question-circle Were the Marble Blast Ultra stages recreated in the Marble Blast Gold engine?

• writer
  • writer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
21 Mar 2019 23:12 #1
So it seems since the majority of models are directly from Marble Blast Gold. Are the physics properties directly from Gold, reverse-engineered from Ultra or somehow ported? Was it possible to rebuilt the levels or were some adjustments necessary due to the engine or differences in physics?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 262
22 Mar 2019 00:23 #2
MBG and MBU use the same file formats for levels. At worst, MBU files in a newer version of the level geometry format would need to be tweaked into an older version for MBG, but I don't know if that's the case. Otherwise, I believe it's as easy as copy-pasting.
As far as I know, PQ has the same physics engine as MBG, considering PQ is a modified version of MBG. The physics engine lies in the application file, making it very hard to reverse-engineer. Perhaps the Platinum Team managed to hack in a few tweaks, but I'd think those would not affect existing features of the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CylinderKnot

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
22 Mar 2019 00:37 #3
Weather is correct, PQ is just a heavily modified version of MBG with minimal if any changes to the physics code.
To add to this, Alex Swanson (level designer for MBG/MBU/Marble It Up!) gave us the files for MBU's levels - they weren't taken/reverse engineered from MBU or the MBU PC port. All MBU levels appear in PQ exactly how they did in MBU, differences in texturing/shading aside.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder
The following user(s) said Thank You: CylinderKnot

• writer
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
22 Mar 2019 16:07 - 22 Mar 2019 16:08 #4
Great to hear that to you got the MBU level files from the level designer.

Sorry, but I don't know how the Ultra physics differ from Gold, if were modified at all? Being a Xbox 360 exclusive and having been delisted in 2011, the game is fairly difficult to access.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 16:08 by writer.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
22 Mar 2019 16:40 - 22 Mar 2019 16:40 #5
I compared the accessible physics settings in the two games (with MBU being a PC port) and found that they are the same. According to settings in MBU, the MBU marble is 1.5 times larger.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 16:40 by Weather.

• writer
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
22 Mar 2019 16:51 #6

Weather wrote: I compared the accessible physics settings in the two games (with MBU being a PC port)

You mean this unofficial port ?

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
22 Mar 2019 17:04 #7

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.716 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.