file My first blog.

• Jeff
  • Jeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
18 Jul 2011 19:40 #1
Today, I finally got my blog spot. Thanks Pablo! Well, I was wondering what to write about, so I figured why not write about how I started programming.

So, pretend the title is now, How Jeff became a Programmer.

When I was scheduling classes for my freshman year in high school, there happened to be a website design class for all four grades. I decided to give it a go. When I had it, I really enjoyed the class, and I finally learned my first programming language, which was HTML. I loved that class very much, and I wanted to do more with the website design. So, I decided to take it upon myself and learn CSS (Cascading Style-Sheets). CSS is kind of like a programming language that runs off of HTML. It is kind of like an add-on to a website, where you would style it.

Then, one day, during the time of when Opal was just in its beginnings, Greg had asked Higuy to code a bunch of stuff for mbopal. Well, I knew a little bit of torque script, and I decided that I would code opal's Triksta Time (which was removed then just yesterday). But, I failed at that miserably. I had contacted Phil at that time to help me with that code. He did help, but he was slightly off as well. After I tried to code some other things and posted numerous noob questions, Phil suggested to me that I should learn torque script.

One day, Ian Valentino and I were talking, and he decided that he wanted to learn c#. After he started, I got interested in it, where I am slowly learning the basics of it, since I do not code in it much today.

(I can not remember if the c# comes before the next paragraph or not, since this was a while ago )

Finally, I decided to learn torque script, and take Phil's advice. This was at the beginning of the year, where I started learning the bare basics. With help from Higuy and Seizure22, I have learned a ton of torque scripting knowledge. I am able to code much more highly advanced things now than I was 7 months ago, when I was a noob.

So, then, just at the beginning of June 2011, I decided it was time for me to start learning c++. Since then, I have learned some stuff, but not much. Seizure22 has offered me to help him in a c++ project some day, and I may just take the offer.

So, where do i stand now in programming, like which language do I prefer and do I code in the most? Well, I code mainly in torque script for the time being, and I think torque script is my favorite language to code in. It is a very fun language, and I highly suggest it that more people start learning it.

If anybody has torque script questions, do not hesitate to ask. But, please do not force me to do projects of marble blast, since I am way to busy to do that.

I am happy to serve on MBE as programmer, level builder, and council member, as well as a programmer in MBE2.

I would love to give a special thanks to a few members of the community, who changed my life just months ago into a programmer.

So, without further ado,

Special thanks goes to:

Phil
Ian Valentino
Seizure22
Higuy

I would also like to thank Pablo for the blog spot, and Matan for leading a great community.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Jeff, Marble Blast Programmer

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18
18 Jul 2011 19:42 #2
Great blog. Looking forward to more.

• Thank you received: 15
18 Jul 2011 19:43 #3
Very interesting read!

• dobrakmato
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
18 Jul 2011 20:16 #4
Very nice blog. Congrats on getting one.

• dobrakmato
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
18 Jul 2011 20:30 #5
Great reading! I am suggesting to you learn more c++. But still i will be happier if you choose C#!

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
18 Jul 2011 22:15 #6
Nice blog. HTML and CSS aren't programming languages though. They're just design languages (markup and style). Technically TorqueScript isn't either, it's a scripting language (read up: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scripting_language ).

• Jeff
  • Jeff's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
18 Jul 2011 22:45 #7
nice to see some feedback, thanks guys

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.014 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.