This board contains threads from which new levels can be downloaded.

Each level creator is to have one thread where he posts all information pertaining to his levels.

Any other or extra threads will be deleted.

file Marble Blast Gold Reloaded [Released: Beginner]

• Nockess
  • Nockess's Avatar Topic Author
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
  • Thank you received: 786
14 Jul 2022 23:30 - 26 Jul 2023 22:00 #1
Only reason I'm putting this in the customs board is because I didn't release everything at once. I also already made a thread for this before, but then deleted it since I didn't feel it was necessary, but then NF changed my mind.
Marble Blast Gold Reloaded is a project that I first started a couple years ago as something to hold me over during the pandemic. It's a custom level pack (or a mini-mod if you really want) that takes Marble Blast Gold and expands on many of the levels to make them more interesting and fun to play (oftentimes I use the term "remake" for these, although they're not 1-to-1 recreations). What I have planned out is to remake half of the original levels, split into 15 from beginner and intermediate and 20 from advanced, plus an extra 30 levels that are completely brand-new to bring the total to 80.

Here are some examples:
A week ago (five years and a day after PlatinumQuest's release), I put out the beginner levels. Most of the very straightfoward tutorial levels have been redesigned to be a lot less linear and one-dimensional than their original counterparts, and there are ten of my own that fill the gaps and make the whole difficulty curve of the beginner section much smoother. Find the pack here:
marbleland.vaniverse.io/pack/189

For ordering convenience, every level has "MBGR" and the respective level number. Also makes the levels easy to find when searching for them in-game.

Call me Chris!

Discord: Nockess#4107
YouTube: www.youtube.com/Nockess
Custom Levels: marbleland.vaniverse.io/profile/5
Last edit: 26 Jul 2023 22:00 by Nockess. Reason: Pack update.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HiGuy, NF, Myrus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
14 Jul 2022 23:44 #2
Fantastic level pack, Nockess. While it doesn’t have the most incredible visuals or the most fun gameplay you’ve created, these levels exceed at realizing their vision; they remain true to the MBG aesthetic and simple, tutorial-style gameplay that you’d expect in MBG Beginner, but you are still able to work some genuinely great Nockess-y gameplay and visual pieces despite the limitations of the style. To share my thoughts on stuff, I wrote a review-y style thing below on my thoughts, but don’t take the quantitative numbers too seriously :P — I’m not a level builder and I haven’t played many customs, but I have an unhealthy amount of hours solely in Gold, so I am looking at these levels from that perspective

Gameplay (8.5/10):
I would describe these sets of levels as the Beginner levels that MBG deserved to have as a tutorial. I see three major points of improvement:
1. As the levels go on, the geometry becomes more and more complex. Players deal with different sloped surfaces, different curves, different distances to fall etc. and thus they actually gain a gradual understanding of the mechanics. In OG MBG, all levels really just have large flat surfaces until Pitfalls, and thus that level hits many players like a brick
2. The MBG Beg is painfully linear in design, as in, most levels require no camera movement and just the W, S, and PowerUp keys. This becomes monotonous and most levels lose their individuality. It’s literally a crime LtR, BT, and MF are all recolors. You shake things up by… I’m not sure if this will make sense, but by forming the geometry of the level around each power-up, so to speak. Like LtSS has steep ramps to SS up, LtSJ has dramatic gaps and leaps in height, LtG feels like you’re flying heroically between skyscrapers, TT has a main path but then little things jutting out the side that actually force you to go out of your way to interact with the power up and beat the level. This is all super obvious, but original MBG falls flat in this basic element of game design, so it’s cool to see you grasp and not add any funny business but just make it short, simple, and effective.
3. You actually have to use each power-up or mechanic more than once to beat the levels, and you have to use them in a variety of scenarios. I don’t need to go into why this is a more effective tutorial… my friends all pass LtSS first try but then can’t beat Upward Spiral or MSQ despite supposedly having learned how to use the SS.

All these help make the levels more fun to play, possess more individuality, and serve as a more effective tutorial. I mean they aren’t like the most fun things I’ve ever played, but that’s not what Beginner is supposed to me.

The levels like Exercise and Leapfrog that break up tutorial are smart, mostly building their challenge out of using stuff you’ve learned in more complex ways or with more complex terrain. MBG’s single introductions aren’t enough for most mechanics, so these are also good tutorial design. In terms of the fun/simplicity ratio, these both scored the highest for me.

In terms of the longer levels, I thing they are above average. There’s nothing I can criticize about them, but I don’t feel like I am engaging with the marble physics and geometry in complex ways, except with the curved surfaces in Gyre. Like, Pitfalls and Winding Road are just going up ramps and avoiding gaps, I don’t feel like I’m doing anything awesome there. GF in the original game if you play it the intended way is already boring, and I think the concept of going across a flat yellow surface to use a power up to go to another flat yellow surface is a boring way to test players that doesn’t thrill them with or ramp up the challenge. I have the same feelings in this game, but your version is less tedious (as in, a bit smaller and less back tracking), and I don’t think I would’ve made a different call than you in remaking it for the final level.

Levels I thought really stood out as more fun than I would ever except were Leapfrog for capturing the fun of the SJ in a simple context, Gravity Helix for doing the same with the GM, and Gyre for engaging with slopes in cool ways. The only two levels I have negative opinions about were Marble Materials’ Lab and Winding Road. MML is the original but bigger… but the original is shit from a game design point. The only thing that level actually teaches you about surfaces is that grass is easier to go uphill. You can take straight lines on every surface to get the gem, and so if you do just do that, you never learn the friction nor traction. You can still take straight lines in your version, and really the turns between each straight line don’t fix anything or teach the player much. It’s just weird b/c you fix what’s wrong with every other level, but you miss this one. Winding Road has a lot of potential, and I know you’re a super creative person, so it’s weird to see it just be Winding Road but with more road and more winds. Even Pitfalls got the green slidey guys, but Winding Road doesn’t even get a new power-up added or nada?

Aesthetic (9/10):

You know a lot more about ways to make things look pleasing than I do, but maybe I can still say some things on this.

I don’t know how you operate in a style as simplistic MBG style and make something that not only looks good but poppingly unique, but you did. Points 1 + 2 of my gameplay section are also visual improvements for one. I’d say composition is your strongest tool… even simple things can be made visually interesting with composition, and you obviously have an intuitive grasp of it. Gyre is stunning if viewed from afar, and GF is great too. I noticed a lot of levels have multiple kinds of surfaces, like LtSJ uses the orange-yellow-striped along side the base orange, LtSS uses the orange-blue-arrowed texture, and while not every level does this, the ones that do benefit. I’m most impressed by your little details and the small additions to the MBG palette you add, like the green slidey guys, the boxes who slide on the striped paths (super smart use of striped textures BTW), and the fence in the Orange Slidey Bumpy Box Level. They fit into the wacky MBG style surprisingly well.

Overall, best works of art produced in the MBG style I’ve ever seen. Probably the best thing about your level pack IMO.

Speedrunning (8.5/10):

I haven’t had the time to speedrun too much, and I am utter dogshit at path finding, but from what I’ve done, there’s a lot of depth even in the simpler levels. Points 1, 2, 3 from my gameplay section are all also reasons why they are fun to speedrun (3 b/c more than one use of the power-up = the possibility to sequence break like in LtSJ or LtSS). Most of the levels manage to still be simple but IC, usually involving the optimization of a single camera movement and click, which is I think most Beginner levels should be in terms of speedrunning. It’s refreshing b/c every level in MBG is either like perform a singular start trick and don’t shake your hand or is like do eight edge hits and sixteen natural bounces, so a batch of 2-4 second levels where you actually do stuff taps into an experience and skill set that’s been missing but should’ve been there all along. I also appreciate how the layout of the levels is intentionally set up for speedrunning tricks and the like… good game design once again, and taps a bit into what stuff like Taxxon has ranted about before.

The longer levels have good path finding potential, but no obvious built in tricks. Gyre has so much going on: so many disconnected platforms to edge hit off of, so many walls to jump over or off of, a bunch of blocks to wall hit or TL from, and an SJ (though it’s location isn’t ideal for path finding). However, no path screams out to you from the level design. GF is asymmetric and thus better for pathfinding, but no path screams out yet again, except the gyro info sign hit into grabbing gem in GM section. Leapfrog is a masterpiece in simplicity and non-linear level design and it’s my favorite level and seems to have really good path potential, especially at a lower level of play, which is absolutely fantastic. I don’t know my full opinion on these longer levels… in some ways having no obvious designed tricks or paths leaves it truly open to the players and community to innovate and think (anything could conceivably be a fast path), but you also lose a lot of the stuff Taxon says about the benefits of intentionally designing your speed game. I think for now, I say I like them.

As a Community Event (8.5/10):

Reception is really positive, and people are speedrunning it way more than I’d expect. Like, I love the levels to and I don’t want this to come across as criticism, but I’m not sure why these blew up, as you have so many good levels that didn’t spawn a whole speedrunning scene. I’m super happy fortune looked fondly upon these levels and they did blow up though :D — they have given the newer gen of players that has risen up 2019-2023 an opportunity to shine… This has definitely been the most exciting and vitalizing more than a level pack we’ve seen.

Overall: 8.625/10

Lots of aesthetic expertise and game design improvements here. Really really curious to see what you think is wrong with the game design or composition of Intermediate levels, which ones you’ll keep, and what new experiences you can generate. I complained here about some of the levels being simple or boring, but since the original Intermediate is such a strong starting point with both Monster Speedway levels, Marble Playground, Moto-marble Cross, and Upward Spiral, and I genuinely really curious what you can do with them. Do me a big favorite and make Shock Drop Reloaded be Shock Drop but stretched 10x vertically, with a SA at all four corners… that level is the peak of game design ;)
Can’t wait to see where this goes next! We’re all loving it.

Always go faster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nockess

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
15 Jul 2022 00:16 #3
Thanks a lot for everything, it's awesome to see such good reception from everyone, and I have a lot appreciation for how much detail you went into. Here are some of the comments I have in response:

[hr]

The levels like Exercise and Leapfrog that break up tutorial are smart, mostly building their challenge out of using stuff you’ve learned in more complex ways or with more complex terrain.

This is essentially the reason why this whole thing isn't just remakes and actually has some of my own new works. Obviously it does give me an excuse to simply make some custom levels with the MBG textures, but I also noticed that the original beginner levels don't have much in terms of breaking up tutorial levels to give a new player a chance to practice. Leapfrog actually used to be right after Rolling Hills, where Exercise is now.

In terms of the longer levels, I thing they are above average. There’s nothing I can criticize about them, but I don’t feel like I am engaging with the marble physics and geometry in complex ways, except with the curved surfaces in Gyre. Like, Pitfalls and Winding Road are just going up ramps and avoiding gaps, I don’t feel like I’m doing anything awesome there.

This was a difficult balance to find. I totally see your comments about how there isn't much that's absolutely fascinating with the larger levels, and one part of that is me just trying to stay true to original design, and another part is not wanting to throw too much at a new player while they're still in the stage of learning the basics. Given that Grand Finale is sort of the "end goal" of the beginner category, I wanted that to be the most diverse of the bunch. I am very confident that Intermediate and Advanced will not disappoint when it comes to more exciting gameplay.

MML is the original but bigger… but the original is shit from a game design point. The only thing that level actually teaches you about surfaces is that grass is easier to go uphill. You can take straight lines on every surface to get the gem, and so if you do just do that, you never learn the friction nor traction. You can still take straight lines in your version, and really the turns between each straight line don’t fix anything or teach the player much. It’s just weird b/c you fix what’s wrong with every other level, but you miss this one.

Marble Materials Lab was actually one of the first levels I made for this pack, back when I was the most focused on matching the original aesthetic (I'm still like that now but not as strongly). I think there was a lot more that I could've done with the frictions here, but there's was also a lot influenced by my wanting to make the speedrunning for this level very fluid. I guess it all made more sense in my head at the time? :d

Winding Road has a lot of potential, and I know you’re a super creative person, so it’s weird to see it just be Winding Road but with more road and more winds. Even Pitfalls got the green slidey guys, but Winding Road doesn’t even get a new power-up added or nada?

This one I admit was more difficult to design than it should've been. The addition of the Super Speed is really the only thing that this version has that the original doesn't. but the two are still incredibly alike and a bit more than I honestly wish. The main reason why I didn't add anything more is because I didn't want the level to be too intimidatingly big or long for new players - my plan was to also include the Super Bounce and Shock Absorber - but unless I really wanted to make this three times the size of the original, I had to hold myself back a little.

[hr]
One of the biggest reasons why I feel so confident about these levels is because I think speedrunners (who know what they're doing with level building and such) make the best levels. Someone who has knowledge of how the physics work most comfortably have the advantage of being able to test what plays well and what doesn't, what feels good casually and when speedrunning, stuff like that. The most important part of this whole project for me is finding a good balance between the experience being fun for both casual players and experienced players. I had my total-newbie girlfriend test everything, and I had August and Endy test everything. Given their very positive reactions, I was really excited to see what everyone else would think too.

Something that will be fun to look at is the sheet I made that helps me plan out what I want to do with the rest of the game. It shows what levels I plan to remake, what levels I plan to ignore, what order everything is in, etc. Shock Drop probably won't make the final cut. :d
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PMpfZds8...yOc/edit?usp=sharing

Call me Chris!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Myrus

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
17 Jul 2022 00:50 #4
I really enjoyed these. The MBG beginners always felt very short and forgettable, but these are just long enough to be Levels and not just Tutorials. Looking forward to the intermediates!

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Thank you received: 0
30 Jul 2022 23:25 #5
This looks pretty cool. I remember thinking about doing something like this a few years ago but it's good to see someone else remaking all the levels. It's kinda sad Will O Wisp, Ski Slopes, and Scaffold won't make the cut but I'll still enjoy it if I ever get a chance to play it.

• Thank you received: 405
28 Nov 2022 01:44 #6
Finally responding to this, as I'm the one who encouraged you to post it on the forums in the first place.

These levels are outstanding! As you know, MBG is by far my favorite core game, and I was amazed at just how much I enjoyed seeing these mediocre beginner levels reimagined in such a more creative way. I do agree that levels like Marble Materials Lab (could've used some turns) and Learning to Roll (could've used some hills) are on the weaker side—for Marble Materials Lab especially, it would have been cool to maybe have a hill split between mud on the left and grass on the right so that the player can directly compare the frictions. Or something else similar to that. One other criticism I have (or maybe I'm just bad) is taking the gravity modifiers in… Gyre, was it called? which bring you across that tilted surface. I kept falling off there. But that's probably because I'm too much of a Beginner.

One of my favorite examples of new ideas incorporated into these levels was actually Breezeway—even though it was a simple idea to have you fly across fans to the finish, I just wasn't expecting it at all and it made me so happy to see that in the MBG style! The original levels you included also fit so well with the MBG beginners. This is the type of thing that takes everything I didn't know I disliked about MBG and makes it so much better. It's like you have made something I didn't know I wanted to see, and knowing that, it makes me so excited for if you were to ever make intermediate and advanced versions of this! With a few tweaks, this deserves to go right alongside MBG on the leaderboards.

Keep up the great work!

• Nockess
  • Respected Marbler
  • Respected Marbler
  • Cheater Supreme
26 Jul 2023 22:21 #7
A couple updates to the beginner pack:

• Better compatibility for PQ, including level previews and hints. Author Times have also been written in for Ultimate Times. (I personally still refer to them as the former though.)
  • Five Easter Eggs, which means I'm also planning to add them to some of the Intermediate and Advanced levels.
  • Reconverted some levels, most notably Gyrocopter and Gyre to clean up the interiors and minimize the number of them.

And I wouldn't leave you without anything brand new.

• Call me Chris!

The following user(s) said Thank You: NF

• Thank you received: 405
    01 Aug 2023 13:26 #8
    I cannot even express how excited I am for this! When I saw that screenshot for the first time, my whole face lit up and it was instantly the highlight of my day. You're doing a wonderful thing here, Nockess, and I can't wait to see how it develops from here!

Maybe it has to do with not playing MBG itself much lately, and being overwhelmed with how good everyone else is, but these new interpretations of levels are really reminding me how fun this game is just to play casually. I haven't played through MBG casually in longer than I can remember. It feels like by playing MBG Reloaded, I'm rediscovering MBG for the first time, but a polished and refined version of it with a smoother skill curve (is that what it's called? I mean each level feels more appropriately placed in context—I trust you'll do something much harder with Tornado Alley, for example, so that it actually feels like Intermediate level 22) and more formidable difficulty.

I could never do what you're doing, and I'm so thrilled that you are. Good luck with everything to come!

Moderators: Doomblah
    Time to create page: 0.811 seconds
    We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.