file Using Custom Skyboxes in World Record Rampages

• Nockess
  • Nockess's Avatar Topic Author
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
01 May 2017 22:29 - 02 May 2017 01:08 #1
MBP WRR 3 is on its way to completion and this topic has come up a few times in the past and it would be nice if we could get a final answer (Maybe from Matan? :)) for whether people should be allowed to use custom skyboxes in recordings for world record rampages. I personally think that this should be allowed. I know almost all, if not all, of the people still playing Marble Blast are sick of playing with the default skyboxes (for me, it's mainly the intermediate skybox because empty missions). Click here to view what my current skybox situation looks like.

I honestly think these look a LOT better than the old ones and I think it's pretty pointless to temporarily switch back to the default skyboxes just to record. Yes, .recs don't work like this since they show whatever someone has set for the skybox that the level being played uses, but have some common sense. Do .recs EVER work? :^)

I can understand why custom skyboxes aren't wanted in world record rampages since to people who don't know how to change skyboxes it can look like the runner changed the game somehow, but I feel like just as long as it's explained clearly that nothing important was changed and that it's very easy to change skyboxes, people can get away with it.

If you're interested, here's a link to the skyboxes I use. It includes Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert, and Bonus (Director's Cut) skyboxes. Since everything is renamed, all you have to do is just remove or replace the defaults with these.

So, with that said... opinions?

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
Last edit: 02 May 2017 01:08 by Nockess. Reason: Added a download link to my custom skyboxes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
  • Thank you received: 155
01 May 2017 23:30 #2
I don't participate in WRR's, but I don't think people should care if someone uses a different skybox for a certain level. The only thing a skybox change does is (of course, change how the world looks around you as you play the particular level.)

The skyboxes don't change the speed of the marble, how the power-ups work, or anything else.

I can understand why custom skyboxes aren't wanted in world record rampages since to people who don't know how to change skyboxes it can look like the runner changed the game somehow, but I feel like just as long as it's explained clearly that nothing important was changed and that it's very easy to change skyboxes, people can get away with it.

Those people are stereotypical watching those runs and thinking that user is cheating (unless they really are, which I know those don't get through with WRR's.) Those people need to learn that changing a skybox doesn't mean they are cheating/spoofing the run. It's just easier for eyes if not other things.

So in my opinion, custom skyboxes or original skyboxes, WRR's should be counted if it's a legitimate run: not based on what the skies look like.

STOPX Creator. Getting better by every release.

• Three
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • level designer
  • Thank you received: 349
01 May 2017 23:58 #3
Matan is the person to ask this but my two cents are that no, they shouldn't be allowed. WR runs should be recorded in the most vanilla conditions possible.

Follow me on twitter at @threefolder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frostfire, NF

• Thank you received: 406
02 May 2017 00:07 #4
Xelna had some intermediate runs in WRR 2 (and maybe some from different difficulties but I particularly remember intermediates) with a dark blue skybox instead of the standard intermediate one. For me I definitely found this distracting and wondered why it was so for ages. The reason I received was that "Xelna loves his skyboxes" and on the whole I think that just because a runner wants to use different skyboxes doesn't mean they should be able to, because that would cause confusion and disrupt the flow of the rampage if a bunch of people use a bunch of different skyboxes in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Three

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
02 May 2017 07:10 #5
Not a speedrunner but gonna say no. If we are making world record rampage then it should be original game.
Also it will cause confusion for non speedruners who will watch the WRR and all the sections (begginner intermediate etc) will look too rainbow.
+What looks good for one looks bad for someone else which is another reason stock should be kept as it's somewhere in a middle.

Only reason for this kind of change is that some skyboxes are eyesore to some people.

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
02 May 2017 10:27 - 03 May 2017 19:03 #6
I think people should be able to use their own skyboxes, as soon as they are not eyesore to other people. It adds some diversity to the rampage.
Being drastic about this point can mostly be a bad idea. If we let Xelna do it, then why not the others? Sounds unfair!
And I clearly don't understand why people consider changing a skybox as cheating. This is ridiculous.
Just my opinion.

Warning: Spoiler!

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 May 2017 19:03 by Ralph.

• Thank you received: 69
02 May 2017 10:50 #7
It's clear there's some sort of divide here. Personally, I agree with both viewpoints, but really it depends on how 'professional' we want the WRRs to look. Using the original skyboxes will create uniformity, which I really like to see when watching a lot of runs in one video. If there are different skyboxes, it highlights the originality of the players, but makes it look a little more tacky imo.

SoundCloud page here:

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.778 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.