file Habits to get into when using Constructor

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Lambencee(Aaron_Y)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Thank you received: 23
06 Jun 2011 17:34 #1
These are somethings you should get in the habit of doing, that I didn't or I know of people that didn't do this when they first started. If you have something you think should be added feel free to post it.

Marble2's tips:

- Make sure you have grid spacing on. Goto Prefs and put a check in the snap to grid box. Most of the time you want grid spacing set to 0.5. Believe it or not I didn't know about this for awhile after I started Constructor.

- Hold down shift to copy and paste. This will take some time off using the key shortcuts or if you used the menu it will take a lot of time off once you get used to it. Just hold down the shift key with the brush(es) you want to copy, then drag you can release shift at any time after it copies.

- Use Mouse for movement. Don't use the movement things at the top of your view. The only time you might want to use that is when you want to target something. Holding down right click will rotate, scroll will zoom in/out, holding down scroll will move you around. Once you master this you will zoom around your constructor scenes.

- Use 1, 2, and 3 to change from the 3 select modes don't use the buttons to do that. Not only will this be faster, but you can remove the buttons and put something useful there.

- Use face select to make a brush bigger/smaller don't use the Size Bounds tool (I didn't make this mistake, but I know some people that did, so I thought I would add it).

- Setup Constructor the way you like it. It's well worth the time of setting up the UI the way you want.

Don.Gato's tips:

- When you use the create brush tools if you drag to create your brush, make sure to round off all of the alignment and size numbers, usually to multiples of you grid spacing (I use .25)

-When you need to do finer position adjustments, lower your grid spacing by dividing by 2 until it is fine enough. When done, bump it back up.

-Constructor has a built in calculator, Use it. If you type a calculation into any size or position field it calculates it for you. For example if I want to move a platform up .25, I could just type +.25 after the current value. * is multiply, / is divide, + is plus and - is minus. no quotation marks.

-If you are going to be using a shape often (like scenery poles) save it as a prefab. (I don't do this, but I really should). To do this save a map to ~/prefabs (where ~ is you constructor directory), and restart constructor. You can also make your own prefabs folder/subsection using the manage prefabs tool in the system menu.

- The little box on the bottom right of the screen is the Undo Stack If you need to go back multiple steps you can do so by clicking on items in the undo stack where you want to go back to, instead of just mashing ctrl+z. (note: sometimes texture alignment functions don't undo properly, and never use undo when making mp's)

- Sometimes the Undo Stack gets frozen. When you have a tool active the entry for that tool is listed in red, sometimes it stays that way when you exit the tool, thus freezing the undo stack. Click the little trash can next to it, or else you won't be able to undo any longer (until you reopen the map that is)

RDs.empire's tip:

For some its easier to do all things in Perspective(3D view) by maximizing it since some people don't even use the rest of the 3 views. Just hold RMousebutton and move thought 3D space by using WASD like in MB toogle view. But be careful using vertices tool since it sometimes acts weird in perspective view . Only way to fix it is to move vertices in any sideviews

Perishingflames' tips:

- When you are making a very high-degree slope, to avoid having incredibly stretched textures (think pythagorean law since distance is increased but number of texture squares remains the same) use the face button to reset the texture size to actually be 0.5 and count the number of squares that is approximately is. Then use the stretch to fit button (it will either be the horizontal line or the vertical line in the justify & fit section) and divide by that number to get a texture scale that is close to 0.5 that fits the slope.

- Don't use the World texture button. I still don't know of a use for it. Just use the Face button.

- Use the flip horizontal and flip vertical buttons to avoid black lines/etc on the brush where the two oppositely-rotated textures meet.

- If you need to select, say the outer face of a brush located inside other brushes, use the lock to selection preference after selecting the brush you want to change to ensure the face you select is indeed on that brush.

- If you need to extend a slope or trim the top of it, use the extend face plugin. Simply select the conform checkbox to line up the angle with the brush.

- Make it a habit to change the sun color to 100 100 100 upon opening Constructor to avoid the glaring colors. This also mimics MB's lighting.

Seizure22's tip:

- ALWAYS backup if cuttiing away parts of your level for testing.

- If not cutting away anything, mash ctrl S as often as you remember.

Ian V.'s tip:

- Hotkeys are your best friend. Instead of using drop down menus to find things, learn their shortcut keys. Such as:

- E to rotate a brush (or group of brushes)
- 1, 2, and 3 to switch between selection types (Vertices, Faces, and Brushes)
- Ctrl + Z to undo.
- Return (Enter) to Make

Pokko's tip:

Do not press Ctrl + X* and after that Ctrl + S (save)
(*deletes all if nothing selected)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
06 Jun 2011 17:38 #2
Thanks for this Marble2! Especially thanks for number 5; I use Size Bounds a lot and end up paying for it P.S. Is the faces tool what you'd use to make those tilted platforms and ramps and things? I was playing around with it one day and made some funky interior...

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
06 Jun 2011 17:41 #3
Yes, press the 2 key, select a face and drag the way you want it to go. It's much better because it doesn't resize and stretch the textures and it's faster.

• Thank you received: 15
06 Jun 2011 18:37 #4
Great post, Marble2! Stickied.

• Thank you received: 10
06 Jun 2011 19:14 #5
I have a couple too, maybe these should be added...

- When you use the create brush tools if you drag to create your brush, make sure to round off all of the alignment and size numbers, usually to multiples of you grid spacing (I use .25)

-When you need to do finer position adjustments, lower your grid spacing by dividing by 2 until it is fine enough. When done, bump it back up.

-Constructor has a built in calculator, Use it. If you type a calculation into any size or position field it calculates it for you. For example if I want to move a platform up .25, I could just type +.25 after the current value. * is multiply, / is divide, + is plus and - is minus. no quotation marks.

- If you are going to be using a shape often (like scenery poles) save it as a prefab. (I don't do this, but I really should)

• Joey
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Doer of things.
  • Thank you received: 191
06 Jun 2011 19:19 #6
@Don.Gato The last two could be really helpful for me... Thanks! Never used the calculator, but it seems helpful especially when I need to move a platform into a fine position .

I love you, but your attitude is like that of a shrew. Your options? Take a pill or be my kill. Might I suggest that you wear a vest. Perish in class or be banished to the land of bluegrass, where dreams don't exist as you'll be eternally pissed.

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
06 Jun 2011 19:22 #7
Very good ones to add. Added!

06 Jun 2011 19:37 #8
Quote:- If you are going to be using a shape often (like scenery poles) save it as a prefab. (I don't do this, but I really should)

Change it to this:

- If you are going to be using a shape often (like scenery poles) save it as a prefab. (I don't do this, but I really should). To do this save a map to ~/prefabs (where ~ is you constructor directory), and restart constructor. You can also make your own prefabs folder/subsection using the manage prefabs tool in the system menu.

• RDs.The-dts-guy
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • Blender pls
  • Thank you received: 188
06 Jun 2011 23:07 #9
Only thing im a bit confused is size bounds. Why you souldnt use it. Its great tool and only fiference is that its streching textures.

I have 1 tip.

For some its easier to do all things in Perspective(3D view) by maximizing it since some people dont even use rest of the 3 views. just hold RMousebutton and move through 3D space by using WASD like in MB toogle view. But be carefull using vertices tool since it sometimes acts veird in perspective view . Only way to fix it is to move vertices in any sideviews

I may come up with more.

P.S Dont even vaste your time to say how bad my grammar is.

Some guy that does DTS shapes and levels.

AWESOME time HINT : When making PQ level place your custom interiors and textures in platinum/data/interiors_pq/custom
makes life easier for you and everyone else :)

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
06 Jun 2011 23:21 #10
Jun 6, 2011, 4:07pm, rdsempire wrote:Only thing im a bit confused is size bounds. Why you souldnt use it. Its great tool and only fiference is that its streching textures.

If you want to use it then by all means go ahead, but it's much slower then face select, due to the fact that you have to redo all the textures. It might be better used for resizing whole levels, many brushes, or really big brushes. But then you still have to account for the textures so it might not be.

EDIT: Also added your tip with grammar fixes.

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
07 Jun 2011 00:29 #11
- When you are making a very high-degree slope, to avoid having incredibly stretched textures (think pythagorean law since distance is increased but number of texture squares remains the same) use the face button to reset the texture size to actually be 0.5 and count the number of squares that is approximately is. Then use the stretch to fit button (it will either be the horizontal line or the vertical line in the justify & fit section) and divide by that number to get a texture scale that is close to 0.5 that fits the slope.

- Don't use the World texture button. I still don't know of a use for it. Just use the Face button.

- Use the flip horizontal and flip vertical buttons to avoid black lines/etc on the brush where the two oppositely-rotated textures meet.

- If you need to select, say the outer face of a brush located inside other brushes, use the lock to selection preference after selecting the brush you want to change to ensure the face you select is indeed on that brush.

- If you need to extend a slope or trim the top of it, use the extend face plugin. Simply select the conform checkbox to line up the angle with the brush.

- Make it a habit to change the sun color to 100 100 100 upon opening Constructor to avoid the glaring colors. This also mimics MB's lighting.

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
07 Jun 2011 03:19 #12
Very good! Added.

• Seizure22
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Intermediate Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
14 Jun 2011 18:00 #13
ALWAYS backup if cuttiing away parts of your level for testing.

If not cutting away anything, mash ctrl S as often as you remember.

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
14 Jun 2011 18:16 #14
Good basic safety tips thanks

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
15 Jun 2011 00:17 #15
Jun 14, 2011, 11:00am, seizure22 wrote:ALWAYS backup if cuttiing away parts of your level for testing.

If not cutting away anything, mash ctrl S as often as you remember.

Because otherwise you'll see people like *this* poster losing hours of work for not backing up, despite full knowledge there should have been a backup and due to some unknown reason, deciding NOT to back up. *selfkick*

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• Greg_Hutchinson
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
15 Jun 2011 04:16 #16
Nice job, but can someone make a QuArK one?

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
15 Jun 2011 04:59 #17
Jun 14, 2011, 9:16pm, greg25 wrote:Nice job, but can someone make a QuArK one?

Why don't you start one? I'm sure you know some basic stuff. Then let people expand it.

• Greg_Hutchinson
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
15 Jun 2011 05:04 #18
Ok, I'll make a WHOLE tutorial .

• Ian_Cordle
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • eSports Director
15 Jun 2011 17:55 #19
Here's the thing that I find most useful:

- Hotkeys are your best friend. Instead of using drop down menus to find things, learn their shortcut keys. Such as:
    E to rotate a brush (or group of brushes)
    1, 2, and 3 to switch between selection types (Vertices, Faces, and Brushes)
    Ctrl + Z to undo.
    Return (Enter) to Make

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
15 Jun 2011 19:14 #20
Thanks, good stuff for increasing speed.

25 Jun 2011 21:37 #21
I have two more

- The little box on the bottom right of the screen is the Undo Stack If you need to go back multiple steps you can do so by clicking on items in the undo stack where you want to go back to, instead of just mashing ctrl+z. (note: sometimes texture alignment functions don't undo properly, and never use undo when making mp's)

- Sometimes the Undo Stack gets frozen. When you have a tool active the entry for that tool is listed in red, sometimes it stays that way when you exit the tool, thus freezing the undo stack. Click the little trash can next to it, or else you won't be able to undo any longer (until you reopen the map that is)

• Lambencee(Aaron_Y)
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
25 Jun 2011 21:48 #22
Added, thanks!

• Ralph
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Matan's Fervent Fan
  • Thank you received: 136
23 Jul 2012 18:40 #23
@Pokko Obviously, pushing Ctrl Z leads to the Translate Brush function!

You forget a thousand things everyday. Make sure Marble Blast isn't one of 'em.
Instagram : ralphfrommb

• Thank you received: 15
23 Jul 2012 18:48 #24
Hi RalphiBoy, try not to bump topics that are over a month old, okay?

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 0.920 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.