file New Discord Rules

• Doomblah
  • Doomblah's Avatar Topic Author
  • Marble Blast Veteran
  • Thank you received: 83
27 Mar 2021 22:31 #1
Today we held our first staff meeting to discuss various things about the community, the biggest topic of which was the new discord rules. We've all come to an agreement on the new rules and here they are!

1. Be kind to one another. Treat others how you would like to be treated yourself.
2. In order to join this server you must have an account on marbleblast.com/ . Just like on the website, you need to be at least 13 years old to be here.
3. Try to follow the channel topics. Don’t spam, and don’t talk about NSFW topics or politics. Remember that this is a Marble Blast server and we want to keep the focus on the game.
4. You are welcome to post any new Marble Blast content (such as videos, new levels, etc.) in #new-content, but use other channels to discuss what is posted there.
5. Do not advertise other Discord servers here.
6. You are only allowed one account per person, creating multiple accounts is considered ban evasion.
7. Edge cases and interpretation is up to the moderators’ discretion.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? We will answer your questions and elaborate on any of rules if theres anything that you feel needs further explanation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: petalflurry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
27 Mar 2021 23:03 #2
Why is creating multiple accounts in general ban evasion, just make the rule "ban evasion not allowed". Alts have been done several times before, whether it's for humor, challenges, or testing.

If no discord servers are allowed to be posted, I sure hope no one posts the MIU server link. That would be against the rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: azful

• Thank you received: 43
28 Mar 2021 20:36 #3

Doomblah wrote: 6. You are only allowed one account per person, creating multiple accounts is considered ban evasion.

Could some sort of profile system be put in place here?
I would think some users have alt accounts to give themselves a challenge of some sorts (speedrunning top 100, seeing how they play under different controls, etc).
What if we were able to have multiple profiles under one account?
So if you had 2 profiles, you would have your main and original one which is displayed on the leaderboards, the other one would show in a different color and be stored within the player's account but won't be put on the leaderboards, like it shows locally where they place and whatnot but their times aren't actually submitted to the actual leaderboards or something.

I'm only bringing this up because it could motivate some players to start playing again, seeing the leaderboards at ground zero but without affecting the leaderboards themselves.

Idk it was just an idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Enigma, NF, petalflurry

• Thank you received: 38
29 Mar 2021 08:18 #4
woo, glad to see this finally be discussed!

i am glad to see a lot of these things be ironed out. that being said, i do have some suggestions concerning rules that i believe could be written a bit more clearly, or considered from a different angle.

1. Be kind to one another. Treat others how you would like to be treated yourself.

the open-endedness of this concerns me. on the surface it looks like common sense, but i can see this going poorly, and i even believe ive seen this happen in the past.

say "x" and i get into a disagreement over something game-related, and we agree to disagree. things may get serious/heated, but nothing is said with malice or with the intent to hurt feelings. however, i took something x said quite personally. x did not intend for that to be the case. i go to staff and say they "were not kind to me," thus breaking rule 1. x is then reprimanded for an honest miscommunication, and there is now a lingering feeling of mutual hostility.

the alternative to this that i would like to see practiced is that the people involved address eachother directly to sort out any issues, or if they are especially non-confrontational, perhaps a moderator mediates. i want to see healthy conflict resolution be encouraged going forward to avoid any unnecessary beef.

i suggest that this to be amended to say, "Be kind to one another. Treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. If you feel you're being treated poorly, reach out to moderators for help with this." along with internal protocol very explicitly being to resolve the issue between the two civilly, and for the incident (and both sides) to be documented (in a very objective, non-biased way) in case it becomes a repeated behavior that must be cited in the future.

5. Do not advertise other Discord servers here.

i think posting links to marble blast related servers should be allowed. we have seen it be done in the past few days by a moderator, Go'Way, as main_gi alluded to. it only feels natural to contextually link mb-related servers. i do not think the line should be drawn at "official" servers, since this whole community is unofficial and user-created.

i suggest that this be amended to say, "Do not post links to Discord servers not related to MB here." (i changed the word "advertising" to avoid the implication that the pq server can be used as a means to advertise other mb servers without context)

6. You are only allowed one account per person, creating multiple accounts is considered ban evasion.

i dont see how multiple accounts = ban evasion ????? what if that person isnt banned? if someone isnt banned, they should be allowed to make multiple accounts considering alts are a common thing for a multitude of reasons.

i suggest that this be amended to say, "If someone is banned, they are not permitted to make any new accounts, as that is considered ban evasion." (but even that feels super self-explanatory lol)

7. Edge cases and interpretation is up to the moderators’ discretion.

i want confirmation that edge cases are to be discussed between moderators in staff chat (as opposed to prior moderation deciding edge cases on a personal basis without discussion or the discussion taking place in private servers)

i suggest that this be amended to say, "Edge cases and interpretation is up to the moderators' collective discretion."

thanks for opening the floor for discussion. :lol:

(=⌒‿‿⌒=)
The following user(s) said Thank You: main_gi, NF, Nockess

• Doomblah
  • Marble Blast Veteran
10 Apr 2021 18:20 #5
Thank you for pointing out to us that rule 6 was poorly worded. The rule about ban evasion has been reworded to address those them. The rule now reads
"Ban evasion is not allowed. Making another account when you have been banned is considered ban evasion."

Eclipsia wrote: Could some sort of profile system be put in place here?
I would think some users have alt accounts to give themselves a challenge of some sorts (speedrunning top 100, seeing how they play under different controls, etc).

These rules are for Discord not for marbleblast.com accounts. Rules for that will be discussed among staff soon.

• Doomblah
  • Marble Blast Veteran
10 Apr 2021 18:45 #6
Thank you for your detailed response Az, we're glad to have this discussion.

Regarding Rule 1 & 7
Rule 1 and Rule 7 work together to try to cover all the bases. We cannot possibly list out every case of should and should not do's, we felt that keeping it vague was better than making an enormous ruleset that no one would ever read. Regardless we thought that you had some good ideas and the rules have been changed to:
1. Be kind to one another. Treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. Don't be afraid to ask a moderator for help.
7. Edge cases and interpretation is up to the moderators’ collective discretion.

Regarding Rule 5
The Marble It Up discord can be linked to when someone asks about MIU. This isn't really advertising that server as it is directing people to a more relevant community. However if you would like to advertise your own unrelated server please take it to DMs rather than posting it in our discord.

• Doomblah
  • Marble Blast Veteran
07 Feb 2022 15:30 #7
Yesterday we had a staff meeting where we discussed the rules to our Discord and have decided to change Rules 2 & 3.

Rule 2 used to be: In order to join this server you must have an account on marbleblast.com/ . Just like on the website, you need to be at least 13 years old to be here.
Its being changed to: You need to be at least 13 years old to be here.
This rule we simply carried over from the rules before we changed them originally. No one checked to make sure you had a MB account and it seems a silly arbitrary rule to restrict the people who can join. The part about being at least 13 years old will not change.

Rule 3 used to be: Try to follow the channel topics. Don’t spam, and don’t talk about NSFW topics or politics. Remember that this is a Marble Blast server and we want to keep the focus on the game.
This rule is being split into 2 rules which are now:
- Don’t spam, don’t talk about adult topics or politics, and do not post gross, shocking, or adult content. This is a PG-13 server.
- Try to follow the channel topics. Remember that this is a Marble Blast server and we want to keep the focus on the game.
This rule change is intended to make more clear what kind of topics/content are not allowed in our server.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wilchz

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.707 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.