• LegoCreator768
  • LegoCreator768's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Always on technology
  • Thank you received: 19
02 Jun 2015 14:24 #1
Hey guys!

FPS games were built differently than they are now. They used to be survival mazes. In the 90's some FPS games were the stand-outs of that decade, like Doom, Quake, Half-Life, and Unreal. What's your favorite 90's FPS? The only ones I've played so far is Doom and Doom 2, and I use the ZDoom source port. Alsop be sure to tell the source port that you used (if any) along with that game!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67
02 Jun 2015 16:23 #2
Goldeneye 007 was a good one. Doing missions while being sneaky, blowing up stuff and trying to do it as fast as possible. Games in general are not the same as they were in the 90s, though. But Goldeneye is probably the only FPS I've ever played. I don't really play them in the first place. They're all the same, I feel.

• SourSpitballs
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Hello There
  • Thank you received: 3
02 Jun 2015 16:46 - 07 Jun 2015 06:11 #3
the only 90's fps i remember is rainbow six on playstation.
EDIT:actaully i knew much more games :
Warning: Spoiler!

Marble Blast Boyo
Last edit: 07 Jun 2015 06:11 by SourSpitballs. Reason: I thought i should add more 90s fps i knew.

• Thank you received: 401
02 Jun 2015 22:53 #4
I don't really care for 90s FPS games much, but the game I remember playing the most was 007.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalle29

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
02 Jun 2015 23:55 #5
I don't play 90s fps games, but I do like TF2 which was like from 2006ish

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Thank you received: 22
03 Jun 2015 02:18 - 03 Jun 2015 02:22 #6
I'm a big fan of FPS games from the 90s. The ones I play the most are Doom and Doom II, using the GZDoom source port for single player and Zandronum for multiplayer, although nowadays I almost always play Doom with the Project Brutality mod (a mod of a mod for Doom called Brutal Doom). Other 90s FPS games I've played are Wolfenstein 3D and first three Quake games, which I highly recommend along with Doom and Doom II. The source ports I used are DirectQ for Quake, Yamagi Quake II for Quake II and ioquake3 for Quake III Arena and Team Arena.

Although I still play quite a few modern FPS games and enjoy them, I do miss the "survival maze" level design style of 90s FPS games. I find it more fun to play and more interesting to explore than the linear style with cutscenes that many shooters have adopted nowadays, such as Call of Duty.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 02:22 by Ultra.

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
04 Jun 2015 22:37 #7
half life 1, original CS. Since I'm from 2000Era half life and it's old graphics don't bother me and game manages to deliver it's feel and mood nicely. CS, self explanatory.

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• Thank you received: 370
07 Jun 2015 00:31 #8
I am amazed nobody has mentioned the original Starsiege: Tribes (or Tribes 1, if you prefer). One of the most groundbreaking games of its time since it added the whole dynamic of "skiing" and pseudo-aerial combat.

Another game we played quite a bit was the first Team Fortress which was great for multiplayer LAN parties (back when LAN parties were a thing..)

Before Tribes I remember we played a lot of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. Some other notable favorites were (as already mentioned) Golden Eye 007 for the N64 (remember those?) and Quake for its modding capabilities (from which our fabled QuArK map creator is derived from).

Some of the underrated gems from the 90s were the Star Wars: Dark Forces series (both the first and second) were very cool and at the prime of the Star Wars hype bubble. They even used the same engine to create a really cool wild-west shooter called Outlaws (come on, isn't that the coolest game you've ever seen?)

And of course, I can't help but mention the adorably terrible game known as William Shatner's TekWar ... based on the novels by William Shatner ... and funded by .. William Shatner. It was pretty much Doom but with laser pistols that sound vaguely like the original Star Trek phasers. Pew pew.

~Aayrl

• RandomityGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • This entire place is bruh
  • Thank you received: 77
08 Jun 2015 03:23 #9
My favourite 90s FPS

1.Quake
2.Quake 2
3.Doom
4.Rise of the triads

I got only these games

Github:
github.com/RandomityGuy
Feel free to support me at ko-fi.com/randomityguy

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.720 seconds