  • Mega Marble duration nerfed to 5s, as the Mega Marble is widely seen as the best powerup in Multiplayer due to the properties of the Mega Marble in combination with its long duration.
  • In regular hunt, both the regular and Ultra Blasts can push players. In Competitive Mode, only the Ultra Blast can push other players with the blast property.
  • The quick respawn feature (the respawn button) is disabled during Competitive Mode, as it can be used to gain an unfair advantage during competition.

• Comment below if there is anything that I have missed from the OP or elsewhere, so that I can add it to this post. Stay tuned for announcements in #tourney-announcements and information in #tourney-info.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2022 14:04 by MBOUltimate. Reason: Pre-Seed Maps
The following user(s) said Thank You: J@ckRB, Nockess, Connie, Doomblah, Yoshicraft224, Jean, Mazik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MBOUltimate
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Personal text
09 Apr 2022 18:14 - 15 May 2022 14:18 #2
Pre-Seeding Round and Group Stage Draw Sheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZrcoLanJ...D0VnX8UBUX42TleKxQE/

Group Stage and Playoffs Challonge Page:
challonge.com/gemhunt2022
Last edit: 15 May 2022 14:18 by MBOUltimate. Reason: Links

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
09 Apr 2022 20:01 #3
Sign me up boy the revenge tour begins now B)

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

• Connie
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • i code for balls
  • Thank you received: 64
09 Apr 2022 20:06 #4
hi helo I would like to sign up for the marble action

For the best Marble Blast levels, head over to:
- marbleland.vaniverse.io/pack/18

connieofro.neocities.org/

[img

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
09 Apr 2022 20:13 #5
ye

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5

• Thank you received: 2
09 Apr 2022 20:18 #6
fine ok I'm in

• Thank you received: 31
09 Apr 2022 20:28 #7
Assuming nothing gets in the way during or before the tourney, I'm in

• petalflurry
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • dm hot egg pics
  • Thank you received: 10
09 Apr 2022 23:00 #8
sure put me in

"cheater hakcer i want your flair gikemve me it" - MASON35, 2020

• J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
09 Apr 2022 23:05 #9
it time

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo

• Thank you received: 0
09 Apr 2022 23:06 #10
ill give it a shot, sing me up

• Thank you received: 5
09 Apr 2022 23:13 #11
Sign me up chief!

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
10 Apr 2022 00:26 - 10 Apr 2022 00:26 #12
There is no finer tradition of this community than saying "I'm in" on a tournament post without reading a single word in the first post.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 00:26 by Kalle29.

• petalflurry
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • dm hot egg pics
  • Thank you received: 10
10 Apr 2022 00:36 - 10 Apr 2022 00:37 #13
yes there is and it's 5 year old memes spammed to the point of unfunniness

"cheater hakcer i want your flair gikemve me it" - MASON35, 2020
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 00:37 by petalflurry.

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
10 Apr 2022 00:47 #14
(no one has noticed that the original post sayd 2021 and not 2022)

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

• Doomblah
  • Marble Blast Veteran
  • Thank you received: 83
10 Apr 2022 00:54 #15
Sign me up!

• MBOUltimate
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Personal text
10 Apr 2022 01:22 #16
Posting here to declare that I will also be participating in this tournament

• Jean
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • The only Maltese MB Player
  • Thank you received: 20
10 Apr 2022 03:32 #17
For win no.3. Lets fuck some shit up. I’m in.

If you don't like camping, go for all spawns, then boom no camping :D

be cool and watch my glorious videos and you get pat
www.youtube.com/channel/UCdizPA26rBvNfxQrpaJZqyw

• Thank you received: 3
10 Apr 2022 07:51 #18
SIUUUUUUUU, sign me up!

Notice how I don't communicate over the community as much? Yea, I think that's the reason I barely post. :P

• J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
10 Apr 2022 12:22 #19

Kalle29 wrote: There is no finer tradition of this community than saying "I'm in" on a tournament post without reading a single word in the first post.

reading is for nerds

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo

• Connie
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • i code for balls
  • Thank you received: 64
10 Apr 2022 12:24 - 10 Apr 2022 12:24 #20
less reading, more balls

For the best Marble Blast levels, head over to:
- marbleland.vaniverse.io/pack/18

connieofro.neocities.org/

[img

Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 12:24 by Connie.

• Thank you received: 146
10 Apr 2022 17:32 #21
Let's go!

Also, any rules for crashing in the solo hunt pre-seeding round?

:>

• Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
  • Thank you received: 294
11 Apr 2022 00:56 - 11 Apr 2022 00:58 #22
I will join

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017
Last edit: 11 Apr 2022 00:58 by Xedron. Reason: It makes me look like im answering robert

• eNetro
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Skilled PlatinumQuest Player
  • Thank you received: 49
11 Apr 2022 01:52 #23
Sure, why not??

Awesome Hint:

Since the Awesome Time/Score is secret, you will have to beat it in order to find out what it is. Just practice every day, and be ready to keep pressing the 'Restart' button...A LOT!

• c0wmanglr
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • looking to improve :)
11 Apr 2022 02:10 #24
Yeah

• Thank you received: 405
11 Apr 2022 03:24 #25
I won't be signing up this year. I feel that multiplayer is at its best when it is just fun and casual with a few people, not big and formal in an organized tournament. And I've had negative experiences with tournaments in the past. Best of luck to everyone participating though!

11 Apr 2022 05:26 #26
I volunteer as tribute.

we ball

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
11 Apr 2022 14:02 #27
Ill play
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert

• Ignas
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • The Sinister Blade
  • Thank you received: 1
11 Apr 2022 16:03 #28
I'm in.

"Forfeit the game before somebody else takes you out of the frame and puts your name to shame. Cover up your face, you can't run the race - the pace is too fast, you just won't last."

• Whitepoplar
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • How do I prove that I exist?
  • Thank you received: 4
11 Apr 2022 19:38 #29
Count me in!
I cannot know how much this matters to the organisers of this event at the moment, but I am able to host, hopefully for the entirety of the event—I may also be able to record, but do not pin your hopes on this possibility until I confirm or refute it.
I don't have any concluding witticisms with me at the moment.
Ay, cajole.

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

• Thank you received: 17
11 Apr 2022 21:31 #30
I'd like to join

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.314 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.