file How To: Convert Maps on a Mac (using Crossover)

• Perishingflames
  • Perishingflames's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #1
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share a technique I discovered for using map2dif with crossover. If you do not have crossover, already, download a demo here: mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/CrossOver-Download-22278.html .

The demo is a 30 day trial, but you can extend it indefinitely by setting your system clock back in time, but make sure to open it once before setting back the clock so it has a starting point for counting how many days are left. Once you've done that, just open the Date & Time system preferences pane, uncheck the option to automatically sync it, and set the year back a few. Re-sync once you are done using crossover to get the normal date and time back.

Ok, so to set up, you will need a folder that all the textures are located in, and map2dif on your computer. If you do not have marble blast map2dif already, find it here: www.mediafire.com/?on0oyz30yxm . Now, open crossover and click Programs - Run Command.

In the Command field, use the following command. Highlighted are the parts you will need to edit.

/Users/aaron/Desktop/Map2Dif/MarbleBlastMap2Dif.exe -map2dif -o /Users/aaron/Desktop/Map2Dif -t /Users/aaron/Desktop/Map2Dif/Textures test.map

Location of map2dif
Output directory of the dif
Location of textures
Name of the map

I like to keep the textures in a subfolder of the folder containing the maps and map2dif for cleanliness-sake, but you can do whatever as long as you change the path correctly. Also, the .map needs to be in the same directory as the map2dif program for it to work properly. Additionally, your map file name cannot have any spaces in it!

Troubleshooting

If it is your first time doing this, you may very well get the following error.

Andrew had this problem, and to fix it, I really just needed to play around. It turned out that the command that eventually worked was the command that didn't work at first.. so that's weird.

Anyways, you can try troubleshooting this by first starting out using the browse button to locate the map2dif program, then typing -map2dif. It will give you an error. Next, do the same but also type -t locationtotexturesfolder followed by the the name of the map (with the .map extension). If it works as it should, you should get an error saying unable to write detail level to stream. Great, now just do the same as before, but add -o outputlocation and it should work just fine. (That -o command should be between the -t command and the map name)

If you get other errors, just make note what it says. If it says cannot find a certain texture, then verify that the path -t locationtotextures is correct and the textures are actually there. If it gives unable to write detail level to stream, then you are missing the -o part.

Enjoy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #2
when i tried to click on the demo website, it just said safari cant find this server.could you try emailing the demo thing to me? my email is chameleonrochs12@gmail.com

• Thank you received: 18
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #3
Great find, this will stop Mac people from bugging me to convert maps. (Not that I minded.)

01 Jan 1970 00:00 #4
LOL: Hey Oaky could you convert this MAP for me?
Fine...
*error, cannot find texture MBPTextures/grid_cool2*
DAMMIT!
*word replace MBP/ with nothing*
*convert*
*error converting*
*sigh and delete broken polys as well as half the crazy scenery someone's attempted*
*reconvert*
*send*

NO MORE OF THAT! YES!

01 Jan 1970 00:00 #5
wait a sec, its working.

01 Jan 1970 00:00 #6
damn it, my dumb lap top is to old and crapy to run it!

• Thank you received: 10
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #7
Jun 27, 2009, 9:53pm, oakster wrote:LOL: Hey Oaky could you convert this MAP for me?
Fine...
*error, cannot find texture MBPTextures/grid_cool2*
DAMMIT!
*word replace MBP/ with nothing*
*convert*
*error converting*
*sigh and delete broken polys as well as half the crazy scenery someone's attempted*
*reconvert*
*send*

Erm... was that you converting my map?

NO MORE OF THAT! YES!

youtube.com/marbleduck

• Thank you received: 2
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #8
Jun 27, 2009, 12:32pm, chameleon wrote:when i tried to click on the demo website, it just said safari cant find this server.could you try emailing the demo thing to me? my email is chameleonrochs12@gmail.com

Same thing happened.

Jun 26, 2009, 11:14pm, perishingflames wrote:The demo is a 30 day trial, but you can extend it indefinitely by setting your system clock back in time, but make sure to open it once before setting back the clock so it has a starting point for counting how many days are left. Once you've done that, just open the Date & Time system preferences pane, uncheck the option to automatically sync it, and set the year back a few. Re-sync once you are done using crossover to get the normal date and time back.

What if you set the time to the future when opening it for the first time, then resync it when you're done using it the first time? Then you never have to unsync/resync every time you use it.
Or does this create unwanted effects? (I've never done a number-of-days trial trick before)

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #9
I have got a Power PC G5 i can't download CrossOver!

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #10
AGHHHH!!! IT'S INTELL ONLY! if there going to make you have to use a Intell mac, since intell can run both mac and PC apps why don't they just have a PC version??????!!!!!

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #11
Jul 8, 2009, 2:09pm, sporlo wrote:
Jun 27, 2009, 12:32pm, chameleon wrote:when i tried to click on the demo website, it just said safari cant find this server.could you try emailing the demo thing to me? my email is chameleonrochs12@gmail.com

Same thing happened.

Jun 26, 2009, 11:14pm, perishingflames wrote:The demo is a 30 day trial, but you can extend it indefinitely by setting your system clock back in time, but make sure to open it once before setting back the clock so it has a starting point for counting how many days are left. Once you've done that, just open the Date & Time system preferences pane, uncheck the option to automatically sync it, and set the year back a few. Re-sync once you are done using crossover to get the normal date and time back.

What if you set the time to the future when opening it for the first time, then resync it when you're done using it the first time? Then you never have to unsync/resync every time you use it.
Or does this create unwanted effects? (I've never done a number-of-days trial trick before)

Don't think that would work since it resyncs when you open it with a new base time (x number of days before that time opening). Try and tell us if it works or not.

Also, I modified the first post with a fixed? download link. And yes, crossover is intel only.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #12
I keep getting error: StdOut: Error opening map file: HITC.map

StdErr:

What does this mean?

Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #13
It means you need to read the troubleshooting section in the first post.

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #14
i did, and it STILL doesn't work
Ohhh. The SMAE DIRECTORY.

Nevverrmiinnndd.

Code:

• Thank you received: 2
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #15
Jul 25, 2009, 12:31am, perishingflames wrote:
Jul 8, 2009, 2:09pm, sporlo wrote:

Don't think that would work since it resyncs when you open it with a new base time (x number of days before that time opening). Try and tell us if it works or not.

I meant to bump this a year ago, but when I discovered the answer, I couldn't find this thread

The future-set trick DOES work. I downloaded Crossover, but before opening it for the first time, I set my clock to something like 2030 or somewhere around then. I opened up Crossover for the first time, then closed it and reset my clock to the current time. When I reopened Crossover it said there were many thousands of days left in the trial.

I'm pretty sure it WAS Crossover I did this with, but it could have been a different random trial app. Regardless, I'm sure it would work because I've tried this with more than one trial.

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
01 Jan 1970 00:00 #16
Sounds good. Thanks.

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.144 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.