file Marble Blast Hills

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
03 Mar 2013 18:25 #61
Trace that terrain is awesomesauce man

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• FruBlox
  • FruBlox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 2
03 Mar 2013 19:05 #62
Woo, great job, Trace! Though I did find one of the tiles misaligned:

Other than that, the terrain seems to be perfect. Now it's time for me to get to work creating something of that level!

Also, that island terrain looks insane. How many brushes are even in there? Does it convert?

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
03 Mar 2013 21:06 #63
Okay, I know this is a double-post, but I do have some new content!

Here's my attempt at creating a smooth, grassy hill:

This time I used 4x4 tiles but kept the grid scaling to 0.05. It took me a while, but the result was a rather smooth-looking hill. I find it's important to minimise sharp shifts in elevation of any single vertex in order to avoid the bad shadows from previous attempts. It does take a good deal of time, but that seems to be required to make the hill look nice. I think that the key to making large expanses of terrain like this will probably be to make a few terrains like this in size and just string them together (they are tile-able).

Also, it's insanely fun to roll around on.

Hope the posts in this thread get even better! Can't wait to see what will come next.

• Thank you received: 57
03 Mar 2013 21:20 #64
Mar 3, 2013, 11:05am, frublox wrote:Woo, great job, Trace! Though I did find one of the tiles misaligned:

Other than that, the terrain seems to be perfect. Now it's time for me to get to work creating something of that level!

Also, that island terrain looks insane. How many brushes are even in there? Does it convert?

8191 brushes, yes it does convert.

Mar 3, 2013, 5:50am, rdsempire wrote:Trace pretty much won this thread. Really amazing work on that (i bet it took many hours to make that crazy hill one) and i think its as far as we can go in this direction...

Took maybe 10 minutes, but I'm not giving up my secrets just yet (hint- I made it off a heightmap and then textured it.)

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
03 Mar 2013 21:33 #65
=p

Yeah, I try to limit each map I make to <1000 brushes, to keep things manageable. One of the problems with creating really custom terrain is the sheer amount of brushes it takes, and Marble Blast (nor Constructor, from my experience) doesn't like that.

Either way, I just hope you'll eventually reveal your technique, as I currently don't know how to incorporate heightmap into Constructor. It seems like it'd be a huge contribution to map-making.

03 Mar 2013 21:57 #66
Mar 3, 2013, 1:33pm, frublox wrote:=p

Yeah, I try to limit each map I make to <1000 brushes, to keep things manageable. One of the problems with creating really custom terrain is the sheer amount of brushes it takes, and Marble Blast (nor Constructor, from my experience) doesn't like that.

Either way, I just hope you'll eventually reveal your technique, as I currently don't know how to incorporate heightmap into Constructor. It seems like it'd be a huge contribution to map-making.

Yea, I've tried making maps with 32k brushes but unfortunately map2dif doesnt like 16 mb map files :/

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
03 Mar 2013 21:59 #67
With all of those brushes, has anybody had any lag on their system from the massive amounts of rendering those convexs on the interiors? I know we pretty much have high-ended systems, but I wonder how these would work on slower, older computers.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
03 Mar 2013 22:23 #68
If you're talking about my terrains, then no, I don't think so. I believe the maximum number of brushes I have used in any terrain in this topic is around 600, which seems to be a reasonable amount, considering many mid-sized levels have more than that. There actually aren't a lot of complicated surfaces in the maps, which is one of the reasons it converts so well. Complicated terrains tend to be very sketchy with Map2Dif anyway, and most causes of lag are from brush count.

Trace's grassy terrain seems to run quite well, too. However, I do wonder about his island terrain with 8k brushes. That certainly seems like it'd need a high-end computer.

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
04 Mar 2013 01:15 #69
Mar 3, 2013, 2:23pm, frublox wrote:
Trace's grassy terrain seems to run quite well, too. However, I do wonder about his island terrain with 8k brushes. That certainly seems like it'd need a high-end computer.
Easy game. Converting is super fast and it should load totally fine in game. As i tested before with 8k square brushes (48k surfaces (96k triangle surfaces)) MB sometimes loaded level sometimes didn't and crashed. Thats the approximate limit to how much faces MB can handle I assume because nor Map2dif or constructor crashed at that point. (Tho constructor was struggling to save 8k brush map) and my computer wasn't even that high end... I consider it middle level gaming PC...

@Trace: cr@p I assumed you were using some sort of hacks but didn't believed you found some script that converts heightmap into so good triangle brushes

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
04 Mar 2013 02:50 #70
Mar 3, 2013, 11:05am, frublox wrote:Woo, great job, Trace! Though I did find one of the tiles misaligned

There were 3 of them actually :3

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
04 Mar 2013 05:34 #71
Mar 3, 2013, 6:50pm, admin wrote:
Mar 3, 2013, 11:05am, frublox wrote:Woo, great job, Trace! Though I did find one of the tiles misaligned

It seems you have a sharper eye than even I, my good sir.

(that was supposed to be a quote-like thing, except it's not really quoted from anything)

Anyway, Trace's island map (from what I read) seems to be indeed pushing MB's power to have all of these complex structures and faces. I feel like if we want to go further without requiring every player to have a serious pc that can handle things like this, then we'd have to start using modelling programmes to do it. By that point this thread is kind of over, since the whole point was to use Constructor. (mainly to see how far Constructor can go with Marble Blast)

04 Mar 2013 08:02 #72
Mar 3, 2013, 9:34pm, frublox wrote:
Mar 3, 2013, 6:50pm, admin wrote:

It seems you have a sharper eye than even I, my good sir.

(that was supposed to be a quote-like thing, except it's not really quoted from anything)

Anyway, Trace's island map (from what I read) seems to be indeed pushing MB's power to have all of these complex structures and faces. I feel like if we want to go further without requiring every player to have a serious pc that can handle things like this, then we'd have to start using modelling programmes to do it. By that point this thread is kind of over, since the whole point was to use Constructor. (mainly to see how far Constructor can go with Marble Blast)

I'm just letting you know the way I do it has complete control over the number of triangles and the size of each one. Could make a map any size with any numbers of triangles, it all just depends on what the maker wants to do. For instance here's a picture of a heightmapped Australia, only using 1.1k brushes. So yes, you could make any map with any size you wanted, it just depends on how smooth you want to make it. (P.S. I'm not using only constructor )

And now I present to you, (with a lot of debugging help from Matan) the largest map ever /hurr! If this map doesn't lag your computer, nothing that I would ever reasonably create will.

www.mediafire.com/?h48wt9n3i42oau7

Semi-related proof of concept: var pb_ad_url = ads.proboards.com/ad.pl?as=300x250&ap=BT...15&cb=+Math.random() ; document.write('');

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
04 Mar 2013 18:32 #73
K lets not make this secret to anyone shall we (not like that D3D ''hack'' showcase you did no offence) so the program he used was this nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=2#p2
The program has been mostly used by old counter strike map makers (because they were at same situation as are we now without possibility to make heightmap normally in program).
Funniest part is that i'm failing to export my terrain without lots and lots of brushes going out of control or game crashing after passing certain distance (i bet i messed something up with settings). But its really fun to play around that program.
Also i heavily warn you. If exporter gives you tons of errors (and process continues) and if you click exit button it still doesn't close exporter and it will error till it stops (lagging computer at that point) (also im exporting directly through constructor but thing sould be the same to: drop map in map2dif.exe users). Only way to stop it is through task manager process list.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom

04 Mar 2013 20:19 #74
Mar 4, 2013, 10:32am, rdsempire wrote:K lets not make this secret to anyone shall we (not like that D3D ''hack'' showcase you did no offence) so the program he used was this nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=2#p2
The program has been mostly used by old counter strike map makers (because they were at same situation as are we now without possibility to make heightmap normally in program).
Funniest part is that i'm failing to export my terrain without lots and lots of brushes going out of control or game crashing after passing certain distance (i bet i messed something up with settings). But its really fun to play around that program.
Also i heavily warn you. If exporter gives you tons of errors (and process continues) and if you click exit button it still doesn't close exporter and it will error till it stops (lagging computer at that point) (also im exporting directly through constructor but thing sould be the same to: drop map in map2dif.exe users). Only way to stop it is through task manager process list.

Damnit, I've been found out

However, I've never had a problem with exporting anything and anything hanging. I don't know what settings you are using, or what version of map2dif, but you shouldn't have to kill anything using task manager.

You can technically use any size map with any number of triangles, it all depends on how much work you want to do splitting it up.

(You're exporting it in Hammer 220 .map format right?)

(D3D hack is just getting ENB Series to work on marble blast)

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
05 Mar 2013 01:19 #75
Wow! That's insanely cool! I had a feeling it had something to do with this, and when you mentioned heightmaps it all sort of fit together. I'm still figuring out how to use the tool (the first terrain I've created couldn't convert with Map2Dif), so I'd appreciate any pointers. Mainly how to get textures into it, as I can't seem to figure that out.

Great tool, and it definitely is a big contribution.

Also, that huge map you linked ran great for me. No extra loading time and it ran smoothly when I played it.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
05 Mar 2013 01:37 #76
^make sure you use map splitter by otto for excessive sized maps. I suggested that to trace too.

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
05 Mar 2013 02:03 #77
My map was relatively small (I think), less than 2k brushes. Mainly got the vislink and bad winding errors.

05 Mar 2013 06:42 #78
Mar 4, 2013, 5:19pm, frublox wrote:Wow! That's insanely cool! I had a feeling it had something to do with this, and when you mentioned heightmaps it all sort of fit together. I'm still figuring out how to use the tool (the first terrain I've created couldn't convert with Map2Dif), so I'd appreciate any pointers. Mainly how to get textures into it, as I can't seem to figure that out.

Also, that huge map you linked ran great for me. No extra loading time and it ran smoothly when I played it.

How to add textures: imgur.com/a/4ulWH

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
05 Mar 2013 07:07 #79
Mar 4, 2013, 5:37pm, jeff wrote:^make sure you use map splitter by otto for excessive sized maps. I suggested that to trace too.

I did a better map split yesterday for trace, and also his original one worked as-is without splits.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

05 Mar 2013 07:28 #80
Mar 4, 2013, 11:07pm, admin wrote:
Mar 4, 2013, 5:37pm, jeff wrote:^make sure you use map splitter by otto for excessive sized maps. I suggested that to trace too.

I did a better map split yesterday for trace, and also his original one worked as-is without splits.

Just lots of holes. However a massive map with 8k brushes in a single map file I think holes would be expected

But yes, if you're making the map right you shouldn't be getting conversion errors.

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
06 Mar 2013 00:28 #81
Mar 4, 2013, 10:42pm, conor wrote:
Mar 4, 2013, 5:19pm, frublox wrote:Wow! That's insanely cool! I had a feeling it had something to do with this, and when you mentioned heightmaps it all sort of fit together. I'm still figuring out how to use the tool (the first terrain I've created couldn't convert with Map2Dif), so I'd appreciate any pointers. Mainly how to get textures into it, as I can't seem to figure that out.

How to add textures: imgur.com/a/4ulWH

Thanks!

EDIT: Now I just need to figure out how to convert it through Map2Dif. Tried splitting up the map but that didn't work.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
06 Mar 2013 02:02 #82
Are you using m2d+ or just regular m2d? it won't work on m2d.

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
06 Mar 2013 02:37 #83
still having problems on normal terrains using m2d+ (lots of weird brushes). Has anyone tried luck on Diffix2?

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
06 Mar 2013 04:16 #84
I'm using the marbleblast Map2Dif. Should I not be?

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
06 Mar 2013 05:08 #85
There's a m2d+ which is better for brushes of these types (mass triangles). However you still need to be aware on how to split maps properly. Maybe trace will release 1up with the splits ive done and the original map.

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
06 Mar 2013 05:11 #86
There's another one for Marble Blast? I haven't heard about it. Also, where would I get it?

What do you mean splitting up the map properly? I just cut and paste halves of the map into different map files.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
06 Mar 2013 06:43 #87
Beats me. You could click here and find out though. And clicking here would lead you to DifFix2.

Splitting up map: yes, cut and paste is the method I use but not halves, I just cut like 6-8 rows from the top, then the next 6-8 etc. If the end result for new map files from such split is 700-1000kbs then it's good. Any more and you're risking errors.

• Thank you received: 0
06 Mar 2013 16:02 #88
What torque are you using? I'm not good with torque

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
06 Mar 2013 16:24 #89
Hypersonic, please read the thread carefully before making a response. You could also learn what programs we're using based on this thread and you would have learned this has nothing to do with the Torque Game Engine itself, but programs and components created for it as well as other programs being utilised.

• FruBlox
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
06 Mar 2013 18:37 #90
Ah, thanks, will try it out later on. The terrain I'm testing is less than 1000 kb without splits, so would that cause any issues?

That map2dif seems like it'll be VERY useful. Though I haven't experimented much with serious curves and crazy interiors, that and seizure's methods might give me some incentive to do so.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.171 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.