file Building a new arcade cabinet! =)

• Jiquor
  • Jiquor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
  • Thank you received: 155
06 Jun 2017 06:51 - 06 Jun 2017 06:52 #1
Been hard at work on a different project I decided to do out of the blue. I'm taking my old Windows 2000 and making an Arcade Machine!

With MAME as the source, I've been hard at work with the actual board.

Two photos are the wire assembly and final product. I wish I had photos taken when I built the whole controls :( but there will be more photos soon of the actual cabinet in progress :) now to rest with a grilled cheese sandwich, some watermelon and some YouTube :D

STOPX Creator. Getting better by every release.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jun 2017 06:52 by Jiquor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aayrl, RDs.The-dts-guy, Nockess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 368
06 Jun 2017 11:20 #2
Nice project! I built a similar arcade box a few years back for a friend's wedding.

Surprisingly, I had an easier time with the wiring and the programming than I did with the actual arcade enclosure itself. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to woodworking, so I think I spent around 2 months off and on fashioning a design I was satisfied with and then another month or so sanding, styling and then of course painting. I'll have to see if I can dig up a photo.

Looking forward to more progress pictures! Best of luck!

~Aayrl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiquor

• Eguy
  • Expert Marbler
  • Expert Marbler
  • Booper Supreme
  • Thank you received: 208
06 Jun 2017 15:58 #3
Really good stuff! It always confounds me how people know how to do these transformations and configurations with machines :P
Hopefully the grilled cheese sandwich and the building of that aren't going together lol.

"it's the internet eguy. where children are men. men are monkeys, and women are PQ."
-Jeff 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jiquor

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
06 Jun 2017 19:57 #4

Eguy wrote: Hopefully the grilled cheese sandwich and the building of that aren't going together lol.

yum trying that for dinner tonight ;)

• Jiquor
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • STOPX Creator
07 Jun 2017 01:07 #5
let me know what games i should put on the emulator

no, i will not be installing any trackball/racing wheel games
i don't support those on the cabinet i'm building

so far i've got:

1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945
4D Warriors, Aero Fighters I and II
Amazing Maze
Adventure
Bubble Bobble
Asteroids, Dominos, Marble Madness
Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac Man, Pac & Pal, Dig Dug, Frogger, Galaga, New Rally X
a whole bunch of Playchoice10
Goal! Goal! Goal!, Metal Slug (all series!)
Pinball Action
Tetris

I also have some other games that I cannot remember at this current time as I'm writing this.
Let me know what games I should add!

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
07 Jun 2017 09:39 #6
Looks really lit, the best part is that you can adjust your joystick to not be spongy or having too wide or short of a travel like some off the shelf cabinets are. Also the build looks really professional both from outside and tecnical standpoint. :)
I was wondering what do you use as a brain of the system to connect all the keys to and communicate to windows. Are there are already premade boards or is it arduino based?

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• Thank you received: 368
10 Jun 2017 19:10 - 10 Jun 2017 19:11 #7
Depends what your target audience for the arcade machine is going to be. Both of mine I built with multiplayer sessions in mind. That being said, these are some classics you don't want to miss out on:
  • Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
  • Doom
  • Galaga
  • Gauntlet
  • Goof Troop
  • Marble Madness (That 1980s Marble Blast nostalgia, yo!)
  • Medal of Honor
  • Mortal Kombat / Mortal Kombat II
  • North & South
  • Quake
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Tennis
  • Tetris / Tetris2

Similar questions to RDs, what hardware is processing the Emulator, your Windows 2000 box?

I've used a Raspberry Pi 3 for both of my arcade box projects. They're small, lightweight, require very little maintenance, and are dead silent :)

32 GB microSD running RetroPie ( github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/First-Installation ) - Beautiful OS if you haven't checked it out already. Makes the whole process incredibly simple. And, if you want to add more games, you simply dump the ROMs on a flash drive and insert it into the Pi. Done.

For a few extra dollars, buy yourself some of these USB remake NES controllers for that super nostalgic look and feel - www.amazon.com/Buffalo-iBuffalo-Classic-...P801GY/dp/B002B9XB0E

Cheers,
~Aayrl
Last edit: 10 Jun 2017 19:11 by Aayrl.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.044 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.