compress Creating a simple Marble Blast clone. Looking for physics feedback/help

• Jaxkr
  • Jaxkr's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
02 Nov 2016 04:44 #1
Hi. Been working on a Marble Blast clone for about 2 days, and struggling to get the physics right. I'd like some feedback from the community. I've made a simple demo with gems and some surfaces. Nothing more.

Windows: mega.nz/#!7ZRl3ZyK!3TUsOwJ5YINOhbc9peEK0nmf13AxzV7IyD6Tp3gfu6g
Mac: mega.nz/#!DZYkhAZY!Dvtz354yZK8H3EYMULo3N51_8mb0lH3-MWNHHR7yqAA
(press alt+f4 or cmd+q to quit).

Please let me know what you think. I've scoured for resources on how they propel the ball in Marble Blast, and trying to find the secret formula.

Is it all torque? All force? What kind of angular drag? How does the grass texture work? Etc.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
03 Nov 2016 16:29 #2
A few things I've found over the last few years of trying to replicate the physics:
Gravity is 20 m/s/s
Jump is 7.5 m/s impulse
Rolling is capped at 15 m/s forwards/sideways (so diagonal is ~21 m/s)
Air acceleration is 5 m/s/s
On the ground it's all torque

Bounce friction has to do with the normal of the surface and I believe is multiplied by the friction value.
Not certain how angular drag or rolling friction work.
You will almost always run into the case where you bounce off the edge between two adjacent shapes, even if the distance between them is zero.

Interesting progress so far though, I'd love to see something like this take off.

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }
The following user(s) said Thank You: Enigma, Jaxkr

• Jaxkr
  • Jaxkr's Avatar Topic Author
  • New Marbler
  • New Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
04 Nov 2016 03:43 #3
The thing I'm REALLY struggling with is rolling up surfaces realistically. Pure torque movement makes it REALLY easy to roll up surfaces. Makes everything feel like grass.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
04 Nov 2016 23:19 #4
How much torque are you applying? Also note that Marble Blast multiplies friction by the normal of the surface dotted with the up vector. So if a wall is straight up you get exactly 0 friction. Not certain this is possible to change in Unity as it requires modifying contact impulses. You could probably get around this by changing the wall's material but I'm not sure how convenient that would be.

Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• PacPlayer
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Game Dev. for MB1/MBUn
  • Thank you received: 13
09 Nov 2016 22:20 #5
I tried/am making my own marble blast game in unity too! I used Bawl Physics, you can buy is for 10$ on the asset store. It works pretty well and it comes with a lot of stuff. You can try it here: www.dropbox.com/sh/z99xvf35js9lrsk/AACu2...rS7SvvP5UMTfVka?dl=0

Hope I helped! :)

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
09 Nov 2016 23:52 #6
I'm... not entirely sure that a $10 unity asset will help replicate MBG's physics to an acceptable level.

In either case, best of luck to you, Jaxkr.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
10 Nov 2016 16:38 #7
All depends on your definition of "acceptable".

For instance, if you're Jeff, nothing short of perfect is acceptable. Hence why you haven't seen (publicly) a marble game from him in ages.

Code:
The following user(s) said Thank You: snowbody, Lee, J@ckRB, Three, Derpky, Frostfire, NF, hPerks, Nockess

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
12 Nov 2016 20:34 #8

HiGuy wrote: All depends on your definition of "acceptable".

For instance, if you're Jeff, nothing short of perfect is acceptable. Hence why you haven't seen (publicly) a marble game from him in ages.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three, NF

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.911 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.