file Dom's Scripted TASes

• DomTurchi
  • DomTurchi's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 14
23 Sep 2020 22:52 - 10 Nov 2020 06:17 #1
Hello All,

I've been recommended by a couple people to better archive the scripted TASes I've been working on, and so this thread has been created as an outlet to do as such. Here, I will post all of my TASes that are scripted by HiGuy's tool. Some general information first:

- The game registers 1/65535 distinct camera angles, though its not necessarily human possible to physically move the camera to these positions nor does the game visually show all of these camera angles. All the camera angles are sharp turns as this maximizes acceleration in a given direction, but is obviously not humanly possible.
- A few of these TAS'es utilize rolling from one input to another. The game accelerates each direction independently, and at times it is minutely optimal to press one key a few frames before another to manipulate spin.
- A couple new starts have been 'found' due to these TASes including what I like to call the KallePerks tweak. It is faster on many of these stages to roll after the Natural Bounce in the Kalle tweak (similar to the hPerks tweak) to maximize acceleration before continuously jumping.

Now for the a little nitty gritty. This first post has been updated to include all beginner level information. Recs/scripts are attached and a link to the compilation is included at the bottom.

Learning to Roll (2.249): This was actually the last of the trio that I did, and is the simplest one. It is a single camera turn a couple frames after the jump that allows me manipulate spin with the shortest path to the edge as possible. I believe the slightly altered rotation causes a less aggressive trim edge hit, so I get more speed and land in the finish before actually bouncing. Floating point rounding caused me to need to make a second version for Mac.

Collect The Gems (8.428): An optimization of Cobalt's Rewind TAS (8.467) which uses an alternate edge hit path. The auto-start is still necessary and the turn for the two quick edge hits is very tight. I found jumping these gave me the best results, however, it made collecting gems 1 & 2 very difficult as I was fighting a lot of momentum. Because of that, there are some harsh camera turns to optimize the speed of these grabs and still be in position for gem 3. The jump at the end only saves .001 but usually saves nothing plus it's very easy to lose a ton jumping early. For some reason, gem 6 is not grabbed on Mac, so a separate Mac version is attached.

Jump Training (3.611): Originally a 3.633 by optimizing m@s's WRR5 PB. DKman00 got a 3.636 the night of the reveal with a no-roll strat which, after dissecting his PB, was utilized in this TAS. The double jump trim hit is extremely precise and saves about .01.

Learn the Super Jump (2.881): Gonna come clean... basically not my TAS. Nature Freak gave me his TAS which is an incredibly elegant small single camera turn. All I did to speed things up was clean up the script, saved 1ms with a slightly different camera angle and found that manipulating IC at the end saved 1ms.

Platform Training (5.705): Xelna's PB is insane. Enough said. I tried everything to bring this down further but the balance between gaining enough speed to jump the gap but not be too fast to hop of the platform complicated things. The second hop on the platform was always faster for unknown reasons. A TAS only .004 is saved by back-spinning before the jump to maximize forward spin the rest of the run.

Learn the Super Speed (2.738): I originally TASed a 2.749 using the RTA route, but Xelna wanted me to try out some finish sign edge hits and it ended up working! The idea is to basically not slow down at all, but in practice I had to slow down 12 ms with specific camera angles to hit the tip of the finish sign. Just the tip. You also want to hit it in a sort of angle as getting hit straight down is .02 slower for some reason. This TAS looks a bits weird as the 1f flick to activate the super speed doesnt register even on Matan's 120fps recordings. There is a separate version of this TAS for Mac.

Elevator (3.558): The 3.559 by DKman00 and Xelna are probably the human limit. This TAS saves a mere .001 by jumping ~10ms earlier and rolling > into ^> to curve around the edge into the finish. This is possible on a very specific slightly left camera and has an extremely tight window. A lot of various starts were tested, but the frame perfect jump ended up being ideal as the platform trigger is simply a plane around the trap, and the fastest forward velocity is achieved with this start.

Air Movement (2.917): Another TAS that I borrowed from Nature Freak, but this one I found a sizeable improvement. By hitting the sign a little more to the right, the resulting edge hit pushes the marble slightly more out and to the right. This allows for earlier backspin, and this faster turn around is needed in order to fall into the finish without bouncing, but you do need to turn the camera slightly to do so.

Gyrocopter (2.717): This start is interesting as there was an ever so slightly longer delay on when WASD is released for the start pad trick. This slightly slower start for some reason caused the marble to fall a bit more steeply, so I was able to activate the gyrocopter slightly earlier.

Time Trial (2.155): This TAS is what caused me to discover the KallePerks tweak. By delaying the roll after the NB, it is possible to not need any IC or camera shenanigans to get the Time Stop earlier.

Super Bounce (2.873): This is mostly an optimized camera angle to maximize the time rolling. Similar to Gyrocopter, it was faster to slightly delay when to let go of WASD for the start pad trick because the bounce into the finish registered ever so slightly earlier.

Gravity Helix (5.042): A new start discovered by Doomblah and optimized in this TAS. The rest of the stage is essentially just 2 camera angle changes (one right into Gravity Switch 1 and another just after the bounce after exiting Gravity Switch 2) with a tiny not humanly possible one shorter after the second camera turn that saved an additional .001 under very specific conditions.

Shock Absorber (2.871): This was my first ever TAS and started it all. It uses Regi's delayed start which is optimized by actually bouncing a little after go, thus maximizing how late we can start the spin and just barely clear the first edge. In additional, the rolling between directions in employed twice: once at the start and the next on the turnaround. At the start, the TAS rolls < into <^ with a mere 12ms delay between inputs, but this was necessary to optimize the turnaround where the opposite > into v> occurs. There is no releasing of WASD at all throughout this TAS, rather, exploiting the fact that directions accelerate independently to curve around the two edges and maximizing velocity for the bounce into the finish.

There and Back Again (7.623): This is another one that I could not have done without Nature Freak. I spent hours trying to figure out how to get the sign hit and couldnt find anything, then got access to his script and still barely improved anything at all. Eventually I found that by holding <^ just before the first sign hit, you can turn the camera and back spin later and thus hit the first sign with more speed. I feel like this is TAS only though... There is a separate MAC version for this TAS.

Marble Materials Lab (4.362): This TAS Nature Freak and I did separately, but came to the same conclusions. The slope jump is frame perfect and requires IC manipulation to nearly 30fps in order to reduce the height of the jump and catch the last two gems. I ended up saving 1ms over Nature Freaks TAS due to a camera perfect angle into the finish. This TAS is probably maxed.

Bumper Training (2.253): Similar to Learning to Roll, but the slope isnt as sunk into the ground. As a result, not only is there a slight turn at the start, but also a slight turn right after the edge hit for maximum speed.

Breezeway (2.477): Apparently, the Kalle tweak is possible after a slight roll after the NB. You need very precise camera turns to hit the sign post but not the sign itself. Even more precision and you can quickly jump after the sign post and save a ton of time. Unfortunately, the fans cause the TAS to desync with slower times (or outright fail) on lower frame rates. On my 160fps iMac, I had a 50% success rate, and on the successes saw a lot of 2.481. Because this is an issue related to frame rate when playing back recs rather than the OS, I did not bother attaching other versions.

Mine Field (2.187): Credit goes to Nature Freak for this TAS. It is 99% his work, but his TAS did not work on Windows. While trying to stabilize his TAS for Windows, I found a slight tweak where I moved the time he turned the camera to just before the edge hit, stabilizing the TAS to work on both Mac and Windows and saving .001. I'm not sure if this humanly possible, but the idea is to have a slighty left camera angle as you can delay the jump every so slightly later since the corners of the pad stick out a bit more, and then turn the camera at the latest possible moment to steer the marble into the edge hit.

Trapdoors! (2.177): TT2.0. Nothing different other than subtle changes in the start pad trick and KallePerks tweak.

Tornado Bowl (1.445): The Time Travel in this is super weird... the hit box makes no sense. Grabbing this optimally made it basically impossible to get up and over the slope for the second TT, so I ended up finding an alternative path that also skips the third TT. Its all basically swag though. There is a separate version of this TAS for Mac.

Pitfalls (9.814 Win/9.815 Mac): The TAS I am probably most proud of for this bunch. Cobalt's start for his rewind TAS was basically perfect, and his jump pattern is absolutely necessary to get the right edge hits. I spent hours tweaking this to get the lowest jump I could in the right angle such that the edge hit at the pit is as fast as possible. The second half of the level is a tweak I came up with where instead of jumping low and keeping speed after the wall jump, I stay high and get a forward edge hit on a pit. As a player, you should be fine to the finish, but the TAS goes so fast that it jumps the first frame after it clears the pit and was running into the front of the pit at the end. Because of that, I needed to turn the camera and get another side edge hit on the last pit to be sent directly to the center of the finish pad. The Mac version is .001 slower as I started getting tired of making Mac versions by this point...

Platform Party (6.291 Win/6.292 Mac): So what is going on - well a few things are certains. For starters, it is most likely impossible to bullet to the finish as the trajectory simply never sends the marble directly to the finish pad. Because of that, locked frame rate was emulated to slow things down a little. Traplaunches are also highly variable, but I did recognize patterns after spending dozens of hours chipping away at this TAS. For starters, the launch itself is completely position-based and typically sets in place the xy position and initial speed. IC then slows the speed which in turn affects the z axis. If the launch is too fast, it becomes impossible to manipulate the marble with camera, so it's important that the IC slows the marble down enough that you can still curve into the finish, but fast enough to get up to the platform and get the fastest time. 64fps seemed to hit that sweet spot.

IC was, for the most part, very close to 64 fps. This launch is most likely not possible though as the final frame during the squeeze is 11ms which I do not believe occurs at 64 FPS. That's not say that this trajectory is impossible, but the way I did it in the TAS is mostly likely not realistically possible. It might be possible to go slightly faster than this launch, but I know that even slightly faster speeds dramatically reduced my ability to use camera turn to influence direction. This would mean that I would need extremely aggressive camera turns which usually mean much slower times, but if you launched even closer to the platform then you'd need less camera turn and thus save more time. So it is tough to say if this is improvable and by how much, but finding a launch that works at all is a needle in a haystack. That can a project for someone else...

Winding Road (9.497 Win/9.498 Mac): The start of this is a bit different than the start of Pitfalls as you need to have a different angle for the second edge hit. I did experiment with jumping after the second edge hit but its slower, most likely because you come to a near complete stop. The resulting friction of needing to speed up again was a .06 time loss. There is no Mac version as the rec should play on Mac but be .001 slower.

Grand Finale (27.729): I could write a thesis on this level... Xelna knew that sub 28 was possible so I put 10 days into this TAS. I spent 5 days trying to look for possible moving platform skips and nothing worked, so by day 6 I was trying to figure out how to optimize the moving platform jump. Cobalt and I both came to the same conclusion to do an edge hit, however, my TAS was going so fast that I could not jump off the platform like in Xelna's PB. The result was spending about 4 days tweaking the momentum and angle of the gyro activation wall hit, then the momentum and location of the gem 5 bounce. Whats going on is that I purposely delay the activation of the Gyro until after the wall hit. This sets up the moving platform timing but also causes the marble to travel up more slowly. I grab gem 4 much later, and then wall hit much higher. This is necessary for a higher bounce after you fall from the gyro ending.

The magic really happens after the bounce. I optimized the velocity and camera angle of this bounce such that I don't land on the gem 5, but bounce into gem 5, ramp matrix gem 6, and fall into the MP edge hit which just so happens to hit me at the exact angle that sends me to gem 7. Because of that, the camera turn after the edge hit is basically perfect, maximizing the velocity towards gem 7 and needing only a slight turn to get the right jump location over the pit to gem 8. Gem 7 is a frame perfect catch where if my momentum is built even 1ms longer I'd jump over it. The ending was actually pretty easy to fine tune since all of this is so delicate than changing basically anything breaks the rec. There is no Mac version of this TAS as it breaks right at the bounce, and I cannot be asked to spend 4 days fine tuning a separate Mac version.

Link to Matan's Youtube video of the compilation:
[TAS] Marble Blast Gold - Beginner Levels by DomTurchi in 2:03.600
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Nov 2020 06:17 by DomTurchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Regislian, NF, Doomblah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DomTurchi
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
26 Sep 2020 19:26 - 26 Sep 2020 19:32 #2
First update and boy is it a big one... Platform Party!

This is probably the beginner level with the most room for improvement by TAS (minus maybe Grand Finale??), and a large improvement this was. This TAS is a bit different in that IC needs to be manipulated to make the launch possible, so there is a Windows and Mac version that are fortunately very similar in time. The final time for this TAS is 6.291 Win/6.292 Mac!!

So what is going on - well a few things are certains. For starters, it is most likely impossible to bullet to the finish as the trajectory simply never sends the marble directly to the finish pad. Because of that, locked frame rate was emulated to slow things down a little. Traplaunches are also highly variable, but I did recognize patterns after spending dozens of hours chipping away at this TAS. For starters, the launch itself is completely position-based and typically sets in place the xy position and initial speed. IC then slows the speed which in turn affects the z axis. If the launch is too fast, it becomes impossible to manipulate the marble with camera, so it's important that the IC slows the marble down enough that you can still curve into the finish, but fast enough to get up to the platform and get the fastest time. 64fps seemed to hit that sweet spot.

IC was, for the most part, very close to 64 fps. This launch is most likely not possible though as the final frame during the squeeze is 11ms which I do not believe occurs at 64 FPS. That's not say that this trajectory is impossible, but the way I did it in the TAS is mostly likely not realistically possible. It might be possible to go slightly faster than this launch, but I know that even slightly faster speeds dramatically reduced my ability to use camera turn to influence direction. This would mean that I would need extremely aggressive camera turns which usually mean much slower times, but if you launched even closer to the platform then you'd need less camera turn and thus save more time. So it is tough to say if this is improvable and by how much, but finding a launch that works at all is a needle in a haystack. That can a project for someone else...
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Sep 2020 19:32 by DomTurchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

• DomTurchi
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
06 Oct 2020 22:07 - 08 Oct 2020 03:40 #3
Another pack of scripted TASes!

Collect The Gems (8.428) - An optimization of Cobalt's Rewind TAS (8.467) which uses an alternate edge hit path. The auto-start is still necessary and the turn for the two quick edge hits is very tight. I found jumping these gave me the best results, however, it made collecting gems 1 & 2 very difficult as I was fighting a lot of momentum. Because of that, there are some harsh camera turns to optimize the speed of these grabs and still be in position for gem 3.
The jump at the end only saves .001 but usually saves nothing plus it's very easy to lose a ton jumping early. For some reason, gem 6 is not grabbed on Mac, so a separate Mac version is attached.

Jump Training (3.611) - Originally a 3.633 by optimizing m@s's WRR5 PB. DKman00 got a 3.636 the night of the reveal with a no-roll strat which, after dissecting his PB, was utilized in this TAS. The double jump trim hit is extremely precise and saves about .01.

Platform Training (5.705) - Xelna's PB is insane. Enough said. I tried everything to bring this down further but the balance between gaining enough speed to jump the gap but not be too fast to hop of the platform complicated things. The second hop on the platform was always faster for unknown reasons. A TAS only .004 is saved by back-spinning before the jump to maximize forward spin the rest of the run.

Breezeway (2.477) - Apparently, the Kalle tweak is possible after a slight roll after the NB. You need very precise camera turns to hit the sign post but not the sign itself. Even more precision and you can quickly jump after the sign post and save a ton of time. Unfortunately, the fans cause the TAS to desync with slower times (or outright fail) on lower frame rates. On my 160fps iMac, I had a 50% success rate, and on the successes saw a lot of 2.481. Because this is an issue related to frame rate when playing back recs rather than the OS, I did not bother attaching other versions.

Next will be a "Learning" pack!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2020 03:40 by DomTurchi.

• DomTurchi
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
09 Nov 2020 19:38 - 09 Nov 2020 22:41 #4
Hi All,

I'm finally updating this thread now that the MBG Beginner levels are done and the compilation released. This one is a bit different in that I've updated the first post with all the information for ease of access. Cheers!
Last edit: 09 Nov 2020 22:41 by DomTurchi.

• DomTurchi
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
25 Nov 2020 23:07 - 27 Nov 2020 03:49 #5
Battlements (3.466): Gate Trap has been realized.

The attached REC should work at locked fps, but may take a few tries. This TAS explanation is going to be a bit longer since this has been a mythological theory route that has finally got a rec that works in vanilla MBG.

What is going on in the TAS?
It's surprisingly simple. I did what Xelna did in his attempts and eventually found a camera position that worked that caused me to bounce off the bottom of the ending curve and into an edge hit. From there it was tweaking a secondary camera turn to be able to go over the ending curve while not going too high at the finish. There is some IC manipulation, but I do not think any of it is necessary based on the fact Nockess successfully made a Rewind TAS and Xelna came close to accomplishing this RTA. The IC manipulation did allow me to shave off some tens of milliseconds, however.

Is this possible RTA?
I believe it is, however, this route requires a pretty high frame rate to get the speed to bounce off 3 surfaces. The most important thing is that you absolutely 100% will need to use third party software to lock your fps at higher frame rates, otherwise your rec could possibly never sync again. Trapdoors seem to be affected by the FPS at the time of playback, while your velocity in the rec is fixed. This can cause dramatically different results on each playback if your fps is fluctuating. The TAS runs at 1000fps (mostly) but abuses the locked frame rate to keep the fps consistently. This allows me to create a rec that anybody on windows can see fairly consistently. This is impossible RTA due to needing higher frame rates, so a third party frame rate locker will be necessary to be able to consistently view your rec.

Can this go faster?
Probably, but tough to say how much. I am fairly confident that a forward gate trap is the fastest possible route, but there are some alternatives. Xelna's near completion did not bounce off the ending curve like this TAS, and Nockess' Rewind successful completed the same route but it was a good bit slower. It's tough to say if this would be faster since the launch speed probably needs to be slower due to the angle coming into the edge hit. Another alternative is a straight shot, which might be possible but would required a slower frame rate where the marble drops into the finish. It's tough to say what kind of time is achievable or if it is even possible.
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Nov 2020 03:49 by DomTurchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

• DomTurchi
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
24 Mar 2021 20:32 #6
Hello Ball Blasters - it's been a while! And in this absence, I have been hard at work... completely finishing all the intermediate TASes! Matan has already finished the compilation, and, instead of typing out all the little tweaks and stuff, I have created a voice over breakdown video of all the fun little tweaks found by various people.

As usual, the recs and scripts for attached via a zip file. Sorry Doomblah and Nature Freak... no Mac versions this time! :(
Link to the rampage on Matan's channel:

Link to bloopers here: Soon
Link to the analysis on my channel:

Jump Jump Jump (2.321)
Monster Speedway Qualifying (13.112)
Skate Park (17.301)
Ramp Matrix (17.410)
Hoops (8.209)
Go for the Green (3.253)
Fork in the Road (3.790)
Tri Twist (18.892)
Marbletris (4.603)
Space Slide (3.360)
Skee Ball Bonus (2.871)
Marble Playground (26.211)
Hop Skip and a Jump (7.437)
Take the High Road (5.748)
Half-Pipe (3.614)
Gauntlet (8.303)
Moto-Marblecross (1.886)
Shock Drop (4.133
Spork in the Road (8.747)
Great Divide (14.823)
The Wave (5.389)
Tornado Alley (2.686)
Monster Speedway (3.485)
Upward Spiral (8.695)

Total TAS Time 196.279
Total WRR5 Time 211.873
Time Saved 15.594
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blasted, NF, Nockess

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
24 Mar 2021 20:49 #7
blast my balls babee, that shit was wetting my pants territory

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
The following user(s) said Thank You: DomTurchi, azful

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.110 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.