• Frostfire
  • Frostfire's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
25 Dec 2016 22:52 - 07 Jan 2017 01:38 #1
2017 Singleplayer Time Trial Tournament

Hello all. This thread will function as both the rules for the tournament and the writeup/video thread.

Standings can be found at the bottom of this post.

Anyone can participate, as long as they are available at least one day for each of the 8 weeks of the tourney (if you aren't fully available and want to participate, please let me know and we can probably make a loophole).

New players and old pros welcome, and everyone in between.

To sign up, post in this thread indicating you want to sign up. Signups close January 7 at the cutoff time (see below). Then the tournament will begin directly.

TIME FRAME

The tournament will consist of 8 weeks. Each week is one round. The first week is Jan 7 – Jan 14. Second week is Jan 14 – Jan 21, and so on, all the way to Feb 25 – Mar 4 (final week). Cutoff time is 10am EST, 3pm GMT (on Saturday).

Players will be knocked out every week, so you may participate in all eight weeks or just the first, depending on how well you do.

HOW IT WORKS

Each round, every player still alive will do a section of 'Time Trials', as dubbed by yours truly. A Time Trial is a singleplayer level in co-op mode, with one key difference: only one person is running; his partner sits on the start pad and does nothing at all (except records him). VERY VERY IMPORTANT: Whoever is recording MUST NOT MOVE AROUND. If the recorder falls off, and the runner happens to fall off at the same time, the clock will reset. THIS IS BAD. DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN.

All players will do the same set of levels for their Time Trials. All times get added, and the players with the worst total times get eliminated.

You will also receive a certain number of retries per round – meaning if you finish, and don't like your time, you can have another go at the same level – but be careful, you will have a very limited number of retries, so use them wisely! Be aware - falling off and respawning on the start pad is NOT a retry - your clock keeps running, so keep going!

The eight sections are all of the MBP Official levels, and the farther into the tournament you make it, the deeper you progress into the game. Only the best players will survive all the way to the Big 5, on week 8.

The level sets are all FORCED ORDER (you must play all the levels in exact order, so use your retries strategically) and MUST BE DONE AT ONE TIME; I.e you cannot do the first part of a section, quit, and come back two days later to finish.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

All you need to do is, once per week that you are still in the competition, come onto the leaderboards. Have someone agree to record your trial. Announce to the public (while it is being recorded) that you are about to do your trial. Then begin.

Link to standings: THIS PAGE EXPLAINS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW. docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13TEk9OHB...0cc/edit?usp=sharing

Players currently signed up:

Frostfire
Xedron
Kalle
Rozi
J@ckRB
Eguy
AugustMK
Lee Zi Xian
El Robert
Yoshicraft
Tue
Regislian
CylinderKnot
Nature Freak
Lichable
RadiantVibe
Weather
Muffe
Hitgod

Q & A

Q: I lagged! Do I get a retry?
A: No, unless you want to use one of your given retries. Consider saving them for lag.

Q: I crashed! I better get a retry!
A: You DO NOT get a retry unless you have one to spend on it. Otherwise, your time on the level is a skunk.

Q: When do I skunk?
A: Skunk time is one hour. This is pretty huge, so make sure to finish every level even if you're taking ages!

Q: What is a skunk time?
A: The maximum time achievable; i.e if you take longer than an hour, you get an hour anyway. THIS IS PER LEVEL, not the whole trial.

Q: If you don't use all the retries in a section, do they carry over to the next section?
A: No, you either use them in the proper section or you don't use them at all.

Q: Can I pick the levels to use my retries on after I'm done with the whole section?
A: No, the levels and forced order. Once you've moved on from a level, you can't go back and use a retry on it. Use your retries after finishing a level, before starting the next one.

Q: I used a retry but got a worse time than my original run! This doesn't count, does it?
A: Don't worry, your best time counts always.

Q: Do I need to have thousandths on?
A: No, third decimal will not be used; times will not be rounded because of third decimal place. We will act as though thousandths do not exist.

Q: Is there anything else I need to know?
A: Yes! Check the PSA included in my second post on this thread.

If you have any questions not shown here, PLEASE ASK! I want everything to be as clear as possible, and you can help with that.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2017 01:38 by Frostfire. Reason: hitgod joined!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nockess, Xedron, Yoshicraft224, CylinderKnot
The topic has been locked.
  • Xedron
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Level Speedrunner
  • Thank you received: 294
25 Dec 2016 22:57 #2
Sign me up. Sounds fun :)

"cna you salt spalt the slevel salt of 6 year salt who ca salt the lsat" - nobody, 2017
  • Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
25 Dec 2016 23:00 #3
Sign me up.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
  • Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
25 Dec 2016 23:01 #4
Count me in. 99% sure I can make every week.
Are there any achievements in store? ;)

Good luck to everyone else.

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
  • J@ckRB
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • *some self-degrading humour*
  • Thank you received: 164
25 Dec 2016 23:06 #5
Sure, might as well do this, seems fun enough.

"funny quote" - funny person 2016 part 2 electric boogaloo
  • Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
25 Dec 2016 23:16 #6
Sign me up

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014
  • Thank you received: 3
26 Dec 2016 17:54 #7
Oh yes, I am so ready to get destroyed!

I really hope I'm here for the whole first week I'm in it...

we ball
  • Thank you received: 198
27 Dec 2016 02:53 #8
sign me up lololol

lee is awesome
  • Yoshicraft224
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • no
  • Thank you received: 51
27 Dec 2016 21:54 #9
Oh, I love suicide! I'm in :P xD

brapdoors mbg #OhBoyFreeAM!
  • Thank you received: 18
27 Dec 2016 22:02 #10
I'll give this a go, sign me up.
  • CylinderKnot
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Personal Text
  • Thank you received: 76
30 Dec 2016 20:36 #11
Sign me up! I'm all for this.

Signature
  • Thank you received: 405
30 Dec 2016 20:51 #12
Sure, I'll sign up, although I might not be able to make it all the way through. We'll see.
  • Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
31 Dec 2016 18:21 - 05 Jan 2017 23:19 #13
IMPORTANT PSA:

A few things that all tourney participants should know, that are not mentioned in the OP:

1. For your trial, you must NOT be hosting and you MUST be on THISTLE or TSUF.

2. Blast MUST BE DISABLED. Make sure to do this or your trial will be void.

EDIT: 3. Also please write down your times as you go, because I need all the times before the cutoff time on the week. You can get me the times by skyping me, having someone else skype me, or posting them here.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2017 23:19 by Frostfire. Reason: 4. ...writedownstuff ; also nukehits
The following user(s) said Thank You: CylinderKnot
  • Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
31 Dec 2016 18:51 #14
A little disappointed that blast was ruled out, but eh. It's not the end of the world.
I'm kind of scared that I'll make some huge mistakes. I've never played singleplayer under pressure.
The only people who have joines so far that really scare me are Frosty, Kalle, and Regi. But who knows? Someone might pull a Rozi (lol) and surprise everyone!

Call me Chris!

• CylinderKnot
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Personal Text
  • Thank you received: 76
01 Jan 2017 00:19 - 01 Jan 2017 21:39 #15
(To Frozi since the quoting didn't work, or I did something wrong)

Don't be too scared. Many advanced techniques may be very hard to pull off due to ping (such as TL(question mark)), and those can take many tries to complete. To add insult to injury for advanced tech, the pressure is high, and the timer keeps going even if you fail. Sometimes, going through the level the intended way may be the best way!

(I'm not saying that you lack skill in any way if you thought that's what I meant.)

Signature
Last edit: 01 Jan 2017 21:39 by CylinderKnot. Reason: adding information
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
01 Jan 2017 18:59 #16
Fun fact: traplaunches aren't based on ping in any way. Moving platforms update on your local machine, so the physics are the same as in single player. Not certain how you would deal with levels that don't have triggers to make the platforms come back though (eg Despair). Frosty should probably just exclude those maps.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire, Xedron, CylinderKnot
  • Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
01 Jan 2017 21:01 - 01 Jan 2017 21:37 #17
Wow, big save higuy.. not sure how i overlooked that lol

PSA 2:

On a select few levels (Platform Race, PR2, Strategy Climb, Despair, Morph, Stamina, Trig, TTMR) it can be made IMPOSSIBLE to finish. If this happens, the recorder can partial the game and the runner will restart from the startpad. At the end of the entire trial, the recorder MUST CHECK the recording and see at what time the runner went OOB (and each time if they went out more than once). Round these times to the nearest second and add them to the finish time on the run they completed. Effectively it will be as though the platform reset and nothing else changed.

SUM UP: After trial is over, recorder checks time player went OOB, adds to finish time (on levels listed above, if it was made impossible to finish ONLY).
Last edit: 01 Jan 2017 21:37 by Frostfire. Reason: added trig
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
02 Jan 2017 01:49 #18
Sounds like a lot of work for the recorder. Why not just swap out those levels for others? Would make it much easier and simpler (and less prone to mis-recording).

Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
  • Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
02 Jan 2017 03:22 #19
It's no biggie, most recorders will be able to upload their videos before the cutoff time anyway, so I will be the one doing the time check. And it is only 8 levels; not all of which people will screw up on (most likely). Furthermore, recorders (or players) will probably be writing down their times anyway, so all they have to do is look at a piece of paper and tell me what happened. Thanks though, lol - and against your suggestion, I'd like to run through all of MBP properly. I considered just removing them, or changing the skunk time so falling once skunks you without too much punishment, but I think the best way to go about it is to make it as close to SP as possible, at least for the first tournament of this kind.
  • Thank you received: 11
02 Jan 2017 21:30 #20
Always wanted to do a SinglePlayer Tournament, seems like it's gonna be fun!
  • Thank you received: 64
03 Jan 2017 04:50 #21
Cool I'll try to participate every week. sign me up bb
  • Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
03 Jan 2017 15:10 #22
  • Thank you received: 146
03 Jan 2017 21:51 - 03 Jan 2017 21:55 #23
I'm there anyway but Frosty wants me to post here :) So... Sign me up ;)
Warning: Spoiler!

:>
Last edit: 03 Jan 2017 21:55 by Robert. Reason: Yes
  • Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
04 Jan 2017 01:39 #24

El_Robert wrote:

Warning: Spoiler!

Same thing happened to me when trying to sign up from my mom's phone. I think that when you tap an action on the phone, it does the action below it. Mucho annoying :/

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014
  • Thank you received: 4
04 Jan 2017 19:00 #25
I will get demolished but sounds awesome, sign me up!

⌛ ⌛ TYYME TRAVELL
  • Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
05 Jan 2017 19:29 #26
I don't totally understand how elimination works. I just need clarifications on whether it's the first way I have listen below or the second.

The first way is just who you go up against. Let's say I go against Regislian for the first round (so we're playing the beginner race). The result is that Regislian gets a better total time than I do (e.g he gets 2:50.xxx and I get 3:00.xxx, so he has the lower time). Does that mean I'm out of the tournament?

The second way is kind of like who makes the playoffs for the multiplayer tournaments. Let's say there's 20 people participating, and the people with the 10 best times go to the next round and the people with the 10 lowest times get kicked out. I play Regislian again (also for the beginner race), and he gets the highest time out of everyone (let's use 2:50.xxx again for the sake of the example). I still get a slower times than he does (using 3:00.xxx again), but my time is the 4th best out of everyone. Do I still go to the next round because I had a time in the 10 highest times, even if I lost my match to Regislian?

Call me Chris!

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
05 Jan 2017 22:39 - 06 Jan 2017 03:09 #27
You don't 'go against' anyone, everyone just goes alone. You just need one person to record you. There are no 1v1s - it's just a big group of people gunning for the best time. The players with the worst times will be out. # of players per week to be confirmed once the tourney starts and we have the number of players participating confirmed.

IMPORTANT TO ALL

Check this link, and MAKE SURE to use thistle or tsuf, not a neutral server. Don't host it, let the recorder host.

At the link, see CUS and MPL rules: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13TEk9OHB...0cc/edit?usp=sharing

And don't forget to turn blast off! Happy running.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2017 03:09 by Frostfire. Reason: important announcements
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee, J@ckRB, Nockess, Muffeyo
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
06 Jan 2017 05:26 #28
Just quickly letting people know that the following missions have had nukeless versions uploaded to the dedicated servers. You should be able to find them under the "Custom" tab:
  • Catwalks
  • Despair
  • Dizzying Heights
  • Don't Jump!
  • Ground Zero
  • Helicopter Monster Course
  • Platform Race
  • The Ultimate Friction Challenge
  • Thief
  • Treacherous Path

Code:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Regislian, Frostfire
  • Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
07 Jan 2017 14:55 - 07 Jan 2017 14:58 #29
The tourney has officially begun! You can begin your week 1 runs at any time. Signups are also closed (doh). Pretty much everything you need to know is on this page: STANDINGS . That link includes levels with special requirements, the # of players eliminated per week, the list of players (19 in all!) and will soon hold many times from everyone's runs. However if you're too lazy to click the link, see my post above, higuy's post above, and the number of players eliminated per week is as follows:

Weeks 1 & 2: Three out
Weeks 3-8: Two out

Leaving us with just one champion.
For your runs, don't forget to disable blast! And please write down your times and report to me ASAP. If you have any other clarification questions, please ask me (or someone else who can ask me). Void runs are no fun for anyone.

Good luck to all, and have fun!
Last edit: 07 Jan 2017 14:58 by Frostfire. Reason: # of players
  • Thank you received: 4
07 Jan 2017 23:13 #30
Good luck everyone!
One addition to the results page, should have an asterisk * or some marker for the levels that players used their 5 retries on.

⌛ ⌛ TYYME TRAVELL
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.190 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.