file grd's Graphics & Questions

• grd1715
  • grd1715's Avatar Topic Author
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
  • Thank you received: 2
02 Aug 2014 04:07 - 14 Aug 2014 13:56 #1
Edit: Making this my general graphics topic now.
First of all, hello to the frequenters of Marble Blast forums. I've recently downloaded MBP after finishing the levels of MBU on the Xbox, and was a bit let down by the disparity of the graphics. I figured I could modify them for personal use, and so far it has been going well, albeit slowly. However, I have a few things which I could not figure out by searching the archives of the forum, namely:

1. Is there any vector/large raster image of the MBP logo present on the start pad?

2. Is there any way to remove the 'Finish Here' sign? It does not work with the environment map in its current state, and looks out of place with my textures.

I'm sure I'll have more questions shortly, but any help with these two would be much appreciated.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2014 13:56 by grd1715.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16
03 Aug 2014 16:12 #2
For #1,
I'm not sure what a vector/large raster is but if I'm right then the answer is probably no.

For #2,
Is it possible to make the image completely transparent? Or is that not supported in the MarbleBlast graphics?
Also, you could go into level editor in every level and manually delete all the finish signs, although this may qualify as cheating, so I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Your best option is to just retexture the sign to your liking.

i have a flickr

• whirligig
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 261
03 Aug 2014 17:47 #3
Transparent textures are possible but would need to be specified in the model file (the finish sign textures aren't; they use the transparency channel for environment mapping). You could delete the DTS file itself, but again, that would alter playability (and prevent you from using the LBs).

If you alter the textures to have alpha 0, that gets rid of the environment mapping.

• grd1715
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
06 Aug 2014 13:41 - 06 Aug 2014 19:14 #4
Thanks for the replies!

elnathan wrote: For #1,
I'm not sure what a vector/large raster is but if I'm right then the answer is probably no.

I was just looking for a large black and white version I could use to make the start pad. I made my own though, so it wasn't an issue.

whirligig wrote: Transparent textures are possible but would need to be specified in the model file (the finish sign textures aren't; they use the transparency channel for environment mapping). You could delete the DTS file itself, but again, that would alter playability (and prevent you from using the LBs).

If you alter the textures to have alpha 0, that gets rid of the environment mapping.

I don't know what the LBs are, but deleting the DTS did what I wanted. It's still playable, there's just not a giant sign over the finish.
If anyone is interested, here's what some of the graphics look like so far:

Last edit: 06 Aug 2014 19:14 by grd1715.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
07 Aug 2014 02:27 #5
LBS = Leaderboards/online play. Changing a game file will prevent you from playing the game as it is an anti hack to prevent cheaters.

Looking good so far and will be waiting to see more!

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• StewMan46
  • Professional Marbler
  • Professional Marbler
  • Thank you received: 46
08 Aug 2014 00:29 #6
Great work!! Keep it up. Btw what software do you use for your graphics? (I use Paint.NET)

• grd1715
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
09 Aug 2014 15:35 #7
Hey guys.

Jeff wrote: LBS = Leaderboards/online play. Changing a game file will prevent you from playing the game as it is an anti hack to prevent cheaters.

That's good to know. I guess I'll reinstall if I feel the need to play online, but it's never been my thing.

StewMan46 wrote: Btw what software do you use for your graphics? (I use Paint.NET)

I use Photoshop CS5, but that can be cost-prohibitive. I think GIMP is supposed to be its free equivalent.

I have some more questions, and I'm not sure when the original topics were bumped last, so I'll post them here:

1. The marble I'm using is a modification of MadMarioSkills', because it has the environment map and I couldn't get that to show up on the normal marble. However, it stays in one spot, which leads me to believe it's actually a billboard (I think they're called) as discussed in the topic at one point. Is there any way to get true environment mapping on the marble, or is that just how it behaves?

2. I keep trying to use MBGE, but when I start a level the clock is frozen at 5:00:00, I can't move the marble off the platform, and there are no effects. I think it's an issue with the mod starting. The GUI pulls up and I can move sliders, but nothing changes. Here's the log:

Warning: Spoiler!

This one isn't too urgent, as I can't run MBGE well until I get a new computer, but help would be appreciated.

Lastly, some screenshots:

Wooden wall panels

Trampolines

I think I'm going to make colored variations of the floors in addition to the all-white. Thoughts on this?

• MadMarioSkills
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Experienced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
01 Sep 2014 14:29 #8
Late reply, but for the env map issue, it sounds like you want reflections, which the engine doesn't support. From the pictures you posted your marble definitely has env mapping.

• Thank you received: 10
04 Sep 2014 01:44 #9
if chrome supported marble blast...
love these textures! keep it up :D

• grd1715
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
04 Oct 2014 19:56 #10
I made a wallpaper so that you guys know I didn't leave or die or something...

It's only 1366 x 768 though because I have a small laptop monitor.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
09 Oct 2014 00:42 - 09 Oct 2014 00:47 #11
Sorry for the late reply!

Regarding MBGE, what is your graphics card? You *must* have a card that supports at least openGL 2.1 or better in order to run those shaders. Anything older is considered to be "fixed function" rendering (what MBG/P uses) and is way to old to support shaders. I see the shader is failing to compile, which could be because your card does not support that version of openGL. I have never seen that error before. Also, it could be your card driver that's just not liking this implementation or extension (OpenGL isn't 100% universal.....)

Also, there are no dynamic cubemaps in this engine, you will never have full reflections unless someone were to implement a full OpenGL 2.1 or 3.2 port of the game (which is a ton of work). Until shader based pipelines, dynamic cubemapping was very very hard to accomplish, if not near impossible. Old hardware in 2002 wouldn't have been able to handle that well :). This game engine uses OpenGL 1.1ish and extensions.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2014 00:47 by Jeff.

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
10 Oct 2014 18:26 #12

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

Attachments:

• grd1715
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
03 Nov 2014 15:30 #13
Hello everyone. Sorry for the late post, I wrote it once and lost it...

JeefNuggets wrote: Regarding MBGE, what is your graphics card? You *must* have a card that supports at least openGL 2.1 or better in order to run those shaders. Anything older is considered to be "fixed function" rendering (what MBG/P uses) and is way to old to support shaders. I see the shader is failing to compile, which could be because your card does not support that version of openGL. I have never seen that error before. Also, it could be your card driver that's just not liking this implementation or extension (OpenGL isn't 100% universal.....)

My laptop has an Nvidia GeForce GT 540M, which supports OpenGL 4.4 according to the website. I guess it's possible that the game is running on the integrated graphics, but even those support OpenGL 3.0 I think, so I don't know what the problem is. I tried to update the graphics card drivers, but it screwed itself up somehow and I'll have to redo it.

JeefNuggets wrote: Also, there are no dynamic cubemaps in this engine, you will never have full reflections unless someone were to implement a full OpenGL 2.1 or 3.2 port of the game (which is a ton of work). Until shader based pipelines, dynamic cubemapping was very very hard to accomplish, if not near impossible. Old hardware in 2002 wouldn't have been able to handle that well :). This game engine uses OpenGL 1.1ish and extensions.

Thanks for the info. I didn't necessarily mean real reflections, only that the environment map on the marble doesn't move when the camera changes position. I tried to take screenshots to show what I mean, but it didn't work so I made this:

It's kind of inconsequential because I can't change how the reflections work, so I just made a marble that relies less on them.

Also, just out of curiosity, are you in Pittsburgh? Because I am, so that would be cool.

Ralph wrote:

lol :lol:

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
03 Nov 2014 20:21 - 03 Nov 2014 20:24 #14
Your openGL error, hmm, I have no idea now. Yep you're card is new enough haha :)

Yes, it doesn't move because it's actually just the environment map image inside of the sky's directory. Basically just a texture-underlay :(

Also, just out of curiosity, are you in Pittsburgh? Because I am, so that would be cool.

Within an hour drive.

Last edit: 03 Nov 2014 20:24 by Jeff.

• grd1715
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
15 Nov 2014 21:46 #15

JeefNuggets wrote: Within an hour drive.

Nice. I remembered you saying something about CMU before, so I thought I'd ask.

JeefNuggets wrote: Your openGL error, hmm, I have no idea now. Yep you're card is new enough haha :)

In my mbpPrefs.cs there are two preferences set to "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family," defaultsRenderer and profiledRenderer. Could that have any bearing on the situation?

Also, on an unrelated note, do you know why the 512x512 texture limit exists or if there's a way to remove it? The low resolution is a little annoying on the skyboxes.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
15 Nov 2014 22:10 #16

In my mbpPrefs.cs there are two preferences set to "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family," defaultsRenderer and profiledRenderer. Could that have any bearing on the situation?

Ah, so marble blast uses the integrated card whenever there's options to choose from as its default. Interesting.......
Also that card supports openGL 2.0, and this renderer is 2.0. However, a specific extension could be missing......so it might be causing it.

Also, on an unrelated note, do you know why the 512x512 texture limit exists or if there's a way to remove it? The low resolution is a little annoying on the skyboxes.

Old cards couldn't handle large texture units, and no way that I know of to remove it. :/

• grd1715
  • Novice Marbler
  • Novice Marbler
15 Feb 2015 20:21 #17
Hey guys, I'm back!
If anyone is still interested, I have pretty much all of my interior textures done, but I still have to redo the shapes. I'm kind of a slacker, though, so I haven't started it yet.

In the meantime, I made a damask marble:

(I'm a sucker for cinematic screenshots...)

The texture should be attached to the post. :)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.025 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.