file Terragen: Exporting Skies (Mac)

• HiGuy
  • HiGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
05 Mar 2010 18:00 #1
Hey, could someone give me a basic run-down on how to get your terragen terrain/sky/other stuff into a skybox? I already know how to get the 3d view, and the texturing done, just want to know how I export/save it for a skybox.

Thank you!

HiGuy

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
05 Mar 2010 18:32 #2
(I don't remember whether you use Mac or Windows, but I assume the following process works on both systems.)

Andrew's Guide to Exporting Skyboxes in Terragen (Mac)

If you're going to export a skybox, you first need a script to run the rendering process. You should have a skybox.tgs file in your Skyboxes folder. If not, download it here and place the file in that location.

Now you're ready to export your first sky. To do that, go to the Scripting menu and click on Run TG Script:

The Script Setup window should pop up. First off, you need to select your script. Click on the Choose Script... button. Find your skybox.tgs file and select it. Next, you need to select the location of where you want your sky exported to. Click the Choose Folder... button. I prefer to send the exported sky to the Files folder, but you can choose wherever you wish.

Lastly, you can choose a name for your skybox and type it into the Base Frame Name space. Here's what the window should look like when you're ready:

You're all set to export your skybox! Just click on Run Script and your sky will start rendering. The rendering process usually takes 5-15 minutes to complete.

(will finish later)

• HiGuy
  • HiGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
05 Mar 2010 18:49 #3
Thank you! This worked and I am on my way to creating many skyboxes!

HiGuy

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Thank you received: 18
05 Mar 2010 23:13 #4
Stickying because of Andrew's nice guide.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
06 Mar 2010 09:46 #5
So I can lock this, right? I mean, the question was answered...

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
14 Mar 2010 23:56 #6
Unlocked because Sporlo has a question

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Thank you received: 2
16 Mar 2010 03:01 #7
So, Sunday I spent like over an hour messing with Terragen and trying to get a skybox to export correctly.

I used the script to get each side of the cube, but when I put them into MB, the UP and DOWN sides were rotated incorrectly. I then simply rotated them. It took me multiple rotates each time to get the correct orientation, but by the time I correctly rotated them, the value of the images had been lowered, so there was a noticeable dark square on the ceiling and floor of the skybox.

I even tried editing the .tgs script to get it to export it right the FIRST time, but I could never get it to work.

So, to my question:
Does anyone have Terragen script values that will yeild correctly rotated images the FIRST time it exports?
I could experiment more, but I've wasted far too much time already and I hate having to reexport worlds over and over and then editing and moving files around/into MB. It's just a pain in the ass.

I'm not expecting others to experiment for me, I just want to know if you ALREADY HAVE the values.

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
16 Mar 2010 03:40 #8
Script works fine for me.

• Thank you received: 2
16 Mar 2010 04:01 #9
Um...
Ok.
I'll try it again later, maybe the weekend or sometime.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.037 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.