file https://marbleblast.com/Trying to getting Linux Marble Blast Gold 1.4.1 running.

• marblin
  • marblin's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
More
23 Jan 2023 21:34 #1 by marblin
Hi all,
I used to play MBG 1.4.1 on Linux. I recently was going through my old files and found the Linux installer, which otherwise seems lost ?

I realise it Wine is probably a better way to Marble Blast these days, but I'd like to get it working anyway.

The first thing I'd like to do is verify it works; this is a bit tricky due to it being 32 bit, as well as older versions of some libraries.

I had a quick go on 64 bit Ubuntu, using `linux32` and sdl-1.2-debian, on launching I get

'Failed to open "main.cs"' any ideas on which packages might be missing ?

As a secondary prong, what is the newest 32 bit disto this should work on (preferably ubuntu) ?

I can get this working in a VM to start with, then work out the shims etc needed in 64 bit + document them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2023 16:32 #2 by HamishWilson
> As a secondary prong, what is the newest 32 bit disto this should work on (preferably ubuntu) ?

It looks like it ran fine with Ubuntu 10.10 at the very least. I would post a link to the forum thread I found but the spam filter is blocking it, so just Google "Installing Marble Blast Gold in 10.10 64-bit Ubuntu Forums" to see what I mean.

I am actually coming at this problem from the other end. I have an older Pentium III computer I have been using to play old Linux games on and recently discovered that the Marble Blast Gold demo runs rather well on the hardware.

Only problem is I never had the opportunity to purchase the game from GarageGames back in the day, and since the Linux version was never sold physically, it looks impossible to pick up second hand. :dry:

• marblin
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
More
27 Jan 2023 20:23 #3 by marblin
I'd like to upload my copy here to be archived with the others on the site.

• marblin
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
More
30 Jan 2023 00:26 #4 by marblin
Got gnome boxes to cooperate and installed 32 bit debian.

It gets stuck at the screen trying to contact the registration server - fair enough.

I wonder if it's possible to substitute some (or even all ?) of the cs files that make the game run, from the "non ignition" version to get it running.
Attachments:

Moderators: DoomblahGo'way