This is an old game from late 2008 that I once played (and beat).
In this game, you control a rabbit-like creature named Doofus Longears who has to collect gems scattered across each of 32 levels while avoiding getting caught by alien invaders.
I first heard of the game sometime in 2010. My first impression, given the skybox being used, was that it was a new version of Marble Blast with a walking, sentient being for a protagonist instead of a rotund, inanimate object.
I've noticed a lot of similarities to Marble Blast Gold, such as:
* The skybox looks like a more polished version of the MBG one.
* One of the fonts, Dom Casual, is used (albeit named "Dominican" here).
* There are (still) no checkpoints, so if you fall off, you have to start over.
* Each level is categorized in three difficulties.
* Some levels have a qualify time.
There's also some differences:
* There are five power-ups instead of seven, and only one of them, the Super Jump, works identically to (and is named after) the one in Marble Blast Gold; the other four have different functions and/or names.
* Once you collect a power-up, you can't replace it with another one until you use it.
* The controls are more constrained, meaning that not only can you not move diagonally, but you also can't move while airborne (that is, without a certain powerup). You also can't activate powerups in mid-air.
* There's a story to it: aliens have invaded Doofus' planet and looted the vault, and it's up to Doofus to retrieve the stolen gems while avoiding the aliens.
Unfortunately, as of this writing, the full version is not available for sale (hasn't been for a few years), and a sequel is still in development. I contacted the developers of the game (3D Logic Software), and they said they'd have the game available on their site again by the first week of June (after having spent a lot of their energy getting the rights back). The demo can still be found elsewhere.
Have you ever seen/played it before, or am I the only one?
When I heard of this game and saw it being played, I wasn't creeped out at all. I was rather amazed at the similarities between it and Marble Blast. I will admit that the walk cycles aren't really as smooth like you'd see in Super Mario 64 (1996). Then again, YMMV.
Doofus Longears (2008) is a different game made by a different company (3D Logic Software, based in Mumbai, India) using a different engine (hence the constrained movement and different fonts) that happens to be similar to Marble Blast (2002). It's neither a hybrid nor a mod. So I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.