file [Discussion] Level Builders, what's the most annoying thing about Constructor?

• Jiquor
  • Jiquor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
  • Thank you received: 155
13 Apr 2018 09:41 - 13 Apr 2018 09:42 #1
Okay, okay, I know this title is confusing, but I couldn't come up with a better title. Let me elaborate.

Let's say you're in the process of building a level, it doesn't have to be easy, it doesn't have to be difficult, it doesn't have to be geometrically complex -- it could be anything.
You're using the level builder used and known by many in this community (and probably outside it to some degree,) Torque Constructor.

When your level is being built and ideas are flooding through the brain, something catches you off guard in your building - something really annoying. What is that glitch/error in the coding of Torque Constructor that just ticks you off to no end?

I will list mine so you guys can list some suggestions. I'd have to say the most annoying thing about Torque Constructor is when the Undo/Redo keys break. Those are vital for correcting a mistake, and to get them to work again, I have to completely quit Constructor and re-open it, possibly saving my progress, too. Yep, that piece I just cut and deleted? Gone forever - cannot be undoed because the stupid application managed to have a heart attack and break the undo/redo functions. How appealing.

(Let me say, which is important, that this just happened while I was building Dive II, also known as Downward Plunge for Marble Blast STOP II. Something I deleted that I thought, "Hey, I could use this, actually!" is now gone forever because the undo key broke. Screw you too, Constructor.)

A comic to come sooner or later. Be patient.

STOPX Creator. Getting better by every release.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 09:42 by Jiquor. Reason: no real reason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
13 Apr 2018 12:39 - 13 Apr 2018 12:40 #2
Torque Constructor is a great software to make interiors if you can't handle QuArK, however here's a few flaws:
  • Red lines / broken brushes out of nowhere
  • Texture alignment settings can be messed up
  • Can crash quickly if you don't save
  • "Vislink cannot be coplanar with a node"
  • Doesn't automatically delete the unidentified textures (marked by this ugly cyan/yellow error texture)
  • Can easily anger MBMap2Dif"
  • Due to the geometry management, takes a lot of time and brushes to make more complex shaping
  • Pyramids working in .csx's but being removed in .map's
And so on.
But still, Constructor is literally my best friend on my computer.

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 12:40 by Ralph.

• Thank you received: 198
13 Apr 2018 14:40 - 13 Apr 2018 14:40 #3
  • Sometimes highlighting brushes will not actually highlight the brushes that you wanted, and then highlights brushes that you don't want.
  • Creating weird brushes (like pyramids) causes Constructor to not register my mouse clicks.
  • Texturing half pipes are a pain in the bum. (iirc HiGuy has an updated version of pie.cs but hasn't uploaded it even though I have bugged him to for the past few months, higy pls)

• lee is awesome
    Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 14:40 by Lee.

• Three
    • Lead Developer
    • Lead Developer
    • level designer
    • Thank you received: 349
    13 Apr 2018 16:23 #4
  • When it crashes when placing path_nodes, especially if your level has a lot of moving parts
  • When it starts selecting the wrong face (which is fixed by closing and reloading the map)

• I think I've been really lucky to be honest, I don't suffer from many bugs or crashes when I use the program.
    Especially in Constructor, always make sure that you save CONSTANTLY. I save after doing literally anything to any brush, just in case. If you're planning on doing something risky that might mess up your map (ie. moving platforms in a .map file), make a backup first. Seriously, make this a habit. It's a good one to have.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

• HiGuy
    • Lead Developer
    • Lead Developer
    • PQ Developer Emeritus
    • Thank you received: 604
    14 Apr 2018 05:03 - 14 Apr 2018 05:04 #5
    • Pressed undo? Hope you like having two start pads.
    • (no one else will have this) forgot to delete the dso? Your cs file changes don't apply then.
    • Gets reaaaaaallly slow if you have > 1000 brushes
    • When you click on a brush but it selects another brush because you were a fool and made a pyramid
    • Modal selection means you can't select verts on brushes you don't have selected in brush mode. Unless you Cmd+A to select all in which case it'll just select everything.
    • When you save and it turns all your Door_Elevators into worldspawns
    • When you rotate a brush and it makes all the texture offsets like 1000000 and everything looks blocky

Also,

when the Undo/Redo keys break. Those are vital for correcting a mistake, and to get them to work again, I have to completely quit Constructor and re-open it

Open the undo panel and hit the trash icon. Your undo buffer is full.

This signature is real code
    Code:
    function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
    Last edit: 14 Apr 2018 05:04 by HiGuy.

• Jiquor
    • Jiquor's Avatar Topic Author
    • Professional Marbler
    • Professional Marbler
    • STOPX Creator
    • Thank you received: 155
    16 Apr 2018 04:32 #6
    Yeah I've tried that. It seems to just be my own bug for this round of Constructor I have installed.

Another one: when selecting faces, you select different faces, re-launch constructor and bug doesn't fix itself, still keeps selecting different faces not meant to select
    > has to re-install torque constructor to fix everything

i cannot tell you how many times this has happened to me
    maybe 7 times
    or 8 times

STOPX Creator. Getting better by every release.

Moderators: Doomblah
    Time to create page: 0.839 seconds
    We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.