file Top 20 Favorite MBP Custom Levels

• Buzzmusic
  • Buzzmusic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • I make levels and songs.
  • Thank you received: 145
18 Jul 2014 14:44 - 18 Jul 2014 14:48 #1
A long time ago, I made a list of my top 10 favorite custom levels. That list was a bit incomplete, confusingly subjective and objective at the same time, annoying (with all the caps and exclamation points) and in general not very well written. So, I decided to rethink what my favorite custom levels are. Make a better list, that is. This time, rather than relying on memory, I searched through almost every single MBP custom level I played by looking through Marble Blast folders on both computers. Why not MBG? Well, that would be more about looking through the whole MBG CLA, which I wouldn't have the patience to do. Anyway, I found the twenty levels that I enjoy playing the most. This is only a subjective list. If it was objective, it would be way harder to really gather my thoughts and provide a coherent view on the art of MBP custom level building. So with that said, let's dive right into it!

20. Structural Swirl - Phil
Rather than being a cluster of small challenges wrapped in a box kind of shape, the level uses the varying scale of challenges to create picturesque asymmetry. Although the uniquely structural scenery might look a bit cramped, there's actually a lot of speed involved which give the level the "swirl" the title refers to.

19. Planar Plaza - Oaky
In addition to the interesting flat style, the level surprisingly carries a lot of variety, as well as some dimension with the inclusion of Gravity Defiers. Perhaps it's the lack of scenery above the level that makes the occasional flying seem even more magical.

18. Crossways - Ultrablast
The structural concept of this level gives it a tone of free castle exploration. Though I don't mean exploration in a literal sense; the level's still linear. But I don't need any sort of confusing pathfinding. I'm content to just zoom through the walls and bounce up to the finish.

17. Time Modifier Collect-a-Thon - Threefolder
Maybe it's the skybox or the color palette, but there's something very majestic about falling in this level. I mean, what's more satisfying than keeping the timer at zero by skillshotting to a Time Modifier, then another, and another until you get to the downward staircase at the end and dash to the finish?

16. Instinct - Andrew
One reason I generally like long levels is because when I beat short easy levels, I don't feel like I accomplished much. Long levels, however, are satisfying to beat and satisfying to return to for a lower time. I like the variety in Instinct as well as the structure, but it's not without its slightly frustrating moments, and over time the rainbow palette make the level a bit lacking in an overall visual theme. But that's a nitpick.

15. Framework - Oaky
Perhaps it's the consistent and unique visual style that makes the gameplay stand out a bit more. The gameplay itself ranges from tight and meticulous to huge and vertical. The Time Modifiers aren't as worthwhile, but I like the length a bit more here, and that's really what counts.

14. Jewel Jubilee - Perishingflames
This is one of the few levels I enjoy finding a path for. It's at that size and time limit where I naturally develop a strategy just by playing it more. It's also at a very comfortable difficulty and level of openness that suits hunting for gems, for me at least.

13. Rush! - Nathan
I love the way this feels like a semi-Rube-Goldberg-machine with quick no-delay-teleporters. It's like a short replayable skill-tester just without any frustration, and a RGM just without the fear of it not working and the cheapness of not finishing it yourself. And that satisfying final push and bounce to the finish makes me want to hug this level.

12. MLG Project - Hoop de Loop - Jimmy Ben Klieve
In case you're wondering, no, I haven't finished this level (which doesn't stop me from trying). Despite this not being made in the LE, the openness and scale of everything gives it the exact same feeling I get when playing MBG LE speed levels. Also, I rarely see a "play the level on both sides" thing done with such a fast and big level, and done with the upside-down part being brighter. That was genius.

11. Think Fast - Henry
I feel like the MBP scenery formula has been done to death by now. Phil-like wooden structures won't save your level at this point, but the kind of creepy lighting, neon to wood to concrete, closed structures, red sky thing that Henry does, might. Of all the atmospheric and insanely mysterious levels by Henry, this one is on the list mostly because I can finish it. I know I just implied that I accept levels that I can't finish, but with all the other crazy and dark Henry levels, I can't even get close.

Now for the top 10…

10. Collection Kings - Leaf
Frankly, I just don't have the patience to sit down and create paths for most levels. Thus, I don't think of huge levels like Collection Kings as opportunities to find paths. I think of them as diamond hunts; playgrounds for me to explore at my own pace. So the huge collect-the-diamonds levels I like the most are the ones that keep me awake the most, with lots of intimidation but no frustration. In Collection Kings, the visuals are so pleasing and the amount of diamonds is so high, that for me it's perfectly magical and simultaneously daunting. I don't get this kind of satisfaction in many other levels.

9. The Icerace - Otto
Majestic, exciting, flowing, scenic, gorgeous, I love this thing. What a breath of fresh air compared to the conventional structures of Marble Blast levels. Really, a level doesn't have to be a skill course with originality sprinkled throughout. I mean, you can be completely amazing with those (as we'll see later in the list), but just be brave and make an ice slope with some trees. Make it scenic and it'll work. I typically prefer a level that has an original concept, rather than a boringly regular level with a few creative challenges. Just do something like The Icerace. They aren't too hard to make.

8. A Day at the Links - Andrew
I have a tiny pinch of nostalgia for this one because of that video Imperial made with the inspirational song. I used to think this was one of the best levels ever, and for me it still is. It has its frustration, but I think with the scenery, it all works out. You know, the word "scenery" is a bit disliked among the community. I've seen many people say that the gameplay is more important, and don't get me wrong, I agree, but if a level at least has a decent set of challenges, the scenery can play a huge role in my overall feeling while playing a level. In this case, I already could gladly replay A Day at the Links without the charming flowers or ice/sand/grass variety, but the scenery keeps me moving forward.

7. Marble Mosaic - Andrew & Phil
This is what I meant earlier about long levels. I don't know if I'll get 10 minutes or 7 minutes or 5 minutes, and each time I beat this monster, I feel super accomplished. A lot of people hated the scarcity in checkpoints, and I hated it so much too. At first. Then I played the level a bunch of times until I didn't need checkpoints. Then the level became an endurance round. It has flow to it, it's compact enough to not get boring but stretched enough to not feel too cramped, it has nice Time Modifiers, and it's so huge that I feel great for getting even halfway through it.

6. Camp 2 - Moshe
I'm not a huge fan of Camp. Watch this video to see why. But in Camp 2, the main problem of the level not fitting its target audience is gone, and what's left is an enjoyably creative set of challenging trials. Considering how tight the challenges were in Camp, it's surprising that there's a great sense of speed and verticality in Camp 2 with a lot of intensity once it reaches the rhythm sections. I'm sure it was harder to make Camp have such a square overall structure, but on a measure of fun factor, I enjoy the sense of progression in Camp 2 a lot more. Moshe at his finest.

Now for the top 5!

5. No Jumping II - Oaky
This is an entirely subjective list, so I don't care if this level got ten out of ten from everyone else. I'm just judging how much I enjoy it. With that said, what a masterpiece of variety and consistent challenge this one is. This level doesn't go for any sort of boring hop-to-the-next-platform challenge. It's got everything from friction to racetracks to invisible floors to moving mazes to bouncing to the finish. It's extremely fresh and satisfying at the very end, and light on the frustration. It's not higher on the list because I tend to like a less cramped feeling while playing a level. This one is a bit closed in, which made me almost want to move it way lower on the list. But no, I couldn't do that. It's actually a really fun level.

4. Skill Course 3: MBP - Phil
Yes, I know I said a level doesn't have to be just a skill-course with little creativity sprinkled throughout, and then I proceeded to include a bunch of levels that do just that, but I also said that it can be completely amazing, and this one sure is. It's a forest of scenery pillars with just the right amount of blank space to feel open, and just the right amount of complex scenery to feel adventurous. The challenges have a flow to them that Phil always seems to nail perfectly. Everything goes into each other with enough difficulty to feel satisfying and enough ease to feel comfortable. That's the magic of Phil.

3. MLG Project - Icy River Rafting - Jimmy Ben Klieve
You might wanna play this one to really get the experience. With that said, what an intense, exciting, satisfying thing this is. It's like what Ski Slopes was trying to be, but with a seamless progression of difficulty that few levels match. The slopes have an unpredictable feel to them that makes every turn a surprise. And just when I fall and think that I was almost at the end, I see the rest of the level and I'm glad there's so much more for me to dive into. It really is the fact that you don't get to rest on a flat platform that makes this smooth progression of difficulty really count. And I don't even have to finish this level to get the real satisfaction. I just need to play any part of it.

2. Skyebird's Trail - Aaryl, Cawdude, Matan, Leaf, Eguee, Phil, Perishingflames, ShadowMarbler, & Oaky
One of the best things about community group levels is that there's not just variety in the challenges, not just variety in the friction, powerups, speed, etc., but variety in the style. This is because every level builder has a different view on what makes a level good, and exploring those realms is incredibly enjoyable for me. I never get tired of this level. It has everything. It's long enough to make me feel accomplished, but it has tons of checkpoints and not too much unfair difficulty. I like the lack of scenery, because although I also like the style of going through a complicated structure, there's a sense of progression and freedom in this huge level. Once you're near the end, you can look back on everything you've done. And then it's topped off with a complicated and fun section from Oaky, like a final boss. A very rewarding and beautiful final boss. I love the backstory too, and I think there's pretty much no better way to dedicated a level to someone than with this masterpiece.

Before we get to number 1, let's look at some honorable mentions.

Reuse - Phil
Structurally original and fun, but a bit short for my tastes.

Snail Course - Steven
One of the most gorgeous levels in Marble Blast, but could've used more flow.

Curve Crossover - Phil
Smooth and official in its tone, but again, a bit short and unrewarding.

Rapid Acceleration - Oaky
Full of speed and wonder, but not Oaky's most flowing or satisfying level.

Conquer the Heavens - Perishingflames
The simplicity is admirable, until it starts to work against the level.

Also here's an honorable mention to Pablo, who is truly one of Marble Blast's greatest level builders. I considered a lot of his levels for this list, but unfortunately, none of them made it. He was up against some serious competition.

And my favorite Marble Blast Platinum custom level is…

1. Choco Valley - Phil
This is the epitome of Phil's ability to give a level a perfect flow. To be honest, that's the main reason this is my favorite level ever. It doesn't have to be creative, challenging, terribly long, dark and mysterious, or anything like that. It's a skill course with consistent difficulty, simple jumping challenges, the perfect length, and breathtaking visuals. That's all I need, a level that I can play with just the right amount of control. There's no frustration, nothing pretentious, it's just wonderful. This is another case of presentation helping a level go from good to amazing. At its core, Choco Valley is a regular skill-course, wonderfully executed, but regular. The scenery lifts it to something more than that, and I can easily remember this experience because of the unique mood presented. By now, I've played it so much that I can play without thinking too hard about it. In this case, that's a great thing. I bounce around and have a blast with nothing interrupting my journey. Unlike a lot of levels on this list where the originality of the gameplay plays a big role, this one is just the most fun I could every hope for in Marble Blast, and I love every second of it.

All posts from my account that were made before July 29 2013 are from the point of view of my dad unless it states otherwise.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 14:48 by Buzzmusic. Reason: Misspelled a name

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
19 Jul 2014 02:05 #2
Wow... Seriously big names on there! I used to play Icerace a lot, and it was one of the less known levels. I'll try to think up my own list. (Expect a few of your levels, Buzz.) My choices may not be the best, but they will be ones I really like, anyway.

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014

• Thank you received: 16
20 Jul 2014 14:53 - 20 Jul 2014 14:53 #3
Here a few level I enjoy most

Ludicrous Terrain by Ultrablast
Just a fun level

Speed twist 2 by Pokko
this is the one with the pink skybox, with lots of grass (not the blue one!)
I really like the replayability of this level, and the skill balance

A cube level by Nihahhat I've misplaced
Green level... Can't find it anywhere had it on my old comp
This level has a general ease of playability that makes it really fun to do. It fits into that hard-to-find these days of just harder than beginner.
Also quite a few unique challanges

Red Rampage by Rokoshu
A generaly fantastic level with a nice amount of curves, scenery and fun challenges. Also the potential for shortcuts makes this level awesome.

Shift by Brixiar
I found this level finally in the CGL, and I missed it! I like this level for it's repetition which is enough to ease playing but not enough to be boring. Great layout too, if I fall off I generally land on another part of the level.

No order of placing in this post, just a few levels I like.

I must admit though, you are right about Choco Valley

i have a flickr
Last edit: 20 Jul 2014 14:53 by elnathan.

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
26 Jul 2014 15:53 #4
With a Antarctica-style skybox, one of my favorite levels is Dangerous Christmas by Steven. The way it's made is still fantastic.

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

• Thank you received: 0
28 Jul 2014 09:21 #5
Some of my favorites not on the list are

CGL 8 master of friction,
the 'doors' series,
the noobs island levels,
descent with modification,
water world,
warped course,
and cgl 666 lol

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.971 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.