• Aayrl
  • Aayrl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Big Deal!
  • Thank you received: 368
19 Dec 2016 03:45 #1
Hello everyone,
I am pleased to announce after several weeks of...

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to announce after several weeks of evaluation, we have decided to upgrade our Forum infrastructure to its latest stable version. Our previous forum software had reached its end of life, so it was necessary from a security point of view to complete the upgrade before the end of 2017.

With the new Forum infrastructure comes some exciting enhancements that we hope will make the forums easier to navigate and participate in! Below are some of the most important changes you'll notice:

• An all new Forum Template and Layout!

• All staff member posts now have a light blue background color in order to assist members with identifying official responses from the Marble Blast Community Staff!

• The Marble Blast Community Staff now also have the power to flag community posts as "Helpful", indicated by a light-green color!

• We've cleaned up how News Article replies look on the Home Page to keep our front doors super clean! Don't worry, you'll still be able to comment if you head over to the News Feed or Forums!

We're excited to hear your feedback and suggestions for improvements or changes to this new system. Please feel free to leave a comment and we'll do our best to address any issues you may encounter!

Enjoy!

~Aayrl

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ralph, MBOUltimate, Nockess
The topic has been locked.
  • IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
19 Dec 2016 03:51 #2
I've not been participating in the whole new forums thing (this is something mainly Aayrl and HiGuy were working on) and I like the end result. I like the touch of ensuring staff posts have a slight blue color to it, and a green color for useful posts. I assume green overrides blue though? You may want to remove the blue part from the spam board, though :p

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.
  • Aayrl
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Big Deal!
19 Dec 2016 04:08 #3
Helpful posts will indeed override Staff Blue. I think we'll leave it as-is on the Spam Board, it's more fun that way.

~Aayrl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three
  • Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
19 Dec 2016 13:38 #4
The new design is absolutely mind-blowing! The website sure looks sweeter than it already was! Literally the best uptade this website has encountered for long moments!

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

• Thank you received: 198
19 Dec 2016 14:14 #5
I really liked the new design.

The only thing that bothers me is:

1. The profile picture
- too big

2. The amount of times mistaking every damn post as a quote is too damn high!

Overall its good c:

lee is awesome
  • eblu
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • (formerly eboyblue3)
  • Thank you received: 54
19 Dec 2016 20:27 #6
1. the redesign is too cluttered on mobile
2. the "replied to" header is unnecessary and overlaps the top of some messages
3. the action button is unreliable. i deleted my post in this topic trying to edit it and i somehow managed to subscribe to it trying to make a new reply
4. the profile pics in mobile editor are way too big

IsraeliRD wrote: The...

come discord brah: eblu#8048
  • Thank you received: 406
19 Dec 2016 20:34 - 19 Dec 2016 20:35 #7
The new forums look very nice! However, my status keeps going to "Away" when I'm not away, and it would be nice to have all of the information (posts, karma, and thank yous received) always visible like it was before. Could there be a way to, while writing a post, not have the subscribe box checked by default? It's annoying because I have to uncheck it every single time I post. Also, I very much agree with Lee's comment that every post looks like a quote. It's very confusing.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 20:35 by NF. Reason: Added the last sentence.
  • eblu
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • (formerly eboyblue3)
19 Dec 2016 21:29 #8
ok one more thing.

i just got to look at the new forums on pc and they look substantially better than on mobile. in fact, it looks even better than the old one here.

it seems like you just forgot to test the new forums on mobile before making it live, which is a major pitfall for any web developer. make sure your website works on every platform, yo.

The following user(s) said Thank You: J@ckRB, NF
  • Thank you received: 64
19 Dec 2016 23:10 #9
Yea the new design looks really slick. Good work guys :side:
  • Aayrl
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Big Deal!
20 Dec 2016 02:38 - 20 Dec 2016 04:18 #10
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I would like to clarify a few troubling things I've read and heard so far and hopefully address them in the next few days:

FIXED:
  • The Post Quote Issue - I have added a hotfix to remove this.
  • Weird borders around messages and extra padding have been removed.
  • Profile Pictures were huge and round! - The profile pictures are now back to their original size.
  • Mobile Layout - We tested the layout on mobile devices and on smaller screen sizes to make sure it was readable and usable. Since I can't possibly own every tablet, smartphone, or small screen device in the world, I settle for a User-Agent switcher plugin in my browser to simulate these changes for me. We certainly strive to ensure we've adequately tested each aspect of the website before releasing an update such as this, I admit we have missed certain elements. I'll be sure to amend any mobile design issues you guys encounter, so please keep the posts coming. It helps speed up the process if you can tell us the following details: A) What device you are using B ) Your screen resolution C) An example URL we can compare against.[/strike] - These should be fixed for the most part - Please post some evidence if you encounter any further issues on mobile devices.

PENDING FIXES:
  • Recent Topics / My Topics look strange on certain size screens - Pending CSS fix.
  • Action Button - again, another limitation of the new forum system that I'll work with HiGuy to build a solution for in the coming weeks. It's not an easy nor quick code fix, and will require some time to test and adjust appropriately.

If I did not cover one of your topics above, it is absolutely on our list of issues to investigate - I simply identified the pressing matters above so everyone is aware of what we will be correcting first, since the above pertain to layout breaking functionality.

Again, we greatly appreciate the amount of feedback we've received so far. Please, keep your comments and suggestions coming so we can work to improve the Forums to the best of our abilities for the best possible user experience!

Please be mindful the holiday season is near, and our time is limited when it comes to Marble Blast. It may take a few days to a few weeks for us to adjust all of the necessary changes.

Thanks,
~Aayrl
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 04:18 by Aayrl. Reason: Updated for 12/19/2016 Hotfix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muffeyo
  • Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
20 Dec 2016 02:41 #11

Aayrl wrote: It helps speed up the process if you can tell us the following details: A) What device you are using B) Your screen resolution C) An example URL we can compare against.[/li]

I have an iPhone 7, so my screen resolution is 1334x750.

As for the URL thing, are there any specifics you need? Same forums hoster/website or just any website?

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
  • Aayrl
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Big Deal!
20 Dec 2016 03:02 #12
For URLs I'm looking for forum topics, users or pages on the MarbleBlast website where you notice a particular issue.

E.g., marbleblast.com/index.php/forum/rules-news/9252-forum-changes - on Landscape view on my iPhone 7, Rozi's avatar overlaps his message slightly and makes reading his posts difficult.

Thanks,
~Aayrl
  • Weather
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • ≡
  • Thank you received: 262
20 Dec 2016 13:39 - 20 Dec 2016 15:21 #13
Now that most of the reported issues have been fixed, the new forum design looks very nice, but there are a few other issues (aside from the pesky Action button). All of these issues are from using the website with Firefox on a desktop computer with a horizontal resolution of around 1900.
  • If you go to this post , and compare it with the BBCode version (by quoting), you'll see that it adds newlines in wierd places (in this post too, actually). I didn't add the space between "post" and the comma either, for that matter. :​P
  • Before adding the URL, I had "this post" highlighted. It did put the highlighted text in the URL tags, but added a copy of the URL anyway.
  • The sizes of the text at normal zoom look strange:

I would suggest making the signature and edit note the size of the regular post text, removing the blue box around the edit note but keeping the blue color, and making the regular post text and quote text the size of the signature. Might be good to put boxes around quotes instead.
  • The image, link, etc. properties are partially covered by the attachments button.
  • The new status system seems a bit strange. Automatic online/offline statuses with a force offline option seem sufficient.

Now if you'll excuse me, a car just cleared the backyard fence.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2016 15:21 by Weather.
  • Thank you received: 91
20 Dec 2016 22:51 #14
I use a 13" laptop and the window size makes it so that literally 95% of the space is wasted on single-line posts:

And when I tried uploading that image:

If it ain't broke,...
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
22 Dec 2016 03:43 #15

If it ain't broke,...

Sadly a lot of Kunena was broken. We couldn't fix quite a few issues (namely remote code execution in avatar uploads) without a complete upgrade to this latest version. Hopefully the changes aren't too jarring or annoying.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derpky
  • eblu
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • (formerly eboyblue3)
22 Dec 2016 17:46 #16
i'd like it if you moved away from kunena entirely, seeing as it's incredibly buggy and is causing a lot of UX issues

i'm sure you could use software like phpBB (my recommendation), since a lot of the developers here are already familiar with php

if not, please figure out a way to revert to the old style. i accidentally subscribed to this topic again trying to make this post.

• Thank you received: 401
22 Dec 2016 18:05 #17

eboyblue3 wrote: i'd like it if you moved away from kunena entirely, seeing as it's incredibly buggy and is causing a lot of UX issues

i'm sure you could use software like phpBB (my recommendation), since a lot of the developers here are already familiar with php

if not, please figure out a way to revert to the old style. i accidentally subscribed to this topic again trying to make this post.

We've talked about this quite a few times now but unfortunately it would be quite a big undertaking to switch forum software. It's not as simple as just uninstalling Kunena and installing the new thing. We would have to migrate the entire post database, link user accounts to the Leaderboards, and then rewrite plugins that we've developed. Not to mention we'd probably have to develop or buy a skin for the whole thing on top of it all. Kunena also integrates well with Joomla (which we use for the front page, downloads, etc.) and we'd have to either replace Joomla or spend even more time developing an integration plugin. There are very few people in this community who have the time available to do all of that, and we aren't even convinced that it will be worthwhile.

Downgrading to the old version of Kunena also isn't an option, which HiGuy explained in his post above you.

We understand that many people (myself included) are upset with the new layout, but Aayrl has already done a great job at fixing some of the major problems and we will continue to improve it moving forward.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three, Nockess, eblu
  • Aayrl
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Big Deal!
23 Dec 2016 23:09 #18
Thanks for the feedback Weather and Nobody, I've added your items to our internal fix list to take care of in the next few weeks. Please be patient as we find time to test fixes during the holidays.

eboyblue3 - I'm sorry that you are not finding the new layout as easy to use as the previous design. We were stuck in a position that forced us to upgrade to the new template due to security and infrastructure reasons and made our best efforts to tune the provided template to our website's format and user requirements.

If there are any features in particular that you would like us to further refine, as you've done earlier in the thread, please provide us with specific details so we can make adjustments as necessary. I've already worked with HiGuy to iron out most of the issues you previously discussed.

We have discussed using forum systems, including phpBB, in the past, but ultimately agreed on the current system as it integrated the most seamlessly with our databases and website while providing easy upgrade paths and customization options that simply aren't available with other open source and commercial products.

Thanks,
~Aayrl
  • Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
24 Dec 2016 01:04 - 24 Dec 2016 01:04 #19

One modal is fine. It functions how it should. Two modals selected at the same time will not work. I can't put a link, or just any text, in any of the boxes.
And the attachments button is half-covering the close modal button.

Let's go back to the proboards. :P

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
Last edit: 24 Dec 2016 01:04 by Nockess.
  • Thank you received: 0
02 Jan 2017 18:59 #20
nice graphics
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
09 Jan 2017 19:24 #21
Just posting here to let people know I've attempted to make the signatures more obvious, and changed the action buttons to no longer be a dropdown menu. Hopefully this should fix some of the issues people have been having.

Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derpky, Nockess, Weather, eblu
  • Thank you received: 146
09 Jan 2017 21:09 #22
I think it would be useful to have a button that links the forum profile ( marbleblast.com/index.php/forum/user/17582-el-robert ) with the actual profile ( marbleblast.com/index.php/profile?disp=browse&user=17582 ).
Also:

:>
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF
  • Aayrl
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Big Deal!
10 Jan 2017 01:03 #23
I have the Attachment button overlay issue on my Todo list from an earlier comment. I'll try to get it fixed up this week if I have time.

What do you mean by a button that links the forum profile to the actual profile? A link under the avatar on the forums, perhaps?

Thanks,

~Aayrl
  • HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
10 Jan 2017 03:18 #24
The issue with the attachments button is actually because the picture settings options are supposed to be a modal... Somehow jQuery doesn't have the modal plugin enabled.

Code:
  • Thank you received: 146
10 Jan 2017 09:50 #25

Aayrl wrote: What do you mean by a button that links the forum profile to the actual profile? A link under the avatar on the forums, perhaps?

Yes, I think that would work too. What I meant is that whenever you click someone's name from a forum post it gets you to his forum profile (marbleblast.com/index.php/forum/user/17582-el-robert). I was thinking about having a button there (under the avatar, sure, why not) that upon clicking would take you to his "actual profile" (marbleblast.com/index.php/profile?disp=browse&user=17582), the one with game statistics, achievements etc. At the moment, in order to see that profile, we need to search the user in the Scores section of the site.

:>
The following user(s) said Thank You: Weather, Muffeyo
  • Aayrl
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Big Deal!
12 Jan 2017 01:13 #26
Makes sense.

I'll add this to our list.

Thanks,
~Aayrl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert, Muffeyo
Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.941 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.