question-circle Marble and sky customization

• writer
  • writer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
More
21 Mar 2019 23:32 #1 by writer
Marble and sky customization was created by writer
Is there an option to change the marble in PlatinumQuest? Also selecting the skybox directly in the game would be welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
More
22 Mar 2019 00:35 #2 by Weather
Replied by Weather on topic Marble and sky customization
A different marble can be chosen in the level select screen; click the "menu" button.
Custom marbles may be added in the game's directory platinum/data/custom_marbles. There is a text file there with instructions, but it doesn't mention that each dimension of a marble texture should be a power of two and that the more transparent the image is, the less reflective it will be.

If you want, you can modify skybox textures under platinum/data/skies.

• writer
  • writer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
More
24 Mar 2019 10:33 - 24 Mar 2019 10:33 #3 by writer
Replied by writer on topic Marble and sky customization

Weather wrote: If you want, you can modify skybox textures under platinum/data/skies.

Is there an easier way than replacing these files (for MB Gold, I assume that the filenames must match)?
Code:
enviro_map.jpg sky_BK.jpg sky_day.dml sky_DN.jpg sky_FR.jpg sky_LF.jpg sky_RT.jpg sky_UP.jpg

I checked the highest rated skies packs offered on the site and in particular I can't easily see which image I should use for "enviro_map.jpg":

Last edit: 24 Mar 2019 10:33 by writer.

• Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
More
24 Mar 2019 12:12 #4 by Weather
Replied by Weather on topic Marble and sky customization
I suppose it would be possible to write a small script for offline mode (that can be pasted into the console) that sets the skybox to something else every time a level loads. A PQ developer is probably best to help with that.

The filenames need to match, otherwise the game (any of them) won't find the filenames the levels say to look for. Each level points to a file path for a DML file, which is just a text file with a list of the image names (and a blank last line, for some reason).

enviro_map.jpg is for the engine's old reflections. Often a custom sky uses the name "7" and a non-panoramic shot for that, or just uses MBG's cartoony one.

If there are not seven images in a skybox, it won't work. If the seventh is missing, some other image could be put there, but it would need to have a name that matches the last one in the DML file.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.779 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.