file Marble Blast Powered Up [REALLY^4 RELEASED]

• Thank you received: 15
04 Mar 2015 16:00 - 04 Mar 2015 16:00 #121
I may just have to temporarily end my self-imposed MB playing hiatus just for this! This mod looks pretty cool, Whirligig, and I can't wait to give it a try. :)

IsraeliRD wrote: Sounds like PQ

Fixed that for you, Matan ;)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 16:00 by Andrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• whirligig
  • whirligig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
06 Mar 2015 05:42 #122
*ahem* ...

... *breath* ...

YEAH GUYS MBPU 1.5 IS OUT CHECK THE FIRST POST OF THE TOPIC TO GET IT HAVE FUN LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WOO ISN'T THIS EXCITING WHERE IS THE FREAKING TYLENOL *passes out*

• Thank you received: 123
06 Mar 2015 10:57 - 06 Mar 2015 11:36 #123
I failed to watch the stream, but hype is hype! Downloading now, I'll play after DSL does its thing. :P

EDIT: AAAAAAAAnd it's crashing. Sort of. Seems that the moment the helper thing executes the actual game, the game silently segfaults or something (no dialog, only notice in system log), and so the game is stuck in some kind of startup loop. If I open the game's executable directly, all is good.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2015 11:36 by ProMarbler. Reason: PQ

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
06 Mar 2015 13:21 #124

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

Attachments:

06 Mar 2015 15:15 #125
Random PQs on a stick. Segfaults, free of charge!
Attachments:

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
06 Mar 2015 18:18 #126
OMG SO DANG EXCITED BUT............................
I tried to open it, then it took a super long time, then it didn't open. When I tried to relaunch it from the MBPU file, it started opening for an instant then didn't open at all. Then, when I tried to relaunch it from the applications file, it said: The application "MBPU 1.5 could not be opened. -1712

Help! I use mac OS X 10.9.5.

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
06 Mar 2015 19:40 - 06 Mar 2015 20:52 #127
Okay, deep breaths here.

1) If Rotational Limbo is having issues, that's probably because it was a glitchy level to start with. If you can never get it to work, just skip the level using the skip system.
2) If the OS X launcher is giving you trouble, that's HiGuy's problem, not mine. Bug him about it.

[strike]Eguy, open Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor and see if there's another copy of MBPU still running. This might be part of the issue.[/strike]

EDIT: Apparently HiGuy and Eguy have already talked about this.

If you're on Mac OS X and having problems running the game, re-download and install MBPU -- the version at the download link has been updated to fix the bug. The new version also shouldn't give anyone trouble with the Library directory.

As for Pro Marbler, the Linux version may be a bit glitchy still -- do you have Skype or similar? I'd need to communicate closely with you to try to fix this.

EDIT 2: The Linux build has been updated and should work *slightly* better -- no guarantees.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2015 20:52 by whirligig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eguy

07 Mar 2015 04:50 #128
Clarifying to say I was using the Mac build, not the linux one.

• MatthieuParizeau
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 8
07 Mar 2015 05:29 #129
Very Fun, I especially liked the skatepark level (Marblepark?)

Anyway, I played without the launcher because it caused there to be no in-game sound. The music worked but no other sounds would play. No Menu Sounds nor, in-game.

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64

My computer is a Samsung NP350V5C-S01CA laptop and the specs can be found by googling.

~ Matt

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
07 Mar 2015 22:22 #130
I don't think anyone else has any problems with the sound. It's the same sound as marble blast gold.....

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derpky

07 Mar 2015 23:56 #131
It could be that you just played MarbleBlast for too long. The MarbleBlast engine has an unusual limitation where playing more than two dozen or so levels causes the sound system to slowly stop working. In that case, you just need to close and reload the game.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
08 Mar 2015 12:31 #132
How do you skip levels?

08 Mar 2015 15:53 - 08 Mar 2015 16:06 #133
You could, perhaps, edit the prefs.cs file manually if you must pass a level (because of an issue) and need to get to the next one. All you should have to do is to increment the qualified levels in that category.

EDIT: Back in the Library, I looked and found that MBPU created some screenshots in the marble/data/missions/sandbox/ folder, which looked like they were taken WHILE I was playing? Any way to explain? In the application bundle, those screenshots (and many others) already exist without pictures of the marble.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2015 16:06 by ProMarbler. Reason: woah woah woah

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
08 Mar 2015 23:08 - 08 Mar 2015 23:09 #134

Frostfire wrote: How do you skip levels?

Code:
$testcheats=1;

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2015 23:09 by Jeff.

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • MB Graphic/Interior Designer
  • Thank you received: 5
09 Mar 2015 18:58 #135
Earning points from finishing levels and to buy extra things with it is an interesting concept. I'll have to check more of this out when I get home.

Also what directory does Powered Up use? I'd hate for it to interfere with my MBG data.

09 Mar 2015 21:11 #136
If you downloaded the very first MBPU release version, then the Library. Any version since like March 7th will not have that, it will use the application bundle to store its data, similar to MBP 1.50. You should have zero worry, however, as MBPU also fails to even invoke itself in the old build. :P

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
09 Mar 2015 21:43 #137
Well I downloaded version 1.5, which I assume was the most recent version. So I guess all the data is inside the application, which I appreciate.

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
09 Mar 2015 22:06 #138
Okay, everyone! A few things:
  • To skip a level, you should see a "Buy" text on the first non-qualified level. Due to a known bug, you need to click in the bottom right-hand corner of the level picture to activate this.
  • There is a known exploit that allows you to skip levels without buying them or setting $testcheats. However, nobody likes a cheater.
  • The Linux build was mistakenly compiled for 64-bit only; however, reports indicate that the Windows build, which is bundled in the Linux download, runs fine under WINE.
  • There is apparently a shortcut for Buttons and Gates caused by a slightly misplaced bounds trigger; finding cheap ways to shortcut levels is strongly encouraged.
  • It has been reported that the effects of the Jump Dreams challenge persist in other levels for some users.

• Frostfire
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Multiplayer Mastery
  • Thank you received: 447
09 Mar 2015 22:41 #139
Simulacrum is not working for me. I used marbleblastpoweredup.exe to run the game.

• Thank you received: 96
09 Mar 2015 22:55 #140
After playing around with this mod a fair bit I must say it is pretty freaking awesome :D

A Suggestion I do have however for you Whirl is perhaps a short guide on level building, and how to implement some of these new features (such as dynamic fields and what they do etc.)

I also tried screwing around with Simulacrum a bit with the LE but the map ended up doing some weird things - I also cant seem to implement certain items in blank custom levels, such as the Sim. Boxes and Propellors, is it possible to enable that?

Otherwise I find this thing awesome, and I know I've said this a couple times on webchat before but I'd love to see these new features integrated into MBP, to enable more tools for level building, and perhaps multiplayer ;)

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
09 Mar 2015 23:20 - 09 Mar 2015 23:21 #141

Frostfire wrote: Simulacrum is not working for me. I used marbleblastpoweredup.exe to run the game.

Whirligig did you compile that exe as 64bit or for vista+ toolset? cuz that won't work for frosty.

Last edit: 09 Mar 2015 23:21 by Jeff.

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
10 Mar 2015 01:04 #142
Well I'm in big trouble. While I was playing Angular Limbo the game crashed. It seemed to be running fine afterwords still, but then something happened to my MBG, causing it to not open anymore. I have no idea what just happened.

Mac OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
10 Mar 2015 01:07 #143
Did you click reopen, or does the game itself not launch when you double-click it? I've had issues in the past with MBP not opening if you press "reopen" after a crash.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• ChaosUnown
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
10 Mar 2015 01:10 - 10 Mar 2015 03:16 #144
I actually did hit Reopen by accident after it crashed. Now MBG just refuses to open, even if I go and double click it myself afterwords.

Well in the mean time I'll give some feedback on some select sandbox levels.

Skilling’s Curse - Surprisingly atmospheric. Would love to see more levels like this.
Marble Corps - This was very cool when I first tried it. Amazing concept for a marble game, but overall fairly simple.
Toroidal Limbo - This blew my mind out of the park. I don’t know how you did this, but this was mind-boggling and amazing. Outstanding!
Burning Crater - The airplane mechanic was unreal, but I did enjoy this. Very cool stuff. Nicely done.
MBCT - A cool idea in theory, but not executed very well. After a while the challenges just got too hard and unenjoyable, up to the point I just wanted the time to run out. If it weren't for the fact that you could complete the level without finishing all the challenges this would have been the only level with a failing grade.
Super Marble Galaxy - Unbelievable to play. It was a tad annoying to get to the finish, but it was a lot of fun to just orbit the planet like that.
A different kind of watch - This was a really cool concept. Another feature I’d love to see used in more levels. And the music stopping while using it really made it feel more immersive.
Marble Chambers - A Mindbogglingly awesome level with tricky puzzles and fitting graphic interiors. I love this level a lot.
Musical Code - Couldn't really understand this one too much, and gave up after a minute of no progress, I'm afraid.
Slendernado - I appreciate the nod to the source material, but this level is impossible to play without better lighting effects. Props for the atmosphere though, the tornado sound in the distance is rather unsettling.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2015 03:16 by ChaosUnown. Reason: Level Reviews
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProMarbler

• Thank you received: 401
10 Mar 2015 17:00 #145
For those of you who aren't aware, Marble Chambers is a nod to an indie game called Antichamber . It's a brilliant puzzle game and I highly recommend checking it out if you're at all intrigued by the Sandbox level. You should be able to pick it up for $5 or less during a sale.

Also Whirli, to compile the Linux executables as 32-bit, pass -m32 to GCC.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
10 Mar 2015 17:14 #146
Can confirm that Antichamber is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played. Also I played it for three hours straight and had to lie down because it hurt my brain so much. 10/10 would recommend so much I made a damn MarbleBlast level out of it.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Kalle29
  • I blame ping for losing
  • Thank you received: 754
10 Mar 2015 18:46 #147
I like the fact that "Möbius" is now correctly spelt.

༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽ You have been visited by the Nivea™ Donger of moisture. Soft skin and good fortune will come to you, but only if you post "thank you Mr. Skeltal" in this thread ༼ ͡◕ ͜ ʖ ͡◕༽

10 Mar 2015 19:12 #148
Didn't realize that it was spelled that way!

• Buzzmusic
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • I make levels and songs.
  • Thank you received: 145
11 Mar 2015 01:49 #149

All posts from my account that were made before July 29 2013 are from the point of view of my dad unless it states otherwise.

11 Mar 2015 02:31 #150
Also, judging by how quickly Angular Limbo overflows the console logger when tracing, I'd recommend occasionally quitting and restarting the game when playing that level. Just the sheer amount of function calls might be too much for some to handle. Also avoid touching the orange stick without a platform (as shown above). Touching it will cause game-fatal memory corruption within a second, and crash.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.174 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.