file 1v1(v1) Multiplayer Marble Blast Tournament

• Frostfire
  • Frostfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
26 Oct 2014 20:46 #91

mathmusicandmarbleblast wrote: Aren't the finals best of 9?

Anyway, congratulations Imperial on winning the tournament!!!
Also, who's supposed to do the write up on me vs. Regi?
I thought Regi was gonna do it, but maybe he was confused and thought I would do it?
Anyway, I'd appreciate if you could clarify Frosty :)

Imp did not win.

It's double elimination, which means you have to lose twice to be eliminated.

I should've said this earlier, sorry for the confusion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 255
26 Oct 2014 22:20 #92
And, just to be clear, finals haven't started yet, this was a semi-final.

• Imperial
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Custom Levels Lover
  • Thank you received: 86
08 Nov 2014 23:13 #93
So, after two weeks with zero progress, someone actually found the time to do some matches.... :huh:

Today we had Regislian vs Dushine. This is by far the most exciting and capricious tournament game I've seen so far. Undoubtedly it had been roller coasters of emotions for both the players. Without further ado, let's get on to the matches:

First map was Epicenter chosen by Regi, an unsurprising map from him. As expected Regi was leading right from the beginning, but at the last 30 seconds Dush managed to pull a stunning comeback that gave him the win of 126-119 over Regi.

Bowl was then picked by Dush as the second map. Being proficient in the map as he is, Dush took the lead for the entire match and won 112-88.

Regi chose Basic Agility Course as the third map in an attempt to stop Dush from winning again. This was where the drama began. Dush was leading from the start, but at the last 30 seconds, just as Dush did in Epicenter, Regi pulled an unexpected comeback and granted him the win of 123-113.

Fourth map choice went to Dush, who then chosen Sprawl. While one would think Dush would win this game easily from Regi and ends the match as a whole, Regi gave Dush the best run of his money. The lead was changed numerous times between the two and none of them managed to increase the narrow gap. At the penultimate spawn Dush had a 5-point lead, but Regi managed to eat up almost the entire last spawn and edged him a 148-147 bare win.

Scoring 2-2, both players were more nervous than ever. Randomizer settled on Skate Battle Royale for the fifth map. Dush led for the entire game. (There was one notable point with about 80 seconds left when Dush decided to deploy cheap tactic at the top bridge by camping next to the last red gem forcing Regi to get up there, but no signs of that for 10 seconds or so as Regi wanted to give up. But then the match continued somehow). Anyway, Regi managed to close the gap and lost barely with 83-89.

Final score: 3-2, Dushine wins. Both players did really well in the matches, giving literally the most dramatic and intense game in the tournament yet (imo). Applause to you guys. :whistle:

Vanquisher / Red Stealer

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/imperialcuirassier
My twitch channel: www.twitch.tv/imperialcuirassier
The following user(s) said Thank You: dushine, Regislian

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
09 Nov 2014 00:17 - 09 Nov 2014 10:07 #94
Reason i resumed the match was, I thought to myself: 'I'm not gonna let the fact that i refused to get (close to) that last red be the reason for me not winning the match. Either I win or I lose.'

So I went, and lost :P

Awesome games Dushine. And thanks for the write-up, Imp.

Now, MBOUltimate, we've been waiting for quite some time now for u to get online to be able to do your match against Higuy., this hasn't happened yet.. If you can't, for whatever reason, make it, just let us know that u resign from the tournament. Now you are just holding up the entire thing.

After discussing with Jeff (and Frostfire ofc) how to approach this, we've decided you've got 1 week, from today (saturday), to do the match, otherwise, you'll be forced to forfeit out of this tournament.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2014 10:07 by Regislian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
09 Nov 2014 18:44 #95
MBOUltimate has sent me a pm, in which he explains that, after some consideration, it would be best for him to indeed resign from the tournament.

Frosty will update the bracket, now that Higuy automatically wins against MBOUltimate.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
11 Nov 2014 06:10 #96
Shortly after MBOUltimate dropped out, eguy5947 and I played. What followed was probably three of the most intense matches I've played in a while, followed by Promontory.
N.B.: Scores are links to the test score viewer page. Let me know (in webchat, don't spam this thread) your opinions.

Match 1 of 4:
Map: Zenith
Chosen by: eguy5947
Scores: 110-91 eguy5947-HiGuy
Points Total: 1-0 eguy5947-HiGuy
After one practice round, eguy5947 picked Zenith. The match started out strongly in his favor, with eguy5947 gaining a 25-point lead in the first minute. HiGuy managed to tie the scores up over the next few minutes, but eguy5947 pulled forwards in the end to win by a strong 19-point lead.

Match 2 of 4:
Map: Par Pit
Chosen by: HiGuy
Scores: 106-102 HiGuy-eguy5947
Points Total: 1-1 eguy5947-HiGuy
After Zenith, HiGuy chose Par Pit. This map turned out to be a very tightly contested battle, with neither player ever having more than a 10-point lead. There were many quickspawns, blues, and close calls. In the end, HiGuy barely pulled ahead by 4 points to win the match.

Match 3 of 4:
Map: Vortex Effect
Chosen by: eguy5947
Scores: 105-97 HiGuy-eguy5947
Points Total: 2-1 HiGuy-eguy5947
After the close loss on Par Pit, eguy5947 decided on Vortex Effect. Unfortunately for him, this was the map that he and HiGuy had practiced before starting, and things did not go in his favor. This match was similar, although much closer than the practice. Scores were no more than 15 points apart, with HiGuy maintaining a slight lead over eguy5947. Eventually, the Mega Marbles added up and HiGuy won by 8 points.

Match 4 of 4:
Map: Promontory
Scores: 125-53 HiGuy-eguy5947
Points Total: 3-1 HiGuy-eguy5947
After winning on Vortex Effect, HiGuy pulled out his trump card -- Promontory. The results were as eguy5947 predicted before the match, saying, "I think I'm doomed." This pretiction was very correct, with HiGuy pulling out a large lead at the start and ever widening the gap as the match progressed onwards. Six Mega Marblings and five minutes later, HiGuy won by a huge 72 point margin.

Overall probably the most intense matches I've played for months. Eguy5947 and I were very equal skill-wise (except for Promontory), and all of the matches could have easily gone either way.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• dushine
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • PING STEALLLL!
  • Thank you received: 10
11 Nov 2014 10:51 #97
Good write-ups guys! Great descriptions all round! That score on Promo, omg wow GG lol.
Higuy that viewer page looks pretty good, though it could do with a bit more blending with the background and of-course removing the date of creation stuff :P

Very close matches, though the way you wrote down the scores kinda gets confusing, would be easier to say for example "110-91 - Eguy5947" but maybe it was because you made them a link?

Either way glad to see the tournament finally progressing! :) Next up we got a helluva a match, Frostfire vs Higuy, from what memory serves, let us hope Frosty removing the one that took Higuy to the losers brackets won't make this a one sided match. ;)

Legit Marbler
Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/MBdushine

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
11 Nov 2014 15:39 #98
Very good games HiGuy. It was quite a pleasure to play with you. One of the big factors was the mega marbles (ofc), and also that my arrow keys were too slow, and I was not used to playing with the mouse, which affected my precision. But also, it was late, I was kinda tired, and my heart wasn't really in it the way it was when I faced Kwill and MBK. Still, fabulous matches and I look forward to more tournament fun in the future!!
~eguy5947

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

• MBKid
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • XXXquickscoperXXX
  • Thank you received: 35
12 Nov 2014 03:53 #99
Frostfire v. HiGuy

Match 1/3
Map: Par Pit
Chosen By: HiGuy
Final Score: 157-94, Frostfire
This is one of HiGuy's best maps. In the first minute it was pretty even. Then Frost started crushing :P. There were more blues than the usual amount in this match, but I think the key to Frost's win was that he always got a high number of gems almost every spawn.

Match 2/3
Map: Marble City
Chosen by: Frostfire
Final Score: 109-86, Frostfire
HiGuy kept it closer for longer on this one but never really showed a sign of pulling ahead. Frost was getting to the spawns quicker.

Match 3/3
Map: King of the Marble
Final Score: 101-94, Frostfire
This was the closest match of the three. Frostfire was camping in the middle and HiGuy was on the outside of the map, you can tell that of course because HiGuy got 32 yellows compared to Frost's one :P.

ggs to both of you guys!

I played marble blast

• Imperial
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Custom Levels Lover
14 Nov 2014 18:01 - 14 Nov 2014 18:06 #100
Dushine vs Frostfire

Match 1
Map: Marble City
Scores: 116-105, Dushine
As different to Frost's usual approach, he chose Marble City as the first map. This proved to backfire as Dushine came up really close to Frost in the majority of the match, even bypassing him in the last minute and took a 11-point lead.

Match 2
Map: Bowl
Chosen by: Dushine
Scores: 129-110, Dushine
Unsurprisingly, Dushine chose bowl. Frostfire managed to put up a strong fight and had the upper hand for the first 3 mins or so, but then Dushine activated his beast mode and cameback with a solid lead.

Match 3
Map: Core
Scores: 91-77, Dushine
In an attempt to stop the winning streak of Dushine, Frostfire decided on Core. Unfortunately that was a big mistake. Just like the first match, Dushine competed very strongly against Frostfire, and eventually took the lead and maintained a decent score gap.

Match 4
Map: Marble It Up!
Chosen by: Dushine
Scores: 96-93, Dushine
With one win left to ace victory, Dushine pulled out his trump card: Marble It Up!. Frostfire did make a robust performance to compete against Dushine, but in the end Dushine was too much for him to take the win.

Final scores: 4-0 Dushine. This to many of us is utterly surprising. I would attribute Frostfire's painful loss to the fact that both maps that he chose were erroneous. Marble City happened to be a strong map of Dushine, and Core, although Dushine has had painful losses there, he definitely had learnt a lesson and improved significantly. With the two maps both backfired, Frostfire's chance of winning was greatly reduced. Of course, Dushine took advantage of his wrong decisions and pulled out an astonishing victory.

Too bad I didn't have to chance to spectate that last game, but anyway, very good games you two!

Vanquisher / Red Stealer

Last edit: 14 Nov 2014 18:06 by Imperial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dushine, Frostfire

• dushine
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • PING STEALLLL!
  • Thank you received: 10
14 Nov 2014 22:31 #101
Thanks again Imp! You too MBK!! Appreciate all the time you both took out of your busy schedules to do the write-ups! :)

4-0 is one of those results I am gonna be thanking the heavens for. It could have been much closer had Frostfire picked his stronger maps, I really dunno what possessed him to choose City :P. I know he definitely won't be doing that again so always great to learn something from your matches! We had close matches and I barely got out alive for almost all of them, GGS Frosty! ;)

Legit Marbler
Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/MBdushine

• Thank you received: 123
15 Nov 2014 01:19 #102
That last match must have been a close one! Wow.

So, does this officially end the tournament? Do we get achievements? Candy? Pat on the back? Either way I have checked in on this and am amazed at all the matches that took place. Really a good show of skill.

• Thank you received: 368
17 Nov 2014 13:36 #103
Someone PM me a list of contestants, finalists, and the grand victor and you'll get some fancy achievements...

~Aayrl

17 Nov 2014 14:44 #104
The first and second post might be helpful, then. ;) Not 100% sure of the grand victor myself, though.

• Imperial
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Custom Levels Lover
17 Nov 2014 18:11 - 17 Nov 2014 18:12 #105
Don't you people read the playoff brackets. :P

The tournament is NOT over yet. Two matches are still yet to be played: Dushine vs mfpwnsall, and the winner of that vs me. Whoever wins that last match is the grand victor. :)

Vanquisher / Red Stealer

Last edit: 17 Nov 2014 18:12 by Imperial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProMarbler, Frostfire, Eguy

17 Nov 2014 19:31 #106
That would explain the blanks. :P

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
21 Nov 2014 22:17 #107
Mfpwnsall has just forfeited from the tournament, because of lack of time & energy.

That means finals are next! Dushine vs Imperial!

Hype hype!!

24 Nov 2014 11:02 #108
Wow wow wow. Even I'm excited for this.

• Frostfire
  • Frostfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
02 Mar 2015 23:05 #109
Tournament is officially finished.

Thanks to all who participated. Final podium:

First Place: Imperial
Second Place: Dushine
Third Place: Mfpwnsall

Full bracket: challonge.com/MBtourneyplayoffs5grp

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
03 Mar 2015 01:04 #110
Grats to Imperial! Good to have this over with, was wondering what happened to this tournament.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Thank you received: 368
03 Mar 2015 02:29 #111
Congratulations to all! With some assistance from HiGuy, I have granted some special titles and achievements to commemorate all participants!

All Participants: Achievement and the 'Competitor' Prefix Title.

Top 10 Participants: Achievement and the 'Challenger' Prefix Title, and all subsequent achievements and titles.

Top 3 Participants: Achievement and the 'Champion' Prefix title, and all subsequent achievements and titles.

Winner: Achievement, 'Vanquisher' Prefix title, and trophy flair icon, as well as all subsequent achievements and titles.

~Aayrl

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.048 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.