file iOS app approved!

• blueteak
  • blueteak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 1
31 Jul 2013 08:25 #1
Completely unrelated to marble blast but awesome none the less, my first iOS application was approved and put on the app store!

It's 99 cents, but check it out if you want

itunes.apple.com/us/app/traject/id673462126?ls=1&mt=8

Check out my website: alvios.com/ !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
31 Jul 2013 21:17 #2
Who wrote that Survival Pack app?

This looks neat, I might send 70¢ (or 69?) your way.

How exactly do you play?

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
31 Jul 2013 21:33 #3
Hah, the survival pack app my dad wrote on a bet that we mad (I said he couldn't do it in a week, and so he did...) but I'm currently in the process of rewriting in in a more update-friendly manner.

To play Traject, you simply flick the satellite where you want it to go (starting from anywhere on the screen) and let gravity do the rest. The goal is to get all the power cores, and if you're good, the bonus components as well

31 Jul 2013 21:41 #4
Aight I got the app. I have quite a bit of spare iTunes credit, and iTunes credit is taxless, so I'm saving quite a lot more than 99¢ over the long run.

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
31 Jul 2013 22:08 #5
I hope you like it!

31 Jul 2013 23:34 #6
Haha I'm already stuck on the 4th level, but I'm happy that it's not an easy game

One comment about the sound. I have noticed this phenomenon in multiple apps before, so I assume it is not entirely deliberate but just a result of constructing the app a certain way.
The sound will not play through the speakers unless the hardware silent/vibrate toggle is switched off. I use my phone in a constant state of silent/vibrate. But I can still listen to music/videos through the speakers without toggling the switch.

iOS volume control is confusing af as it is, what with 5 separate volumes we must keep track of:
1) Standard speaker volume. Applies to regular app sound, like music, videos, game sound/music.
2) Headphone volume. Same as above except for the headphones.
3) Ringer and Alerts volume. Applies to system sounds such as lock SFX, keyboard taps, notification sounds, and ringers used for calls, alarms, timers, etc.
4) Speaker Siri volume. Applies to Siri w/o headphones and I think VoiceOver.
5) Headphones Siri volume. Same as above but for headphones.

The added bit of silent/vibrate toggle makes it all even more confusing.
It basically only affects:
Ringer and Alerts volume,
Speaker-side only when dealing with Ringing,
Alerts/SFX play through the headphones only (if applicable), so the toggle will silent them everywhere,
Alarms just don't give a (!) and play on BOTH speakers AND headphones no matter what the switch is set to.

Here's another summary: www.macworld.com/article/2030115/how-to-...e-volume-in-ios.html

So the volume in your game is currently behaving like an phone ring in the volume family #3, Ringer and Alerts volume AND an alert (without headphones). It exhibits partial behaviors of both: toggle affects speaker volume like phone ring or alert with no headphones, but once headphones are plugged in, the toggle has no effect as with a phone ring.
HOWEVER, the volume LEVEL that affects the game sound is determined by either #1 or #2 depending on whether headphones are plugged in. So it uses standard game volume levels, but it behaves like a strange ringer/alert.

Again, this is 100% NOT unique to your app. My dad was using a non-game app on his phone one time and he (and I after I looked at it) thought that his speakers had died on him. Turns out we had to unmute his phone for the sound to play without headphones.

In any case, I have no idea what developmental process leads to sound handling like this.
I also wonder if this is mostly Apple's fault for leading devs into causing this peculiar effect.

Do you think you can modify how your game's sound is presented to the OS? Like make it go through the music pipe instead of the system sound pipe?

All that gibberish about sound and volumes is actually aimed a lot at ME just so I can personally understand how my phone works better, so don't be intimidated by it

• blueteak
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
01 Aug 2013 00:24 #7
Wow Sporlo, thanks for the info. A friend of mine mentioned the same thing, though much less articulately, now with all this info I will hopefully be able to fix it without much hassle. I'll try to get it into the first update.

Also, the three star solutions are quite hard for some of these levels (see lvl 7...) but I'm glad you are enjoying it, for info's sake, mind telling me what type of device you are running?

01 Aug 2013 01:07 #8
iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3)

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.815 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.