file MB2D - New stuff

• blueteak
  • blueteak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 1
27 Dec 2013 09:56 #1
Alright, one more version of the game is now live, this wipes your local high scores because I had to change the system, but the global high scores are intact.

Even better, now if you use a different computer or something, you won't overwrite your old global highscores unless the new score is better

Added two new levels, one by RadiantVibe, and one by IsraeliRD.

Unfortunately I can't accept any more levels, as the system has changed from pictures to points (Which is much better for the future, where custom levels will be saved and sent as text JSON files (~5kb) instead of images (>1mb))

IsraeliRD's new map features a Speed Powerup, activated by the left mouse button.

Finally, there is another Marble skin that can be unlocked from one of the level's Easter-Egg.
-- Replays will use whatever marble skin you are using, couldn't change that this update, sorry.

I may have also tweaked a bit of the physics, can't remember now

Link in my Signature now

Check out my website: alvios.com/ !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
27 Dec 2013 20:05 #2
All the level tabs except Community give download errors.

• Thank you received: 10
27 Dec 2013 20:07 #3
Because they are pointing to prosurvivalkit.com....

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
27 Dec 2013 20:18 #4
Lol, there are only community levels. Happens to be the domain with the server

27 Dec 2013 20:31 #5
Question: why do all the final times tend towards increments of 2 hundredths? Rarely do I see an odd-numbered 2nd decimal.

27 Dec 2013 22:48 #6
OOPS! Sorry blueteak, I broke Claustrophobia
All I did was press r and suddenly the level complete box showed up...

My real best time should be 17.86 15.84 if it's not too hard to edit the leaderboards manually.

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
27 Dec 2013 23:27 #7
Not sure, may just be a result of even frame rate?

Edit: Lol, ya, I can changed it, but I think it will be updated incorrectly every time you try it, since the best local high-score is sent in on level complete.

Can you give me a bit more info on what happened so I can try to squish that bug?

27 Dec 2013 23:52 #8
Well that's the thing, it happened so fast that I'm not sure which specific key sequence caused it. I know it ended with me pressing r to reset. It wasn't a clean *index finger approaches the r key and lands squarely in the center*. It was a *index finger impulsively shoots toward the general area of the r key and with much luck successfully presses it*. I honestly can't remember if I was MEANING to reset or not.

I think I might have been pressing the space bar, d, e, and/or the left mouse button.

Perhaps I reset the level during the same exact frame that I hit the bouncy floor in the middle of the level? All I know is that it was a mess.

Well, it appears that the replay is still the corrupted insta-win.
Are local times stored, er, locally? Could I not delete that time on my end?

Further, when watching replays, the time usually never shows up.
Also, when I replayed Claustrophobia, it said 2x.02, but my final time showed up as 21. (the low time also got resent )

28 Dec 2013 00:09 #9
I reproduced it (accidentally, mind you. I wasn't even trying to do this. I was just playing the level normally). Has something to do with rolling (fast?), pressing the a key and resetting at the same time.

Notice the 0.08 time in the top left. If I repeatedly click Watch Replay, it shows varying times in the top left of 0.06, 0.04, and 0.02.

28 Dec 2013 00:16 #10
I have a new hypothesis!

After some resets, the marble's momentum is not fully canceled before respawn. Therefore, while I was rolling fast to the left, (the a key), I reset the level, and then there was enough residual angular acceleration to slam the marble against the start pad and bounce up into the finish.

This could very well be wrong, but I am often confused when my marble goes spinning off the right sometimes after I press r. Perhaps I really am just pressing a or d after r without knowing it, but I'm not so sure.

On second thought I'm not so sure this is it.
The physics, while I like them as they are set, can be pretty inconsistent. Rolling, bouncing, jumping (bouncy floor issue still exists). Sometimes, I can make the marble execute a jump impulse, but it will act as if the floor had no friction. This causes the marble to spin insanely fast, and on the next touch on the ground, the friction activates and it shoots to the side.

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
28 Dec 2013 04:29 #11
I think you are right, I've looked through all the reset scripts, and I don't think you can trigger a win that way, however I do know about the momentum thing, and it is very likely that you could get an upward impulse. Especially since that is the only map I have heard where it happens.

I know that the physics is still quite buggy, the woes of a pre-alpha game unfortunately. Working on fixing it all though

Scores are stored locally, but not that you can get at, since the replay is stored with the score, and it would be quite difficult to find.

But I guess that's a legit path atm, since it's not a script bugging out, but some weird physics

30 Dec 2013 09:19 #12

I just made this for the hell of it.

(also, the replays for Basic Mechanics seem to be messed up. I forgot to show it in the video. It was just a random 12 minute recording with haphazard editing.)

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
31 Dec 2013 02:26 #13
Lol, some of those bugs (especially the 'trippy background') I have never seen before. The graphics settings don't actually do anything at the moment (that's why they don't save) it's a 2D game so there's no anti-aliasing or anything going on. Nice times btw, I couldn't get anything less than 11 on Quick change with the new strat.

• Regislian
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 255
15 Jan 2014 04:22 - 15 Jan 2014 04:25 #14
First of all, that's quite a fun, but addicting game... haha.

I found a bug with the super speed: if u get it and then replay, u can use it right at the start...
Last edit: 15 Jan 2014 04:25 by Regislian.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.969 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.