file The Process of Video-Making [2/25/13]

• Ian_Cordle
  • Ian_Cordle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
  • Thank you received: 10
25 Feb 2013 19:49 #1
Although I often try to rant quite a bit on my blog here because it's a great way to practice writing and to kinda get my ideas and interests out there to an enclosed audience, today I don't have any big ideas to write about. [Though I should probably do a new Internet Sophistication Guide soon!]

Recently, I have been contemplating making a few series of videos. I used to make countless videos on YouTube, short Marble Blast clips, montages and the like as well as a few short Let's Plays that I never ever finished. My YouTube channel, [valentinoian] , has been quiet for a while and has only hit 150 subscribers after years of videos. I've taken most of my videos down now, so I can even re-hit that 100 video mark as I did before during my Marble Blast era.

It's actually kind of sad that my most viewed video was made in 2008, a camcorder tutorial on how to create a custom level in the level editor. I was 12. It now has over 11,000 views, as of February 25th. Though I don't expect to have a giant YouTube audience, I do want to expand and my 2013 goal is a bit lofty: 1000 subscribers and a completed Let's Play. I'm not going to advertise or push my videos onto people, but I do want to hopefully have some feedback from those on this forum. So I begin by telling my tale: How to prepare a good, professional Let's Play.

Let's Play The Longest Journey

Goals

I strongly believe that a good Let's Play has to start with the establishment of what your goals are. In this case, and in all of my Let's Play aspirations, I just want to show off a good game to people who can't, or don't, play it. I'm no entrepreneur, and I don't want to make money from this - I want to have fun by playing a great game and having someone else enjoy it with me. I'm not pewdiepie. The videos aren't about me, they are about the game. [I could rant about why pewdiepie is a disgrace to YouTube but I digress] So, when I start planning, I want to give each viewer as good an experience as them playing the game themselves, if at all possible. That means no spoilers, no talking over cutscenes or dialog, and giving them the highest quality of content possible.

Technicalities

The Longest Journey is a long, old game. To make sure I have everything working properly, I will probably test run my first few videos, recording in as high quality as possible and balancing audio to make sure it is synced and tuned properly. I want everyone to see everything glitch free. But these things are obvious. A more realistic concern are things like video length, editing time, and video release intervals. Balancing what I can handle against what is reasonable for the consumer. It's far easier for me to create long videos, because editing time is generally a constant per video, and I have to record the same amount of gameplay regardless. Personally, I prefer 20-25 minute video releases 1-2 times a week (well, daily if the creator can, but clearly that's not viable). So, I plan to release 2 videos minimum a week, each video being about 20 minutes each. This hopefully will finish the game within... 8 months

8 months. It's a very, very long game. [and so I'll probably try to complete it a BIT faster]

Feedback

So, I begin the series in the next few days. I will begin a thread in my blog, most likely, which will have an embed of each video created, and I hope that you're interested in discussing it. There's quite a bit to talk about in The Longest Journey, so let's get started!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
26 Feb 2013 11:37 #2
Just a FYI, Let's Play videos almost always your commentary on top of the video, usually during actual gameplay. I didn't know that during Fox Ranger but no one seemed to care, but just so you know Whether you talk over cutscenes etc. is really your choice (your audience might prefer if you do, since some won't like that you won't skip cutscenes), but they want to see good real gameplay.

Interact with your audience, provides jokes and overall have fun. Be frustrated at the game when it gives you hell, and try and go one chapter at a time. Don't overdo yourself. Pick any game and put in a Let's Play for it. I'm sure you'll find a ton, and most of them give you the general direction of what to do.

Good luck and have fun!

(my lets play of theme park inc is a speedrun lolololol)

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
26 Feb 2013 18:43 #3
The game is a story. Most of it is listening and interacting with dialogue and watching cutscenes. If I skipped all of the cutscenes and talked over dialogue, not only would the game be very dull because the viewer would be confused, but it would be quite shorter.

Of course there will be commentary while I do things, but most of it is listening to the characters - they are the stars!

• Thank you received: 0
26 Feb 2013 22:40 #4
Remember Ian, if you ever have any troubles with your LP's, just refer to this excellent guide. I refer to it all the time and it's helped me a ton.

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
26 Feb 2013 23:00 #5
This quite expresses my views on Let's Plays. I'm not even calling this a Let's Play but it is an easy way to describe it to people. The titles, however, don't even include it. I'm quite the retsupurae connoisseur - I'm so against the commonality: thus The Longest Journey

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
26 Feb 2013 23:01 #6
you got roko to post

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
28 Feb 2013 20:03 #7
Quick Update: I've recorded a few installments - and boy is this going to take a long time. Of course, not only is the game long, but I've found that Fraps doesn't pick up on cutscenes. I have the audio, but no video! I now have to extract all of the cutscenes from the game and edit them in post. Just another delay to the first few releases, but my daily recording sessions are going relatively well.

Should have something out this weekend

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.843 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.