• Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
  • Thank you received: 198
02 Jan 2017 11:10 #1
So..

I'm getting a new computer! And it's a desktop! :D

Specs: (is it the best? I don't know)

Intel Core i7-6700 (8MB Cache, LGA1150)

Corsair Value Select 2133Mhz DDR4 RAM - 4GB (I ordered 2 sticks, so 8GB RAM total)

Motherboard: www.msi.com/Motherboard/B150M-NIGHT-ELF.html

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor (6GD5 (I'm guessing VRAM? I don't know what that meant), Overclocked)

Samsung 750 Evo SSD - 250GB

WD Blue - 1TB HDD

Corsair VS650 - 650W Power Supply

Monitor: aoc-europe.com/en/products/g2778vq

Peripherals:

-Corsair K70 Mechanical
-Razer Mamba Tournament Edition

Cost: RM7000 (which is roughly $1500 for you guys)

Uses:

Mainly video editing, Maya rendering, and video games.

Also if anyone else has a better rig, tell me please :p

love you dad

lee is awesome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 24
02 Jan 2017 14:24 #2
Good to hear that from you. :cheer:

I guess you're kind of lost in this topic, so I'll try to give you tips that will help you the most. ;)
But first, let me tell what's fine and what you might consider doing.
And of course, this is not the best computer you can build, but sometimes it's not even worth going for the absolute high-end components available.

What is fine:
  • The CPU has plenty of power, so video editing and rendering aren't going to be a problem. But it's the LGA1151 socket, not 1150.
  • If you're not going to overclock your CPU, then this motherboard is a good option.
  • The GPU fits very well for 1080p gaming, even at 75Hz. Best choice for this price, as it's a bit more powerful than a GTX 980.
  • SSD is a good choice for your OS and some of your games, since it has very fast write and read speeds compared to a hard drive.
    On the other hand, the HDD holds a lot more data and will last a long time before it breaks.
  • The power supply is more than enough for your rig.
  • The refresh rate in your monitor should improve your reactions a bit if you're playing FPS games like CS:GO, Battlefield 1 etc.
Looks like you like red.

Things you might consider doing:
  • The RAM sticks are a great value (Of course), but two 8GB sticks would be better for some tasks.
  • If you record a lot of videos, then you might get a 2TB HDD or another 1TB (with a RAID 1 configuration) instead.
    More about RAID here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
  • In case you finally decide to start overclocking, get these:
    - Intel Core i7-6700K which requires a motherboard with the Z170 chipset (Here's one below)
    - MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON
  • And at last, if you decide to game at 1440p:
    - MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor OC (or Gaming X to fit your theme)
    - ASUS MX27AQ

Also, it looks like you didn't mention CPU cooling. [strike]and the case[/strike] Nevermind, you did on Discord. :P
  • For CPU cooling you can choose be quiet! Pure Rock BK009.
  • Fractal Design's Define Mini C is one of the best m-ATX cases I could find. It's small, but looks very good.

Anyways, if you want to know the specs of my rig, here you go. ;)
I don't want to take up too much space so I'm going to put in the link and a spoiler here.

Link: pcpartpicker.com/list/yvPTFd
Please note that not everything is listed here, but that's alright.

Here's the full list:
Warning: Spoiler!

I might edit this post later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lee

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
02 Jan 2017 18:14 #3
The specs themselves are good. The i7-6700 will last a few years, and the GTX 1060 is great for 1080p. You meant 6GB DDRR5 which is the standard (DDR5 that is) and you have 6GB of video ram, which is sufficient for many games. Don't go overkill on the "ultra" settings though ;)

The 750 Evo is pretty good, although you may find you want to spend slightly more to get the 850 EVO (benchmarks for the 250GBs of both versions is here .

Re: Motherboard. It is LGA 1151, which I believe your CPU indeed is so (not sure whether you typo'd 1150 or not). The DDR4 mem support is low though, but whatever. Does seem to fit what you need though so that's good.

RAM: 8GB is the minimum, and DDR4 is kinda expensive though dropping in price. More would be better since you want video editing as well as maya rendering, so you might want to hit up 16GB (12GB would be fine as well with a third 4GB stick).

As Weather said: video recording may need a 2TB HDD. It does take up lots of space and you may find yourself stopping halfway through a session and deleting videos. This is especially true the higher the resolution is, though I know OBS/ShadowPlay don't use as much recording space so you may be fine with 1TB.

Lastly, your priorities lie with "Video editing, Maya rendering". Both will need at least 4GB of RAM. Both require good CPU (which indeed you have) as well as proper GPU. Of course, Maya has a nice certified list of GPUs it supports (Autodesk Maya anyway). It appears Maya works better with GPU than CPU, but go figure.

All in all, for $1500 this is good value.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Thank you received: 401
02 Jan 2017 18:48 #4
Overall I'd say it's pretty good value, and the mechanical keyboard and mouse will be nice additions.

That said, some thoughts:
  • Since you said your main priorities are video editing and Maya rendering then the i7+1060 make a good fit. (For a more gaming-oriented build, i5+1070 would be better). You might want to look into getting 16 GB of RAM for that stuff though if you can.
  • 750 Evo is outdated like Matan said, but it's not a huge deal.
  • I'm actually going to say that this monitor is not very ideal for what your priorities are. It sounds like it's a TN panel, which has rather poor color contrast compared to other options that are available. Generally for video editing or modeling you're going to want better color accuracy, so I'd go for an IPS monitor here. Additionally, I highly recommend against buying 27" 1080p monitors in general because the pixel density is too low (generally you want 24" for 1080p and 27" for 1440p). The 75Hz refresh rate is nice but it's not a huge difference compared to 60Hz. Something similar to the Acer R240HY might work out a lot better for you and maybe even save you some cash.
  • I'd look into getting a different power supply. Corsair PSUs are generally very hit-and-miss, and you do not want to cheap out on your power supply. Consider getting the Seasonic S12II or the EVGA SuperNova G2 .

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy

• Lee
  • Lee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
02 Jan 2017 21:45 #5
Thanks guys for the replies!

The motherboard is definitely a typo, sorry lol

Macst0yer:

-I'm going to add more RAM
-I have like 2 1TB drives lying in my closet, so nevermind about that.
-I actually prefer 1080p. To be honest, 1440p is kind of overkill to me.

IsraeliRD:
Already said in Mac's part ^

Derpking:
I had a hard time picking the monitor!
Some of the monitors I want, they don't even sell, so I picked the Freesync and the 27" one, since it's bigger and I have more space in it for multitasking (actually, kinda think, I should've gotten a widescreen).

Power supply..
I'll ask the guy who's going to build it for me.

Thank you guys!

lee is awesome

• Thank you received: 401
03 Jan 2017 01:04 - 03 Jan 2017 01:16 #6

RealLee_ChillLee wrote: -I actually prefer 1080p. To be honest, 1440p is kind of overkill to me.

Overkill in what way? 1080p is fine, but just saying, have you actually tried using a 1440p monitor? There's a pretty big difference.

RealLee_ChillLee wrote: Derpking:
I had a hard time picking the monitor!
Some of the monitors I want, they don't even sell, so I picked the Freesync and the 27" one, since it's bigger and I have more space in it for multitasking (actually, kinda think, I should've gotten a widescreen).

Just making sure you understand - you are aware that getting a 27" monitor over a 24" one doesn't give you any more space, right? What matters is the resolution. I have a hard time working with 27" 1080p monitors because the pixel density is so bad.

Also, Freesync only works with AMD graphics cards. You need G-Sync if you want to keep the GTX 1060. Even still, Freesync/G-Sync isn't really something I'd prioritize in a build like this. It's more useful if you're gaming at 1440p or above, where you might not be able to hit your monitor's refresh rate consistently.

"You know you've spelled something wrong when the only search results are Jeff convos" - HiGuy
Last edit: 03 Jan 2017 01:16 by Derpky.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
03 Jan 2017 01:12 #7
>freesync
>nvidia

good luck.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derpky

• Lee
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
03 Jan 2017 08:29 #8
Really?

I'm heading there right now.

Thanks for the warning!

lee is awesome

• Lee
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • huehuehue
03 Jan 2017 12:55 #9
Okay so update,

I've told the builder to change my monitor to a 1440p IPS Display. Nothing special, or else I'll have a big price bump. Will update when the model is picked.

lee is awesome

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.002 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.