file Indicators

• blueteak
  • blueteak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 1
03 Aug 2013 19:46 #1
In case you haven't seen the latest version, two things were added to the UI system for Tag and Hunt modes:

For hunt, in addition to the previously added on screen gem indicators, there are now direction pointers for off-screen gems.
Each arrow also has a color corresponding to the appropriate gem it is pointing to. (It also has resulted in me hating Trigonometry to an obscene degree...)

Also, in Tag, while you are it you gain the ability to see the position of all players within your field of view. Before it was too hard to see players from across the map, and this makes the game much more fast paced.

These are not final versions graphics wise, however they are good working versions and likely won't be changed until other things (like jumping...) are fixed.

Check out my website: alvios.com/ !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlexTheProMacGamer
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 15
03 Aug 2013 21:38 #2
Wow, nice update!

Do you think you could make the fps smoother? I got some lag (still playable, but a bit annoying).

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
03 Aug 2013 23:32 #3
Are you using low graphics settings from main menu? If you are I'll take a look and see if I can optimize some of the processes. Let me know if you get lag in the King of the Hill map, that is the least process intensive game mode by far. If you are I may need to adjust how the lowest graphics setting works so that it removes things like Post effect Anti-aliasing and Sunshafts.

• Thank you received: 2
04 Aug 2013 00:01 #4
The jumping improved in some areas and got worse in others.
Wall-riding is still a thing.

There is new GUI bug where if you pause, then click Main Menu, the GUI is unusable and there are some visual hiccups when that occurs as well.

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
04 Aug 2013 00:10 #5
Still working on fixing jumping, changed the vertical check distance (was using diameter instead of radius from center ... sigh...) and that lead to more strict jumping requirements, sometimes not triggering a valid jump command.

The GUI error is a but I am aware of that Disconnects but stops before exiting the level(you can see the Detailed information at the top left of the screen, usually stops at Peer Created) currently working on a possible fix.

• Thank you received: 31
04 Aug 2013 00:18 #6
The jumping also is bad when it comes to bouncy floor. You can jump on it to gain extra height.

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
04 Aug 2013 00:21 #7
I'm using a different approach to the bouncy floor than in MB, I think it is more interesting to scale power with speed, and because the jump and bouncy floor forces are added entirely separately, they are additive.

04 Aug 2013 02:31 #8
I honestly hope that it will be changed to be a time-based press-on-hit mechanism instead of a hold-down-and-boost mechanism because it's too easy for it. Like the Action Commands in a M&L game.

04 Aug 2013 02:58 #9
Aug 3, 2013, 7:31pm, maingi wrote:I honestly hope that it will be changed to be a time-based press-on-hit mechanism instead of a hold-down-and-boost mechanism because it's too easy for it. Like the Action Commands in a M&L game.
I can't understand this sentence.

04 Aug 2013 03:05 #10
Let me rephrase that.

I hope that the mechanics will be changed so that instead of holding it down to bounce higher, to have the right timing so that on the lowest point of the bounce (with a bit of leeway) to give the boost.

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
04 Aug 2013 03:11 #11
Jumping isn't supposed to be variable between bounces on a flat surface, so eventually there won't be a bounce higher when I've finished tweaking the system.

If you are specifically talking about the bouncy floor, I'm not sure it will work the way you envision, since if you are falling down at the angled floor, it will shoot you out at the tangent angle (+ a force at the normal angle because of jump) so you won't bounce up, instead you'll bounce out away from the surface.

04 Aug 2013 04:05 #12
Aug 3, 2013, 8:05pm, maingi wrote:Let me rephrase that.

I hope that the mechanics will be changed so that instead of holding it down to bounce higher, to have the right timing so that on the lowest point of the bounce (with a bit of leeway) to give the boost.Well these physics are still a work in progress, so all the jumping differences between this and MB are likely going away (eventually).

A comment for blueteak: I understand this is entirely your project, so ultimately you choose what happens to it, but if your purpose for the game is to be a recreation of MB, then it would be odd to have intentional tweaks to the physics, such as gyrocopter and bouncy floor mechanics.

Again, this is 100% YOU, but that's just my take. Perhaps you could have a gametype purpose-built with Blueteak's Awesome Physics as an option next to hunt, tag, KotH, etc. etc.

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
04 Aug 2013 05:00 #13
Reply posted in new topic, I don't like second pages

• Thank you received: 10
05 Aug 2013 10:09 #14
Yay!!!

Been waiting for this update since, well, since you implemented hunt mode.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.922 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.