file 4. My Problems with Marble Blast

• NF
  • NF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 405
29 Jan 2019 02:31 #1
I've been playing this game for nearly 10 years now. However, sometimes it wears on me. Both being in the community and actually playing the game can sometimes be more negative than positive, and I'll explain that in greater detail.

As many of you probably know, I, like so many others, played the game for many years before I made an account online—five years in my case, and six before I actively joined the community. At the time (February 2015), it seemed like a warm and welcoming place. People were open to talk for the most part, and although they no doubt noticed that I had a major lack of maturity, they still made me feel accepted into their virtual home. As time went on however, particularly after the creation of Nobody's Discord server in May 2016, being in the community began to be more stressful than enjoyable for me. Many of you will say, justifiably so, that I have "no sense of fun" due to my complete lack of interest in the types of humor that go on here, and that stems from simply always being the type of person to think very logically and not understand any point in saying anything that you wouldn't normally say in a real life conversation. Naturally, I assumed, from an overly idealistic standpoint of course, people would act online just as they normally do, staying true to their character. I naïvely didn't see any reason not to follow this way of thinking, not realizing that some people join online communities to escape bad things that may be happening in their lives, or else just to meet new people and experiment with acting differently themselves, to possibly develop their personality in preparation for later life. (Of course, some people on the internet are also just trolls, but that doesn't apply to many.)

I'm probably overthinking this a great deal. But those are the types of thoughts that come to mind when thinking back and trying to pinpoint the reason (or reasons) why it has steadily been growing less and less fulfilling to be here. Now that's not me saying that I'm leaving, but remember that if you think someone is irritable or annoying or even just outright mean, there is probably more to their story than you considered, and you may want to take that into account.

Some of you may remember when I left the community Discord server in June of 2018. I didn't really give an explanation for this, unless people asked in DMs, so I owe it to you to provide a reason for taking nearly six months away from it. In addition to what I said above, about people often being insensitive towards or intolerant of one another, and what felt like very few real conversations and little of substance to be gleaned from being there, I also wanted to focus on my real life. My sister had just gotten back from Scotland at that point, and she was in a pretty deep depression, so I wanted to support her as best I could through that. In addition, I had barely two more months left before my first semester of college, and the Discord server was demanding a lot of my social energy (which is always limited). I decided that the best course of action would be to leave the server so that I could dedicate that energy to the time left with my friends and to trying to make new ones at college.

I had misgivings about returning to the server, even for a little while. The only reason I did eventually join again, in the beginning of January, was because I was so ridiculously bored, being on winter break. Although I don't think it's as—to be blunt—unenjoyable as it was before, now that I'm back at school I don't see that much of a point in being there at all. Once again I want to dedicate most of my time that's not spent in class or with homework to trying to be more outgoing socially.

And not playing Marble Blast. That brings me to my other point: Marble Blast itself can be annoying at times. At the very least, it doesn't help me with being more social. At its worst, it can make me feel quite angry at myself for spending more time than I should on my computer (mainly playing Marble Blast) rather than talking to or playing games with people. But that's not the only reason it can irritate me sometimes. I've always felt a lot of pressure from being in the community that I should play the game a certain way—be it playing more multiplayer, playing longer levels, MBP/PQ/customs, RTAs, or building levels. This pressure takes away enjoyment of the game for me, because I want to be able to play this game for fun, not for fulfilling someone else's idea of how an idealistic player should play the game. I don't want there to be a lot of negativity associated with Marble Blast in my head, which is why maybe being free from the voice in the back of my head telling me to do as other people say (for I am naturally a very submissive person) would keep that negativity at bay.

Finally, just a quick side note: I'm always very embarrassed whenever I tell people in real life—or even over text—that I play this game, because it seems like such a brain-numbing and childish thing to do, and people needn't think that all I do is roll a marble around all day. That won't contribute much to social success in college, so I try not to mention it to people. But it would also help if I didn't play it nearly as much as I do now.

That's it for today, but maybe I'll make another topic this week about college if anyone is curious. I hope this wasn't too negative, but it's a weight off my chest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Regislian, Weather, CylinderKnot, c0wmanglr, Whitepoplar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nathan125
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
29 Jan 2019 16:18 #2
I can agree with you on that mate. I've been playing the game for nearly 15 years and it's been a fun experience to play none the less, however when some people tell me to play the game a certain way, then I start to get irritated. Speedrunning is fine, don't get me wrong, but when people tell me that I have to be more faster or I have to not fall off the stage while I record, then it makes me feel like I'm shit at the game, which I don't like that feeling.

I just want to have fun with the game and play it in a way that doesn't have to stress me out by getting gold, platinum, or ultimate time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 255
30 Jan 2019 21:30 - 30 Jan 2019 21:31 #3

Nature Freak wrote: I've always felt a lot of pressure from being in the community that I should play the game a certain way—be it playing more multiplayer, playing longer levels, MBP/PQ/customs, RTAs, or building levels. This pressure takes away enjoyment of the game for me, because I want to be able to play this game for fun, not for fulfilling someone else's idea of how an idealistic player should play the game.

This is something I've noticed as well in the community. You know how I feel about it, just keep on playing the game the way you like it. I do realize that that's harder than it sounds though.

Nature Freak wrote: At the very least, it doesn't help me with being more social. At its worst, it can make me feel quite angry at myself for spending more time than I should on my computer (mainly playing Marble Blast) rather than talking to or playing games with people.

Every person needs time for themselves. That's not something you should resent yourself for. Socializing costs energy for you, right? If playing Marble Blast is your way of replenishing that energy, it would be a bad thing to stop playing.

Not saying that you should play as much as possible, but there's nothing wrong with taking time for yourself once in a while.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2019 21:31 by Regislian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF, CylinderKnot

• NF
  • NF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 405
02 Feb 2019 18:11 - 02 Feb 2019 18:13 #4
You're right. Maybe the issue is that I live with someone else, and even if he's not here I never really know when he's going to return, and I feel slightly self-conscious or guilty playing Marble Blast when he's in the room. Not sure if that's exactly why I feel badly about playing it, but it could contribute to it.

And regarding your other point, I'm hoping that just not paying attention to the community as much will help me not worry about what they think I should do. I think that was my logic as to why I left the server in the first place.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2019 18:13 by NF.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
09 Mar 2019 20:16 #5
I haven't posted in forever. But after seeing this, I figured I should.

I stepped down in September 2018 for some similar reasons that Nature Freak mentioned. When the community split in 2016 with the Noby server, I felt that the community was going downhill and it wasn't the same as when I got into staff in 2012. It got to stressful for me, and because of that I slowly stopped caring after caring too much. Lots of changes were going on in the personal life, and with a full time job starting in the beginning of 2018, I had less and less time to dedicate to my favorite childhood game.

The game is not the same anymore. We've grown up. Everyone that's been here as long as I have (or even before) over the last decade has grown up. The community is getting smaller (at least in my eyes. HiGuy will tell me otherwise) and well...MIU is a thing now. So there's that.

Part of me doesn't want to be done with marbles yet, but it's a long road ahead if I want to accomplish anything else with marble physics platformer games. We'll see.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.932 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.