file 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
More
22 Jul 2016 19:14 #91 by Three
Replied by Three on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
You have to have it before 9am EDT tomorrow.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Frostfire
  • Frostfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
More
22 Jul 2016 20:14 - 22 Jul 2016 20:30 #92 by Frostfire
Replied by Frostfire on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
Swiss Round 3: Lee Zi Xian v Lichable

Currently, with no doubts, the match of the tournament. I could practically write a novel on this battle, with so many twists and turns, and such an insane climactic finish that all who watch the video may suffer severe PTSD months afterwards (don't let that stop you watching!!), but I will keep it as short as I can to save you time, because you need those minutes to rewatch the video over and over again.

Lichie was random'd the first pick and chose Marble It Up, a map he had already won on previously in the tournament. The game was quite close for a while, but near the end Lichie began to pull away, maintaining a 10-point lead throughout the last minute. Lee made a push to come back with a last-second blue, but it wasn't enough, and Lichie won Game 1 95-89.

And the 6-point finish on Game 1 was only the beginning of the beautiful match these two would produce.

Next, however, Lee picked Zenith, which admittedly was a sit-through-it kind of game. Though Lichie led narrowly for the first minute and a half or so, Lee soon surged ahead and never looked back, increasing his lead drastically and finishing with a 118-87 win.

Lichie chose Sprawl with the score tied 1-1, even though he had lost the map in the warmup game by 8 points. It looked as though it was a wise pick - Lichie led for the first half of the game - and then Lee came back. Lee pulled into the lead, owning a couple of spawns, and suddenly Lichie was playing catchup, struggling to stick with Lee's pace.
He managed it, though, snagging a helpfully-spawning blue and a few yellows, and most of the next spawn as well. At this point there was hardly any time left on the clock and both players headed towards the last spawn knowing the match was over. Lichie had won, 138-120.

Sacred was chosen by Lee. He led most of the game, and though Lichie stayed within range, he never really threatened to blow into a lead. Lee won 107-95.

And then it was 2-2 - time for the randomizer to do its thing.

And its thing was to pick Marble it Up, which had already been played. And then (due to an error by the inept host) to pick it again. And then to pick Sacred, which had also already been played.

Finally - at long last - it settled upon Promontory, the most-chosen map by the randomizer so far this tournament (3 out of 7 randomizes!) and the game began.

What a match! Leads traded, no one in front for long, and right down to the 45-second mark it was anyone's game. Both players collected the next spawn evenly, and with 30 seconds to go, 89-86 for Lee, the final sequence began.

Lee reached the contested helicopter first and immediately activated it, but instead of flying towards the spawn, gyro'd off into no man's land, eventually landing OOB far from the spawn. Meanwhile, Lichie headed without a powerup towards the spawn, but in this case slow and steady wins the race, as Lee was still attempting not to sail off the map. (at this point the awful cameraman went nuts, trying to find the spawn and panicking).

It was an UNDERGROUND blue spawn, and Lichie grabbed every gem until there was just one red remaining. There were 15 seconds on the clock and he was up 96-91. It looked like he had it. The game was his.

And then he performed the first of two errors that would send the entire match crashing down before him.

Lichie grabbed the last red - with Lee still above ground, leaving himself stuck in the underground area as the next batch spawned. Lee raced for it, and began collecting gems as quickly as he could, desperate to grab enough points to overcome his deficit -

and the cameraman frantically swerved between Lee and Lichie - except Lichie wasn't there. He didn't come out of the hole. He was stuck in the underground. As Lee picked up the last three reds to put him in front of Lichie - 98-97, 99-97, 100-97 - Lichie appeared from the underground section, hurrying towards the spawn, but too late. However, perhaps a spark of hope ignited in Lichie for a moment, because the final spawn was right next to him - only fifteen marble-lengths away - but it was already over. He was just rolling towards the gems that would have won him the game, given five more seconds, when the clock ticked to 0 and Lee was dubbed victorious, 100-97 and 3-2.

So what happened? Lichie described his match-losing mistake as "the second time i've lost 3-2 on prom because of a bad jump boost". Though there is no footage of the exact event (thanks, cameraman), I think it is safe to assume he SJ's into the ceiling in his haste to get to the gems, and it was this, in combination with his strategic no-camping error, that cost him the game.

Fantastic game guys, definitely the game of the tourney so far and possibly even by the end of the playoffs!
Last edit: 22 Jul 2016 20:30 by Frostfire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee, Lichable, hPerks

More
22 Jul 2016 21:39 #93 by Lee
Replied by Lee on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
I have to say, that was the most intense match I have ever played!

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
23 Jul 2016 04:33 #94 by hPerks
Replied by hPerks on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
Scores for HiGuy vs. Threefolder - video is exporting, and I'll do the writeup tomorrow:

Ziggurat - HiGuy wins 67-51
Basic Agility Course - HiGuy wins 133-112
Marble It Up - Threefolder wins 96-94
Triumvirate - HiGuy wins 102-79

"it's funny how the super monkey ball game without monkeys is the one that attracts more furries" - eblu 2018

Watch my videos here! - NEW: av'is levels: the movie!
Download my levels here! - NEW: Specific Gravity
Listen to my music here! - NEW: Memory Lane
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
More
23 Jul 2016 13:02 #95 by Frostfire
Conclusion to Swiss Round 3

Awesome round everyone. Though we lost our perfect game record (curse you kwill!), everything else went smoothly, and we have the game of the tournament in Lee v Lichie. Drawing is about to happen (bit late writing this up... lol).

Thanks again everyone :) good luck next round.

More
23 Jul 2016 13:20 #96 by Lichable
Replied by Lichable on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
The game versus Tue was intense, but not as the one versus Lee!
True I should have camped near the last red, but in my hurry I didn't think of it..
Anyway GGs, I had some great time yesterday playing the tournament!

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
More
23 Jul 2016 13:36 #97 by Frostfire
The next round has been drawn! We have some VERY close matchups this time. challonge.com/MBsummer2016

(sorry mbo you got the shaft again D:]

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
23 Jul 2016 20:27 #98 by hPerks
Swiss Round 3: HiGuy vs. Threefolder

This long-awaited final match of the third round, dubbed the "Battle of the Devs", featured two competitors who had in common not only their staff positions, but also their notoriety for picking tricky, off-beat maps, especially Ring and Sacred, where they had each performed quite well in the previous rounds. We were all looking forward to some high-quality matches there, but the players, evidently not wanting to have to break their winning streaks on those maps, instead made perhaps more conventional picks. Nonetheless, there was excitement all the way through, as both players clamoured for that third 3-0 spot going into round four.

For his first pick, Threefolder selected Ziggurat - a somewhat bland and underplayed intermediate map with a very dense blue spawn in the center that rewards players who would have been camping there anyway. Xedron, who asked me to refer to him as the "loud and annoying commentator", remarked that this was his worst map, and HiGuy and Threefolder both took note of that for future reference.

HiGuy started out the game with an early lead, cementing it in the second minute with a mega marble hit that our cameraman was unfortunately unable to pick up due to a huge lagspike, but Xedron reported that he "rekt 3f so hard".

At 1:30 in, we had a bit of deja vu as we saw 3f refuse to pick up the last red gem while losing. Mind you, HiGuy was only up 11 points (34-23) with over two minutes to play - certainly not the blowout that we saw in Frosty vs. Regislian on Epicenter - but 3f was just as indignant. We saw over 30 seconds go by before both players decided to go back for the gem - during which time hPerks took a break from the camera work to correct Nobody on his shamefully inaccurate webchat spam.

Finally, the players started up again, and HiGuy retained his 10 point lead for the last couple minutes despite an impressive final blue skillshot from Threefolder, after which he basically gave up. The final score was 67-51 for HiGuy.

Threefolder was getting ready for HiGuy to pick Ring, but he decided to spice things up and choose Basic Agility Course instead. A staff remake of a singleplayer level, which of course means that it's both extremely pingy and extremely blue-heavy.

And the blues did not disappoint this time, as we saw a total of 12 blues in the first 11 spawns. They were split almost evenly, and after the dust had settled it was a dead heat, with HiGuy leading slightly in the single digits, until Threefolder started to fall behind in the yellows and reds. The lead had almost reached 20 when Threefolder was able to nab a couple more blues and get himself back in the game.

With 30 seconds left, and Threefolder within 2 points of HiGuy, it was anybody's game. But Threefolder was feeling the pressure, and we saw, in a devastating five seconds, two disastrous missed blues which were each swiftly picked up by HiGuy a fraction of a second later. Those two blues cost Threefolder the game, and after another dramatic resignation, HiGuy won 133-112.

It was now Threefolder's choice again, and he needed this game to stay in contention. We knew it would be a tough decision, but we didn't think we would have to wait almost five minutes for Threefolder to finally settle on his pick. HiGuy offered some "helpful" suggestions (including Core, Ramps Reloaded, Marble Agility Course and Eye of the Storm) but Threefolder rejected them all, instead going for Marble It Up.

The game started dead even, and stayed that way until the end, with the lead changing hands many times throughout. The gameplay itself wasn't all that exciting, until the beginning of the fourth minute when HiGuy recovered from a missed blue just in time to escape the wrath of Threefolder's mega marble. With one minute left, HiGuy's lead was in the double digits, but Threefolder had gotten tired of just giving up, and he began to stage a comeback.

Slowly but surely, Threefolder edged HiGuy out on the following spawns, and after picking up a blue with a well-timed blast at 30 seconds left, the deficit was down to 5 points. The final trailing gem was quite generously picked up by HiGuy with 15 seconds left, after which Threefolder capitalized and nabbed another blue in the center. With this second blue, Threefolder tied the game up.

It was 92-92, and it was all down to the last spawn. Both players moseyed their way there, knowing that all they needed was a majority of the gems on that spawn.

The gems were on a hill, with two slopes going up the hill at right angles to each other. One slope had one red, one slope had two. There was a yellow and a red on top of the hill, and another red on the far bottom. 7 points in total - 4 to win.

Threefolder was first to the spawn, but panicked and missed the red on top of the hill after picking up the yellow. 94-92.

HiGuy arrived shortly afterward, and picked up the lone red on the way up the slope. 94-93.

Threefolder came back for the red on top of the hill, but HiGuy went at it at full speed and stole it. 94-94.

But unfortunately, that gemsteal sent HiGuy flying away from the two gems on the slope, and Threefolder was able to pick them up just a fraction of a second earlier. Threefolder had rescued the gems, rescued the spawn, and rescued the game 96-94.

The match would continue.

For his last pick, HiGuy surprised everyone yet again and picked Triumvirate. After yet more delays due to HiGuy "forgetting" to turn off cheats, the game started out on a good note with some nice totally fair bottom blues, which were thankfully split evenly. Both players seemed to know their way around the map (I would recommend they pick it against me ;)) but it was HiGuy who managed to get the better end of the spawns during the first couple minutes.

And then, yet again, Threefolder apparently gave up - and again, down less than 20 points with two minutes left to play. More awkwardness ensued as HiGuy continued to collect gems while Threefolder camped the bottom in frustration. But after a bit, a blue spawn appeared down there with 1:30 left, which Threefolder was in prime position to sweep up. He may have regretted his decision to give up so soon (as hPerks remarked: "keep campin bottom and you'll have a chance"), so he decided to resume playing. At one point he managed to reduce HiGuy's lead to 15, but HiGuy stayed in control, winning the final game with a score of 102-79, and the match 3-1.

Although Threefolder's chances going in were not great, by his own admission, in the end it may have been frustration and lack of determination that contributed to his loss more than anything. Hopefully he'll be able to bounce back and continue to put on the kind of showing that got him to 2-0 after two rounds.

As for HiGuy, it was a well-deserved win, which brings him to an impressive 3-0 score for the tournament, sharing the lead (before tiebreaks) with only two other players. Who will manage to continue their winning streak? We'll find out in the next round - stay tuned!

"it's funny how the super monkey ball game without monkeys is the one that attracts more furries" - eblu 2018

The following user(s) said Thank You: snowbody, Three, Nockess, Xedron

• Xedron
  • Away
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
More
24 Jul 2016 21:47 #99 by Xedron
Replied by Xedron on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
Swiss Round 4: NatureFreak vs. Kwill

It was a very crucial match for both players who both remained without a single win in the Swiss Round so far, so with that there was a lot of intensity surrounding this match. Here brought to you by the most annoying commentator in the world, this is NF vs Kwill!

NF chose Basic Agility Course as his first map. It was an interesting choice, seeing that he wasn't going for his usual favorite, "Triple Decker". NF had no regrets once we got the first match started, so could he pull off the win against Kwill?

The match started off with NF grabbing almost the entire first spawn because of a mistake by Kwill, in which he went way too high to grab the blue gem at the top, resulting in NF having time to collect most of the gems. Kwill was able to get his fair share of the spawns with another blue steal. Following this play was a VERY close blue steal by NF right at 3:00 on the clock (I still debate whether it should've been NF or Kwill's..)

Following these intense first 30 seconds of the match he had a "disturbance by our original host of the match, MBCollector672; He crashed out of the game with 2:55 left, which sent everyone back to the home menu. Me and hPerks decided to start the game over again, and when NF and Kwill felt ready we played the match again.

This time however, Kwill dominated at the start of the match, with him most of the gems at the top as NF was trapped at the bottom (followed by one of the greatest struggles I have ever seen to get a yellow gem by NF..) Following this, NF found himself with a 37-17 point deficit with 2:30 left. NF started showing some sort of comeback against Kwill after that first minute, but that was cut short when Kwill grabbed a double-blue spawn and left NF losing by 30 points with 1:30 left.

NF did get another very tight (and somewhat lucky) blue gem after that, but following the first two minutes of the match NF seemed to start slowing down as Kwill began building a bigger lead with little time left. NF never gave up, but with about 30 seconds left and trailing by 40 points the result was very clear to see. The final score was 134-89 and Kwill captured an early 1-0 lead against NatureFreak.

Kwill was very quick to choose his next map, and that was Marble City. I had never seen any of them play on this map, but it was clear that both of these players had some skill on this level afterwards. Kwill was very sure of this pick, and the match started from there.

The game started with NF actually taking a promising lead, taking most of the first few spawns. However, Kwill decided to use his mega-marble powerup to his advantage and dominated the next two spawns, quickly evaporating NF's lead as Kwill began leading 18-13. NF stayed right behind Kwill just like that for the next minute or so, including a mistake by Kwill with 3:55 left, which allowed NF to grab all of the gems on the top layer. It was very even throughout the first half of the match, with no real big lead.

Slowly after the 3:00 mark however, Kwill began building a bigger lead as NF was left behind for most of the spawns. The big match decider was at the 2:25 mark, when a very odd mistake by NF in which he went the opposite way from the next gem spawn caused Kwill to grab two entire gem spawns, including the first big tower spawn (the first blue spawn in the match as well). This put Kwill leading by 34 points over NF with 2:00 left. Kwill seemed to get lucked out with the next couple spawns, grabbing another tower spawn, which pushed Kwill's already big lead to 42, with the game at 101-59 with 1:30 left. NF was able to stay even with Kwill during the rest of the match, but never was able to break the lead. The final score was 129-82, giving Kwill the 2-0 lead over NatureFreak.

At this point NatureFreak decided to play it safe, and chose his most-favored map Triple Decker. NatureFreak was known to be quite dangerous on this map, but Kwill was not ready to give up. At this point MB returned to the match after apologizing for crashing during the first map, and he spectated for the rest of the game. NF took some time to inform the group about birds that were eating their babies, and following that note, the match was underway.

It was a good start for Kwill, who lead 11-3 after taking two spawns in a row. However, NF was able to catch up to Kwill following an error in which Kwill delayed activating his super-jump, allowing NF to grab an entire blue spawn from the ceiling of the map. This left the match tied at 15 for both of the players. Kwill made another big error at 3:15 when he missed the same crucial blue gem on the ceiling twice, allowing NF to once again grab the spawn and get a small 6-point lead.

However, Kwill got back as the next spawn was in the exact same place on the ceiling, and this gave him the opportunity to grab most of the gems on the top. Following this, the game was tied 31-31. The remaining time was extremely even between the two players, with both NatureFreak and Kwill taking turns leading by the single-digits, until there was 40 seconds left and NF grabbed two blue gems as well as two spawns on the ceiling in a row, which gave him a 96-82 lead.

It stayed that way until 20 seconds left, NF fell off the map right next to a big blue spawn at the bottom floor of the map. Kwill used this opportunity and collected nearly all of the gems, and by this time he was only 2 points down with 10 seconds left. Kwill tried his best to get a lead against NF with only a few seconds left, but NF got a lucky top spawn which gave him the win as he beat Kwill in one of the closest matches of the tournament 109-104, giving NF his first win but still trailing 2-1 to Kwill.

Kwill had the chance to pick the fourth map of the match-up, and he quickly picked Gems in the Road. One of the first times this map has been chosen during this tournament, NF was admittedly out of practice on this map, replying with "Gosh..well at least I won one game." Could NF mount a comeback with this map?

NatureFreak did show some good efforts to start off the match, leading 16-9 after grabbing an entire red spawn from the slide. Kwill fought back however, getting two gem spawns following that, and just 10 seconds after NF looked to be in good shape, his lead was evaporated and Kwill lead 23-20. NF got a few more spawns following a mistake by Kwill at 3:07 on the clock. He quickly grabbed another red spawn from the slide and just soon after NF has just a one-point lead 40-39 with 2:45 left. It began to get very even between both players, with Kwill leading by only one point with 2:20 left.

And then after that point is when Kwill started to shine.

He got nearly all of the next several spawns, while NF tried to keep up with Kwill's lead. He began to increase his lead to nearly 20 at the 1:30 mark. It was around this point that NF knew that he was in trouble. He got a couple gems after this point but it was not enough to get a good fight against Kwill, who won the game afterwards 99-74 and Kwill won the game 3-1

Very good matches between these two players, as Kwill advances to 1-3 while NatureFreak remains winless with a 0-4 record. My name is Xedron, the world's most loud and annoying commentator, and stay tuned for more excitement in the next matches! :cheer:

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
25 Jul 2016 22:13 #100 by hPerks
Swiss Round 4: Lee vs. Threefolder

This match was the most contested of round four by quite a margin, and the only one without an odds-on favourite. In the beginning, the betting largely favoured Threefolder, who had just put on an impressive stand against the now 3-0 HiGuy in the previous round (whereas Lee had struggled against Lichable). But others predicted that Lee would make a stronger showing in this round - that is, if his ping pulled through. Although by now we were all aware of Threefolder's not-so-secret weapons (Ring and Sacred specifically) that Lee might have struggled on. But Threefolder also was at a disadvantage - he had not had much time to prepare for the match, but he needed to play, as this was the last opportunity before Lee's busy exam schedule kicked in. It was a match that was tough to arrange, tough to predict, and maybe a little tough to watch - but let's get right into it. (Warning: This match may contain traces of salt.)

Lee got the first pick, and chose Epicenter. A popular pick nowadays, and one that had already been the site of much excitement so far in the tournament (I think you know which game I'm talking about ;)). Lee surged to an early lead, snagging the first blue very precisely despite a brief lagspike from Jeef joining the game (!) to spectate. And from then on, the next blues followed quickly, and Lee managed to solidify his lead at the end of the second minute, when a reflexive use of the superjump from Threefolder gave him juuust too much height, and Lee stole the blue from underneath him. But Threefolder answered back with a blue steal of his own just before the halfway point, and Lee knew he would still have to work to seal the win.

Just a few short seconds later, another center blue went to Threefolder, after a disastrous miss from Lee, and the lead was shortened to 4 points - but Lee soon got his payback as Threefolder found himself on the other side of a very similar blue steal. Lee was now fully in command with a minute left to play, and not even Threefolder's super-high mega marble edge hits could save him now. With 20 seconds left, and Lee pulling away, Threefolder once again gave up, saying "this map is worse than hitler". (Say what you will about sportsmanship, but it's not the kind of complaint you would hear from Kalle29 ;))

But unlike Threefolder, Lee seemed to be aware that points differential can make a difference, and he continued to collect gems until the clock ran out. He won going away with a score of 160-99, including 11-3 on blue gems. Like the nice guy he is, he offered a friendly "gg?", to which Threefolder responded - "no".

It was Threefolder's pick now, and we were all expecting him to come back with a vengeance on one of his best maps - especially with the "0.1 sec headstart" that Lee was offering him. But Threefolder switched things up and picked Vortex Effect instead. Unfortunately, at that moment Jeef had to be kicked due to an awful pun that sent shockwaves across the world, and we had to wait for him to apologize and come back. But after that, the game was able to begin.

Threefolder got a brief good start after the first spawn appeared right next to him, but Lee quickly caught back up and surged ahead. After only a minute, Threefolder was already deeply regretting his choice of map, and he yet again took some time to vent his frustration in the server chat. It became clear that he had given up when at the beginning of the second minute, after Lee tragically fell off the center platform where a blue had just spawned, Threefolder moseyed his way over to it, picking up powerups as he went, with resignation in every jump.

But as he approached the blue, he was puzzled to find that Lee was still nowhere to be found. He sped up the ramp, and prepared to grab it for himself.

And what followed then... was without a doubt, the most embarrassing missed blue of the entire tournament. It's impossible to explain in words without seeing the video - but Threefolder managed to sum it up pretty nicely in global chat: "gffgfffaffffffflikgjloicg'klgokrsde".

After Lee managed to pick up the blue, his lead already seemed insurmountable, and it was looking like Threefolder would go down hard at home. But then, a miracle happened, as the ping gods stepped in to try and help Threefolder out. Lee, who was on one or two bars for most of the match, suddenly got by far the longest lagspike of the entire tournament. With zero bars, and his score frozen at 38 for more than half a minute, Lee could only sit helplessly as Threefolder fully erased his lead. By the time gameplay started back up again, Threefolder had a slight lead, and Lee had to pull out all the stops.

And that he did. With a few more stylish little tricks, Lee once again demonstrated his command of the map (and he even got the dang spawn abuse to work). Threefolder put up a good fight (you do play better when you actually try 3f) but Lee eked out the win with a score of 97-93. Ironically, that one missed blue ended up making the difference.

For his second pick, Lee picked Horizon. The worst of the lag was over with for him, but the same could not be said for 3f's salt. After complaining about spawning a full four seconds away from the first blue (which he got anyway), he took an early lead, collecting most of the reds in the first two spawns. But a poorly planned blue miss allowed Lee to come back, and he pulled ahead with a very slight 2-point lead at a minute in.

After the first double blue, which was split evenly between the two players, Threefolder (who was behind) decided to put Lee in charge of "cleanup". This strategy (or lack of strategy) was not unfamiliar to Lee, who used it to minimal effect in his first round match against Kalle - from which the phrase "pulling a Lee" originated. Again, Lee could have waited it out, but sensing Threefolder's saltshaker already beginning to spill, he decided to pick up the slack. And again, it turned out well for him, as the very next spawn was - believe it or not - the exact same double blue. And this time, Lee had it all to himself.

He now had a double-digit lead, that he maintained throughout the next few boring red spawns. And then, the double blue appeared once again. Lee was already prepared - having used a gyrocopter somewhat ambitiously as he collected the last red in the previous spawn. He flew through the first blue in the air, and then bounced off the wall to stick his landing in preparation for getting the second blue. But by that time, Threefolder had arrived at the scene, and his intimidating mega marble stature perhaps caused Lee to panic a little bit. He fumbled twice on his jump to the second blue, which gave Threefolder enough time to steal it and even out the spawn.

This time, Lee put Threefolder on cleanup duty, but unlike Threefolder, he was not ready to give away the next spawn if it happened to be a double. And - it was. This was the third double blue spawn in a row, and this time - Threefolder took both blues. It was tied up once again, with two and a half minutes left to play.

It was a dead heat for the next minute, as reds and yellows were shared, and powerup usage was minimal, until - you guessed it - yet another double blue. And while Lee once again had a gyrocopter, Threefolder was caught with a mega marble, which served little purpose in speeding across the map. With his gyrocopter, Lee swept up both blues in one swift motion, followed by a wall hit skillshot to the yellow. Lee now had a substantial lead, which he kept for the rest of the game, winning 118-100, and the match 3-0.

Certainly more of a blowout than anyone expected (Threefolder railed at us a bit afterward for... giving him a false sense of confidence I guess?) and a well-deserved win for Lee, who managed to sweep the series despite facing the worst lag of the tournament. Both players are now safe from elimination, and their only concern now will be seed placement. However, the same can't be said for the two competitors in our next match (coming soon), who may be fighting for their very survival. Stay tuned!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee

More
26 Jul 2016 06:27 #101 by Lee
Replied by Lee on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
3folder pls dont salt me im sorry next year ill leave you a 0.1 second headstart
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three, Nockess

More
26 Jul 2016 19:31 #102 by Regislian
Replied by Regislian on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
Swiss Rd 4: hPerks vs. MBOUltimate - 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament

First pick was Sprawl, picked by hPerks, after a warm-up was played on this same map, in which hPerks clearly was dominating. Which he did again, although it was a bit closer than in the warm-up. (1) hPerks 180 - (0) MBOUltimate 149

Next MBOUltimate chose Skate Battle Royale. A very exciting match, in which MBOUltimate took the lead early on and hPerks almost managed to comeback near the end. (1) hPerks 96 - (1) MBOUltimate 99

After some thinking hPerks decided to go for Marble City next. MBOUltimate started off quite good, he had the lead till about midway, after that hPerks managed to pull ahead. (2) hPerks 133 - (1) MBOUltimate 123

Next MBOUltimate chose Blast Club, a very exciting match, with alternating front-runners. Near the end of the match hPerks tried to super speed to a yellow gem, which he somehow missed, which made this game a tie. (2) hPerks 89 - (1) MBOUltimate 89

Next the randomizer chose Tilo, hPerks took the lead early on, but at around 2:30 MBOUltimate took over the lead and although it was very close managed to win this one. (2) hPerks 113 - (2) MBOUltimate 118

In the last match the randomizer picked Architecture. MBOUltimate took the lead early on. hPerks had pretty much already resigned to the fact he was gonna lose this one even, since he was about 20 gems behind with 1:40 left on the clock. He went ham, pretty much, and ended up winning by 21 points. (3) hPerks 135 - (2) MBOUltimate 114

Good games!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MBOUltimate

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
More
28 Jul 2016 16:22 #103 by Weather
Replied by Weather on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
HiGuy versus Frostfire

After attempts to fix collisions and fumbling over who's server is cooler, two warm-ups were played, with Frostfire winning the first (Sprawl) but losing the second (Epicenter) possibly due to webchat distractions.

The randomizer monkeys smiled upon Higoo giving him the first map pick of...
(long pause)
...Sacred. At first Frosty had a short lead, but a blue and a few more gems got HiGuy close to his score. After a minute, Frosty started pulling away, especially after he managed to grab two blues. At the halfway mark, the scores were 90 to 44. HiGuy started doing better, able to snatch two more blues and almost an entire spawn until he got "stuck" and respawned on the other side of the map. Frosty was lost searching for the gems that happened to be on the other side of the wall, allowing HiGuy to grab the rest of the gems bringing the scores to 105 to 77 with a minute left. At twenty seconds, Higoo was almost lost to a pitfall, but he quickly reacted with a blast, earning him the rest of the spawn and a compliment from the cameraman. The match ended on the far side of the map at 117 to 96. It looked like a clever map choice, and given one or two more minutes, HiGuy might have won.

Frostyflame chose Architecture as the next bunch of platforms to fling marbles across. The first set of gems on the first floor was collected mostly by Frosty who lost only one gem to Higoo. The next spawn was on the second floor that HiGuy easily got to using a tactic called "fall OOB and hope you get a good respawn". Frosty however bumped his head on the trim he went super-speeding into. He made up for the mistake with some nice moves and a blue getting him to 22 to 11 at 35 seconds in. The next bunch of gems looked to be Frosty's until he was bashed into the clouds by mega marble Higoo who also went flying. Frosty got lucky and was placed by the gems whereas HiGuy was placed on the lower floor, where he stayed until gems appeared down there as well. After they ate the points remaining, they both plummeted down a hole and respawned by the new gems on the second floor. A blue steal happened, the phone rang, and the halfway point revealed scores of 77 to 39. It looked like Frosty would increase his lead with another blue, but HiGuy barely overshot the blue and with the power of spin bounced back into it. Frosty began to improve his gameplay leaving HiGuy in his tracks until he was found clutching a sand slope beneath a gem that HiGuy quickly snatched. Frosty flies into the surrounding storm once more, HiGuy gets a blue steal, and frosty used the trim to his advantage this time, using it to reverse the direction of his gyrocopter into the gems. As the timer was going into single digits, Frosty grabbed most of the gems with style, and the millisecond the last intense note of the classical music played, the match finished at 160 to 91.

HiGuy had promised Jeff that if he lost both of the first matches, he would pick King of the Marble. Poor Xedron missed this match too when the cameraman asked Jeff to open a spot for him and he responded with a cold "no". Mega marble Higoo got the entire first cluster of gems, hesitating on the last one before blowing Frosty out of the map and nearly grabbing the second bunch as well before mega marble Frosty took the last one. It looked promising for HiGuy, but two seconds before the clock said a minute was up, Frosty grabbed a yellow that HiGuy had barely missed and took the lead. Frosty juggled HiGuy a bit with the mega marble bringing the score to 42 to 32 at the halfway mark. Frosty pulled away a little as mega marbles and super speed flumes filled the scene and Frosty won the round with a final score of 94 to 77.

tl;dr spawn steals, blue steals, mega marble kids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiGuy, Frostfire, hPerks

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
More
28 Jul 2016 22:07 - 28 Jul 2016 22:13 #104 by Weather
Tue versus El Robert

After attempts to kick ultragamer and fumbling over how to get him out of Tsuf, they finally started the round five minutes into hPerks' recording.

The randomizer monkeys once again were called upon, allowing Robert the first map choice of... uh... Blast Club. The first blue spawned not thirty seconds in, and despite both opponents flying at it, they both missed, but after Robert fell down the hole he used the super jump to grab it, bringing his lead to 18 to 8. As Robert was about to collect the last gem in a spawn, he stopped. Tue was up on the bridge, waiting for another blue gem. He soon got restless, and went super speeding at the last gem which Robert ate the moment he saw the yellow flames coming at him. His hesitation paid off when the next group of gems revealed to contain the fabled sky-hued treasure. Tue flew into the sky and was put back on the tiled platform where he went speeding up the ramp towards the blue that refracted the image of Robert doing the same on the opposite ramp. As Robert was rocketing up to the gem, Tue's moon-rock marble snatched the five points out of the air, increasing his score to 24. Robert was still doing better though, with 33 points. Shortly after the halfway mark, Tue got to a blue's reach of Robert's score, who quickly recovered. With less than a minute left, a gem cluster had four points lined up on a yellow platform for both players who were only marble-lengths apart. They both used their super speeds but Tue was faster. Half a minute to go. Tue had himself lined up for a super speed through the bowl in the center and into two red gems. As he jumped to avoid the slope, he was caught short and got nudged into a protrusion that sent him flying. Some last-second gem steals and the match was over at Robert's 94 points to 79.

Tue found his playing field pick of Ring rather risky, and both opponents had trouble navigating to the gems. It was only a minute in though, when Robert reached a score of 44 against Tue's 19. He got to most of the blues before Tue, and about halfway through reached 88 to 44. The cameraman (who was hanging out outside the circular structures) mentioned that unlike Robert he hadn't seen Tue use super jumps as shortcuts through the map, a tactic one will find useful especially on gravity-based levels. Tue stole a blue gem seconds before the end screen appeared reporting scores of 116 to 64. Robert needed only one more victory.

He decided to go with the greebled terrain of Par Pit, and right off the bat was a cool blue gem that Robert soon grabbed. Tue got the second blue gem, and Robert, the third, which happened to be in the same spot. Robert got caught in the tornado's finicky tug and quickly decided to respawn before the first minute was up and the scores were in Robert's favor at 35 to 19. His control of marble spin got him nine points before the tornado grabbed him and Tue. After Tue got out, Robert made a few mistakes costing him three points. The next set of gems was in his area but Tue collected some more points (including a blue) with a spot-on super jump and quick movements. At the halfway point, Robert still had the match in his hands with a score of 59-43. The two marbles found themselves at the bottom of a line of steps sprinkled with gems. They both raced up, but Tue was once again faster and claimed the three points. They both rebounded off walls to grab the remaining four points on the ledges around the steps, where Tue got another three points. The next bunch of gems had a blue in Tue's grasp thanks to Robert's short jump. He got stuck in the tornado again, allowing Robert to collect the remaining points. The last minute started with scores of 86 and Tue's 74. He still had this match within his reach. A blue gem allowed Tue's score to reach the top with 94 to 93, but a yellow steal by Robert a second later, and he was once again in second. Two seconds to go, a blue spawned. If Tue got this, he would tie at 104 and have another chance. Both opponents lunged at the pillar, falling short. If Tue was the only one to reach it, Robert would have won anyway as he bounced onto two more points, and the match was over with 106 to 99.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 22:13 by Weather. Reason: bold move
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tue27, Robert

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
29 Jul 2016 18:04 #105 by hPerks
Sorry for the huge delays on the writeups everyone - it's hard to come up with new stuff to say :P

Swiss Round 4: Toothy vs. Weather

This match was a battle of life and death for both players - a fight for survival as each player tried to advance in the rankings and hopefully make it into the playoffs. The predictions were heavily skewed in favour of Weather, who had narrowly clenched a win against Nature Freak in the previous round. However, Toothy was also feeling confident, having won a few practice rounds against Weather earlier that week. Unfortunately, his internet has been going through a rough patch, and he fought through one or two bars for most of the match. Would he be able to compensate? Or would he go into the last round with a 0-4 score, and have to face Nature Freak for the battle of ultimate elimination? It was a match full of excitement (and I mean it this time).

It started off on a good note when our absent-minded host, hPerks, had forgotten that Weather was at 1 point for the tournament (not 0), and so the first map pick would go to Toothy. Instead, the randomizer was used, and Weather got the first pick instead. Luckily, It turned out not to be a big deal, as both players ended up getting their two picks anyway.

For his first pick, Weather chose Triple Decker (which got a "-___-" from Toothy). The lag was plentiful, especially on Toothy's side, but he kept a steady pace with Weather for the first little while. Weather soon surged ahead though, and after a relatively uneventful last couple minutes where Toothy struggled with a couple zero-bar spikes, Weather won the first game with ease, 120-61.

Play was put on hold for the next little while as the spectators goofed off in server chat. A record-breaking streak of ^s was unfortunately broken by MBCollector, leading hPerks to remark, "dangit i can't kick". "I can", was Threefolder's response, as he swiftly kicked hPerks from the server, handing him some well-deserved karma.

Meanwhile, Toothy had been mulling over his pick, finally deciding on Marble It Up, another popular pick this tournament. Weather didn't mind the pick, commenting on the sky in the preview thumbnail which apparently looked "glowy". After wishing good luck to MBCollector (who wasn't even playing), Weather got off to a slow start. Toothy, whose ping was slightly better this game, was able to pick up the first blue and get a slight lead, but it didn't last long as he flew underneath the second blue with his gyrocopter, allowing Weather to pick it up. It was neck and neck for a while, but Weather was never able to take the lead again, as Toothy employed camping strategically and overall displayed his familiarity with the map.

A couple more blues and some mistakes from Weather brought Toothy's lead into the twenties, and with a minute left, it looked to be all over but the shouting. Still, Toothy did not celebrate quite yet, at one point refusing to collect the last red while Weather was camping a blue - instead, he waltzed over to Weather's camping spot and blasted him off, forcing his hand. It paid off, as Toothy was right next to the next spawn, which basically sealed him the win. The final score: 97-82, and 1-1 for the match.

Weather's next choice was Sprawl, where they had had a very tight warm-up game just a few minutes ago, and this game proved to be even tighter. In the first couple minutes, there were mistakes aplenty from either side, especially Weather, who allowed Toothy to reach a double digit lead at the halfway point. But once the camera started following Toothy, he began to feel the pressure, and Weather caught up fairly quickly.

After a painful blue steal at the end of the first minute, it was soon Weather whose lead was approaching double digits. But again, it didn't last long after he overshot the gems and his lead soon shrank to just 1 point. With 10 seconds left, and the score 104-103 for Weather, it was all down to the last spawn.

Toothy was first to the gems, and he flew through the first red and yellow and dropped down to the second yellow - leaving 4 red gems that Weather needed to collect to tie.

And collect them he did. Toothy fumbled a bit blasting up from the bottom yellow, and that precious few seconds he lost prevented him from securing the win. The final score was 108-108 - and still 1-1 for the match.

It was Toothy's final pick now before the randomizers, and he needed to make it count. He chose Concentric, a map he performed well on in the past against Threefolder. And it looked like he would make a similar showing here, after some "sad oobs" from Weather gave him a slight lead. But soon Weather caught up and surged ahead. Another short and relatively uneventful game, full of the typical cheap Concentric blues, ended in a 78-51 win for Weather, who tied with Toothy on reds but dominated the yellows 15-4.

Those of you following along with the video (who probably total anywhere from 0 to none) might notice that there's almost 20 minutes left, and will no doubt be expecting another long and epic series of ties and tiebreaks in what would be perhaps the closest match of the tournament. On the contrary - the next 12 minutes or so were spent exclusively trying to fix bugs in the randomizer using all manner of workarounds, joining and rejoining servers and the like. I would edit that stuff out, but the process of importing, editing, and exporting to/from iMovie would add another several hours to the whole uploading ordeal. Feel free to skip it, or sit through it if you want to see some good old-fashioned hPerks salt.

After ten minutes of trying to get the randomizer to work, hPerks had the idea of just using /random 1 36 to choose the map. The randomizer chose 13, which translated to Intermediate #1 - Basic Agility Course. More freezes followed, but after one more mass rejoining, we were finally ready to begin.

And after all that kerfuffle, both Toothy and his internet were probably exhausted, and he didn't put up much of a fight in the final game. Weather started with an early lead and never let it go. He was quicker on the draw with every superjump, and dominated both in blues and yellows (although they once again tied on reds). The final score: 134-63, and a 3-1 match win for Weather.

The last 25 seconds of the video are rated PG-13. Viewer discretion is advised.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Weather

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
More
29 Jul 2016 19:17 - 29 Jul 2016 19:18 #106 by Weather

hPerks wrote:
After wishing good luck to MBCollector (who wasn't even playing)

k then

Best tie ever.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 19:18 by Weather.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three, MBCollector672

More
29 Jul 2016 21:17 - 29 Jul 2016 21:36 #107 by Toothy
Replied by Toothy on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
The reason I got pissed at the end was a combination of the map's fault and people not knowing how to get the randomizer to work, and I was frustrated that a pseudo system (that ended up using Basic Agility Course) had to be used. The thing with the randomizer is that you need to scroll through all 36 maps, and THEN it'll work. Let alone all of the annoying lag I encountered at the last two maps. I just felt like technical problems ruined my chances in this round.

Of course, there's nothing I can do about it. A lose is a lose and a win is a win. I don't want to get all up on my internet provider just because my ping constantly ruins the game for me... I'm not sure how I could explain that to them without looking like a crazy person.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 21:36 by Toothy.

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
29 Jul 2016 21:30 #108 by hPerks
Swiss Round 4: Xedron vs. Lichable

In a match which Xedron dubbed "the battle of the golf balls", it was at times tough to distinguish the players - especially when both wore their gyrocopters upside down for some reason. Lichable was the favourite going in - he had held Lee to a fierce 3-2 match the round before, while Xedron had somewhat underperformed so far in the tournament. Howver, a few people were predicting a strong showing from Xedron; especially yours truly, who wagered a confident $400 on Xedron after having seen him at his best in a few practice matches with me. I was liking his chances, and after the first warmup match ended in a 159-138 win for Xedron, I was confident in my bet. But would Xedron be able to bring home the upset facing 3:1 odds? And would they both be able to secure the required number of wins or set win percentage to guarantee a spot in the playoffs? I guess we'll find out.

The first pick went to Xedron, who chose Horizon - a fun map, but one where many matches have been won and lost from the infamous double blue. The game started out relatively uneventfully, as blues were traded between the players evenly (including the first double blue at 2:30), but the slight lead that Xedron gained in the first half minute or so stayed with him for most of the game. Lichable had a chance to shrink the lead at the end of the fourth minute with the second double blue, but a tragic miss and a fall meant Xedron had enough time to steal one of the blues and even things out.

Although the players kept a pretty equal pace with each other after the first minute, Xedron definitely showed more of a command of the map. His superspeed usage especially was calculated and precise, while Lichie's seemed somewhat more reflexive and out of control. Xedron played equalizer effectively, and edged Lichie out on both reds and yellows (tying on blues). He won with a score of 120-98.

Lichie's pick was Marble It Up! - one of the most popular picks of the tournament (besides obviously Sprawl, SBR, Sacred and Ring). It was pretty even for the first minute until some hesitation by Xedron allowed Lichable to take an entire spawn and pull ahead. Xedron's unintentional camping paid off though, and soon it was him who had the lead as Lichie was collecting the last red.

The blues started coming in after that, and Lichie was able to take most of them in the next couple minutes and regain the lead. But then, the bluementum shifted to Xedron, who landed some sick skillshots and took the lead back once again. During that time, Nobody dropped by to spread the good word of the JOJ, and BlastedMarble struggled a bit with the passive voice, but by that time Xedron had sealed a steady double-digit lead, taking the last three blues of the match and winning 101-87.

The last map pick from our xeefy friend was Architecture, a map where he definitely seemed to know his stuff. Although Lichie was able to take the first couple blues, Xedron was overall quicker on his feet with the reds and yellows, and soom was able to snag some blues of his own. He built up a steady lead from the beginning and never let it go, winning the last game handily, 149-96, and the match 3-0.

It was big news for a few lucky people, who made a 300$ profit in the betting thread (including over $1200 for me :P). With this win, Xedron secured a spot in the playoffs, and showed that he would be a tough opponent to crack. Lichie took his unfortunate loss with good humour (something vaguely refreshing after the last couple matches that I annotated :P), but knowing that he may need a win in the next and final swiss round to make the playoffs. Good luck to him, and congrats to Xedron for a dominating performance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lichable, Xedron

• HiGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • At college, may not be around
More
30 Jul 2016 01:13 #109 by HiGuy
Replied by HiGuy on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament

Toothy wrote:
Of course, there's nothing I can do about it. A lose is a lose and a win is a win. I don't want to get all up on my internet provider just because my ping constantly ruins the game for me... I'm not sure how I could explain that to them without looking like a crazy person.

Try running an mtr test and see where the lag is coming from. Instructions for windows here , set the host to 'tsuf.marbleblast.com' or 'higuy.me' for the dedicated servers. This should show where the lag is coming from in your route to the servers.

PQ in a nutshell
function clientcmd12dothepq() {
    commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor');
}
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toothy

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
More
30 Jul 2016 12:53 #110 by Frostfire
Final round was drawn. Top 16 players make the playoffs.

im so sorry toothy and spaghetti
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nature Freak, Toothy

More
02 Aug 2016 15:36 #111 by Regislian
Sorry about the delay for these write-ups.

Swiss Rd 4 Jackrb vs Kalle29 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament:

Jackrb got the first pick and he chose Bowl. he took a small lead about a minute in to the game, but with about 2 minutes left Kalle started coming back. They were about tied when the last minute started, then Kalle took a bit of a lead and with that the win. (0) Jackrb 110 - (1) Kalle 121

Kalle picked SBR next, as expected. Another very exciting match, in which Kalle took the lead early on but with about a minute left Jackrb managed to take the lead. With 30 seconds left Jackrb made a bad mistake which cost him the win. (0) Jackrb 79 - (2) Kalle29 85

Next, Jackrb chose Tilo, expecting to have a good chance on that level. But.. Kalle went ham, not much more I can say about that. (0) Jackrb 92 - (3) Kalle29 136

Well played guys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalle29, J@ckRB

More
02 Aug 2016 15:36 #112 by Regislian
Swiss Rd 5 hPerks vs. Frostfire- 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament:

hPerks got the first pick, he picked Sprawl, on which he already had beaten Frostfire twice in the warm-up, seemed like an obvious choice. That backfired, since Frostfire took the lead from the very start, and even though hPerks got close, Frostfire managed to keep the lead and win. (0) hPerks 134 - (1) Frostfire 147

Then Frostfire picked Architecture. hPerks had been practicing that level a lot before the match, which clearly paid off. With 2 minutes hPerks was up by 20. Frostfire tried to come back but barely fell short. (1) hPerks 128 - (1) Frostfire 123

Next hPerks chose Horizon, one of his favourites. Frostfire took the lead early on, and with a shocking 12 to 0 blues managed to win. (1) hPerks 104 - (2) Frostfire 145

Frostfire then picked Vortex Effect. He took the lead early on, at 2:30 he was leading by about 30 points. Then he made a bad mistake by waiting on the other side of the level for hPerks to collect a gem spawn, only to see the next gem spawn appearing at the same spot the previous one was. This made the game about even, and hPerks managed to grab the win in the end. (2) hPerks 111 - (2) Frostfire - 107

Then it was the randomizers turn to choose the last level. It chose Ramp Matrix, a level hPerks clearly wasn't prepared for. Frostfire took the lead and kept it the entire game. (2) hPerks 84 - (3) Frostfire 103

Well played guys!

• hPerks
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • getting the joj done
More
05 Aug 2016 04:26 #113 by hPerks
Hey everyone, huge apologies for the delay - I'm really not feeling like doing three more writeups this week, but here are the scores for the three matches that I recorded and uploaded from Round 5.

HiGuy vs. Lee

Ring: HiGuy 105-82
Sacred: HiGuy 110-89
Marble Agility Course: HiGuy 104-77

Toothy vs. El_Robert

Bowl: El_Robert 110-87
Horizon: El_Robert 123-77
Spires: El_Robert 84-56

Kalle vs. Eguy

Sacred: Kalle 124-118
Skate Battle Royale: Kalle 90-78
Horizon: Eguy 126-104
Spires: Kalle 96-62

• HiGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • At college, may not be around
More
05 Aug 2016 04:27 - 05 Aug 2016 18:34 #114 by HiGuy
Replied by HiGuy on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
Swiss Round 5: Threefolder vs Freeziez

Video heads up: NFSW language and lots of trance in the background

I expected this round to be close, but not like this. As freeziez said after the round, "I was shaking the whole time." I imagine Threefolder was shaking fairly intensely during this too.

Freeziez got first pick and chose Megas, to which Threefolder responded "my best is 38." Although pretty close, Threefolder kept up a small lead through the first half of the round. The two seemed pretty easily matched, neither managing to really pull away with the points. Threefolder looked like he had the map in the bad, but then Freeziez stole two blues in a row, right out from under his nose, and it went back to being anyone's game. Some coarse words followed in voice chat, but Threefolder managed to end up on top, by just barely stealing the last red gem from Freeziez to prevent a tie. Final scores were 106 - 104.

Coarse language was spread all around, but Threefolder stuck to it and picked Sacred for his first pick of the match. He felt pretty confident about his abilities on it, and with a good first few spawns, things looked like they were going his way. Both players missed the same blue gem more than four times together, and Threefolder felt confident, up 20 points after a minute and a half. Pulling some D strats, he seemed so set on the win that Freeziez commented "gg" in chat. Threefolder's response? "I'm fine with beating him 65-46." Things looked in Threefolder favor until Freeziez pulled out a nice spawn abuse and was closer to the blue on the next spawn. With 30 seconds left the scores were tied, and it became anyone's game again. Threefolder started going crazy trying to collect the gems, and only managed to squeak out a victory, 91 - 90. Things were not looking well for Freeziez.

With some hesitation, Freeziez decides to go with Basic Agility Course for his second pick. Will this be his last level? Of course not, you can see how long this write-up is, and probably already know the result by now. One minute in, and Threefolder starts freaking out about gems not appearing on his radar as Freeziez steals blue after blue. Freeziez keeping it cool, with Threefolder desperately Super Jumping to the various gems and going out of bounds. With 1:30 left, Freeziez is up 17 points. This doesn't bode well for Threefolder, who clearly voiced it with a "Good [happy sprinkle donuts] game." Misses and gem steals all over the place, Threefolder takes a nosedive, with Freeziez winning 143 - 100.

With no idea for his second pick, Threefolder goes with Marble it Up, calling it "The only map I'm slightly [happy sprinkle donuts] decent at, that isn't Sacred." Freeziez found his skills again, as Threefolder started making lots of little mistakes that were going to cost him. Regardless of how angry he was getting, he was keeping the scores pretty close... at least for the first minute. With 3:30 to go, Freeziez was up by 10 and Threefolder started having trouble landing his jumps. The two were neck and neck for quite some time, but the pressure was really getting to Threefolder. At 1:45, Freeziez starting pulling away with multiple blue steals. After the third blue, Threefolder rage quit, leaving Freeziez some free points to bring the scores to a nasty 117 - 79.

The randomizer, cruel as always, picked the final map of Architecture. Starting off badly with a mistimed gryocopter, things did not bode well for Threefolder. Freeziez started guessing spawns well, keeping a few points in the lead. Threefolder remarked how was "already on the ramp because he's [happy sprinkle donus] magical." After a pretty terrible couple misses and another bad gyrocopter, Threefolder was losing 58-36. Freeziez pulled a partial D strat (lowercase d?), but ended up taking the last red anyway. Was it a smart move? It probably didn't matter, because he was up 79-59 after a blue steal, with 2:00 left on the clock. Even with a two blue steals, Threefolder still wasn't quite able to pull back from Freeziez's lead in time. With 20 seconds on the clock, he got torn to pieces by the ice fans. Nearly 5 seconds left on the clock and he's down 4. A blue appears in the distance. He shoots for it... ... ... ... ... and overshoots just slightly, missing it. Freeziez barely wins, 110 - 106.

Final reactions:
Threefolder: "[Happy sprinkle donuts] multiplayer, I'm never playing it again"
Freeziez: "I was shaking most of all 5 maps. Cost me Megas"

PQ in a nutshell
function clientcmd12dothepq() {
    commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor');
}
Last edit: 05 Aug 2016 18:34 by HiGuy.

More
05 Aug 2016 13:07 #115 by Nature Freak
Replied by Nature Freak on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
You have NO IDEA how much I am salivating right now for happy sprinkle donuts.
Well done everyone, especially Threefolder for powering through all five matches. That must have taken a lot of determination.

• Xedron
  • Away
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
More
06 Aug 2016 00:43 - 06 Aug 2016 00:45 #116 by Xedron
Replied by Xedron on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
Swiss Round 5: J@ckrb vs. Tue27

It was one of the most even match-ups of the entire round, and it certainly showed throughout the games. Two skilled players who both showed great potential to get some great matches. After an incredibly even warm-up match where both players took turns leading by single digits (up until the end, when Jack started to get away from Tue) this thought proved to be right.

Tue27 has gotten the first pick due to the worse record, and took barely any time to pick his first map, which was Horizon. The final scores on this map can greatly differ with the use of superspeeds and strategy, as well as the most-dreaded double blue spawn near the bottom corner of the map. The match, however, saw Jack taking a 8-4 lead taking the majority of the red gems. However, a big yellow gem spawn appeared right next to Tue's position, and used it to his advantage with a nice helicopter move, and he was quickly able to evaporate Jack's lead.

Then, after a few small red gem spawns around the map, along with a crucial blue gem steal at 3:30, J@ckrb was able to get a satisfying 11 point lead ahead of Tue. Tue was able to get back with a couple nice blue gem grabs, but stayed just around 10 points behind Jack for the rest of the match. Jack started to carry away near the end and leaving Tue behind, the final score being 111-90 and a 1-0 win for J@ckrb

Jack's first pick was Bowl. A somewhat unpopular pick in this tournament so far. The match started off with Jack getting the luckiest spawns of the entire tournament (as well as a blue spawn to start the game off... :huh: ) and gave him a huge boost in the first minute, leading by over 20 with 4:00 left. However after a while, Tue began to get his momentum back and catch up to Jack, but was never quite able to eliminate the early lead Jack had build up. The final score was 128-99 win for J@ckrb and a confident 2-0 lead.

Tue's last pick was Marble City, a map quite frequently requested in this tournament so far. Just like Bowl, Tue started with a good start grabbing the first blue spawn. After a while, Jack began dominating on yellows and reds. (Fun fact: There were 7 blue gems in the entire game) and Tue once again was never able to turn around the big deficit he faced. The final score was 139-109

Sorry for the short write-up this time, after a while they start getting a bit boring and time-consuming, I was also pretty tired today, but hopefully you can understand :cheer:

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017
Last edit: 06 Aug 2016 00:45 by Xedron.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J@ckRB, Tue27, hPerks

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
More
06 Aug 2016 13:08 #117 by Frostfire
The Swiss Rounds have ended and the playoffs seedings have been earned! Congratulations to everyone who made it through, and better luck next time to all those who didn't. Final standings of Swiss Rounds: challonge.com/MBsummer2016 .

Kwill, Lichable, Toothy have been eliminated. Thanks for participating guys :)

MBK has been disqualified for lack of participation.

Which means... playoff time!

challonge.com/MBsummer2016playoffs

That's the official bracket. Some interesting matchups indeed...

There are two important rules that will take effect in the playoffs that need to be remembered:

1. Lower (worse - higher number) seed gets first map pick. (16 gets first pick v 1, etc)
2. Games are first to 4 wins instead of first to 3. (except the final, which is first to 5)

Good luck all! The stakes are raised - if you lose, you're out! Have fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: J@ckRB, Lichable, Robert

More
06 Aug 2016 15:01 #118 by Lichable
Replied by Lichable on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
GGs guys, I had a lot of fun playing this tournament!
Silly I had to take the loss for last round, I guess I would have passed the playoff :)
Best of luck to all of you for the rest of the tournament!

More
06 Aug 2016 23:07 #119 by freeziez
Replied by freeziez on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
why is 3f moved to playoffs if he just FF's first match, why not replaced

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
More
07 Aug 2016 00:22 #120 by Kalle29
Replied by Kalle29 on topic 2016 Summer 1v1 Tournament
I agree with freeziez, let kwill take 3f's place

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

Moderators: Kalle29AayrlRegislian