New Spam Board rule: NO USELESS SPAM! THIS INCLUDES POSTS THAT JUST CONSIST OF "AKJFWJF;KLDSNFLKDSJFLK" OR A LIST OF SMILEYS! The Spam Board is meant to be the place for threads that are just playful, not for plain stupid, immature posts!

No explicit images.

No flame wars.

lock The Marvelous Naked Mole-Rat

• NF
  • NF's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 406
06 Jan 2016 00:43 - 06 Jan 2016 00:43 #1

When you look at this photo, what do you see? Probably something either quite cute or extremely repulsive. It's called the naked mole-rat, and I have always had a special place for it in my heart. Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I at least find it fascinating.

The naked mole-rat lives in Africa, specifically in Ethiopia, Somalia, and Kenya. Very obviously, it has no hair, except for its whiskers, which serve the same purpose as a cat's whiskers, that is to feel its way along. Unlike a cat, the naked mole-rat is almost completely blind, because it lives its whole life down in dark tunnels and has lost the need for vision.

If two naked mole-rats collide in a tunnel, because the tunnels aren't wide enough for them to pass each other, the higher ranking naked mole-rat waddles along the tunnel on top of the lower-ranking one. Apparently they don't mind it too much, because they are naked, after all.

The naked mole-rats work together to excavate tunnels. Interestingly, their lips close behind their teeth, which is part of why they are so ugly. However, this is very advantageous, as they spend most of their lives digging out the tunnels. They can dig with their teeth without dirt getting in their mouths if they close their mouths tightly.

Naked mole-rats are highly social creatures, as might be expected of a mammal that is naked and blind. They live in organized colonies rather like bees do.

One more astounding fact is that naked mole-rats cannot get cancer. It produces a sugar of very high concentration which stops all of its other cells from reproducing uncontrollably and forming tumors.

For more information and another heartwarming picture, click here.
Last edit: 06 Jan 2016 00:43 by NF.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire
The topic has been locked.
  • QwertyQwertz
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Thank you received: 18
06 Jan 2016 00:44 #2
This is just amazing. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF
  • Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
06 Jan 2016 00:51 #3
>not even mentioning Rufus

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three
  • NF
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
06 Jan 2016 00:58 - 06 Jan 2016 01:00 #4
What is Rufus? Or do I not want to know?
Last edit: 06 Jan 2016 01:00 by NF. Reason: Reworded the post.
  • Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
06 Jan 2016 01:27 #5
naked mole rats are great but wombats got 'em beat

• Thank you received: 368
06 Jan 2016 01:38 #6
Why.

~Aayrl
  • Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
06 Jan 2016 01:41 #7
@nf a cartoon rat en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kim_Possible_characters#Rufus

@frost pretty much everything has got 'em

@aayrl, you used a full stop after a question

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽
  • NF
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
06 Jan 2016 01:48 #8
Aayrl, why what? Why did I write about naked mole-rats and put it on these forums? Because I thought that it would be informative and amusing and I wanted to see what types of reactions I would get.
  • Thank you received: 16
06 Jan 2016 01:58 #9
psst.

as another nature enthusiast, I'm also enjoying peoples reactions :)

i have a flickr
  • NF
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
06 Jan 2016 02:04 - 06 Jan 2016 02:04 #10
ATTENBOROUGH! I love him! He is outstanding! I've actually seen that before! The sengi is so cute!
Last edit: 06 Jan 2016 02:04 by NF.
  • Thank you received: 16
06 Jan 2016 03:17 - 06 Jan 2016 03:21 #11
Have you seen his new(ish) rise of vertabrates movie? i'm pretty sure it's instant play on netflix, and if you haven't watched them yet, both the life of mammals and the life of birds are some of my favorites,

i have a flickr
Last edit: 06 Jan 2016 03:21 by elnathan.
  • IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
06 Jan 2016 08:04 #12
Here's a reaction.

Locked.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.996 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.