file Quick Question

• dlma
  • dlma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Thank you received: 0
08 Aug 2013 17:53 #1
Is it considered plagiarizing if you use somebody elses interiors for your level but you gave them credit in the level?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Buzzmusic
  • Developer
  • Developer
  • I make levels and songs.
  • Thank you received: 145
08 Aug 2013 19:47 #2
It can depend on what kind of interior it is. People use basic square, circle, rectangle, etc. interiors all the time even if they didn't create them (or at least people used to when everyone made levels). Those are pretty much always fine. But if the interior that you're using is an entire level, then it might be good to ask the interior creator. Otherwise, if you give the interior creator credit, you should be fine most of the time.

All posts from my account that were made before July 29 2013 are from the point of view of my dad unless it states otherwise.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
  • PlatinumQuest Programmer
  • Thank you received: 205
08 Aug 2013 20:27 #3
Personally I would say its plagiarizing unless you get permission from them because they were the ones who created it and may not want their work duplicated in a sense.

+ Originality WHERe

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• dlma
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
08 Aug 2013 21:17 #4
What if I mentioned their name in the level and gave credit for their interior? Would I get banned if I released the level?

• Thank you received: 57
08 Aug 2013 21:40 #5
Ask them first. Can't just take things and say ohh this is his. Some people don't like their work being used for other's projects, especially without being asked.

• dlma
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Aug 2013 01:33 #6
So that means I have to ask Blastedmarble, Beack, Leaf, Alexis, marble man, buzz man, Ice, Dan, and a lot of others then?

• Perishingflames
  • Senior Marbler
  • Senior Marbler
  • Thank you received: 21
09 Aug 2013 01:55 #7
If you're just stringing together a bunch of other people's levels, you should probably reconsider whether you're making a level worth releasing in the first place.

• dlma
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Aug 2013 01:56 #8
What if its in the CLA and its created by that person?

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
09 Aug 2013 01:58 #9
The point is your using other people's works without asking for permission. Its like a company that patented something, would they let you create derivative works from it? Usually not.

I am a programmer. Most here know me for being one of the major contributors to Marble Blast Platinum and PlatinumQuest.

• dlma
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Aug 2013 01:58 #10
What if I asked all of them?

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
09 Aug 2013 02:03 #11
*raises post count*

yes. And if the person says no then you can't use it. Simple as that.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
  • Thank you received: 912
09 Aug 2013 05:25 #12
Now, when it comes to others' peoples interiors this is actually interesting.

The ones provided in MBG and MBP are fine to use and in fact have been used in numerous custom levels. However custom interiors made by other users (not in the mods) is a more touchy subject.

Some people have produced levels with other people's interiors and they're fine with it. However most people would prefer if you asked them first. Is it a full-level interior and you're just going to be replaying all of it, or is it part of it (something that has been done with MBG full-level interiors)?

If it's all the level again, then what is the point of your level? To replay their level? That's just really bad on your part and no one really gains from it. As PF said reconsider if you're making a level worth releasing, especially since it's not yours.

If it's only PART of the level (as said, mbg interiors) then we're getting somewhere more interesting. What is the part? is it little or a lot? is it like you land somewhere, SJ up and grab a gem and suddenly gyro+ss with a sticking out learn the super speed interior and you're off? that case we're better off but still one must wonder why use that interior when you could have used many different other parts.

So finally one must ask, WHY are you using said interiors? Are they due to the scenery, the fact they're complicated, or what.

Now, some people as said don't like to have their interiors used without their knowledge and permission, and the #1 person that comes to mind is Phil. A few of the other people you listed are probably inactive and wouldn't care either way, but it's still no good practice to use their levels and interiors without crediting them, and if they don't really give you permission when they find out you'll have to take down the whole level because of it.

Personally speaking I don't mind if people use my current interiors, esp. the ones in CLA (not from mbp those are free to use anyway) because it's always fun for me to see what people create as customs with those (twist, scale, rotate) and I see in a video an interior I made and I go yay they used my interior and it's a good feeling (yes I have shit interiors, deal with it).

Anyway long story short, what you SHOULD do is probably scrap the level if it's only replaying other people's levels. Unless it's pre-2008, I would highly question whether you should use it.

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• dlma
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Aug 2013 19:02 #13
I'm kind of like combining other's levels to put them to the test, because most of the CLA interiors for me don't add up when I make one with those. My level is kind of like a CGL, but I want to use their interiors because the course I'm making, I want it to be like a big level that makes it so you can see everyone's interiors they made in one level, instead of many. I want them to see what other people made and they can explore through the level while getting information along the way. I want people to see everybody's work at once because what I think of it is like a competition, when someone makes a better interior, people try to rise and rise to stay in first place. I want people to observe their work and I want them to see it so they won't need to waste time downloading and adding more and more levels to see the community's work. Thats what I think.

• dlma
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
09 Aug 2013 19:04 #14
Mkbul's skill course is in the MBP CLA and I was afraid it would be plagiarizing if I put it in.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
09 Aug 2013 19:11 #15
You could always try to learn constructor, if you need some unique interiors. I know that there are numerous guides out there. Good, decent levels almost always use custom interiors. That level is part of MBP, so it should be okay to use it.

Also, you never replied in your support topic! Do so, please!

"matan, now i get what you meant a few years back when you said that "the level in mbg is beyond me" after the last rampage i noticed things were insane, and now i truly feel that too" - Dushine, 2015.

• IsraeliRD
  • Project Manager
  • Project Manager
  • Dragon Power Supreme
10 Aug 2013 00:51 #16
So basically a giant level to appreciate interiors where you try and have people decide which is the better interior?
I've played levels with shitty interiors that were hundreds of times better than levels with perfectly made interior.
No one really competes over who makes a better interior as it's absolutely useless.

The idea about getting it all at once so people don't have to bother downloading 1000 and playing 1000 different levels might seem good, but practically impossible and guranteed no one will play through it. I remember Chevy's compilation of Customs and no one ever beat it (and if you did bother, it was the most brutal challenge ever and ended up being impossible on top of it). I would much prefer playing 1000 levels because I can stop whenever I want and leave and I will leave them for variety of reasons:
- Did not enjoy
- Too hard
- Tightropes. Too many.
- Too long
People can't save their progress so they'll just stay at the same general area (20-25%) all the time without progressing. If there are hard challenges they can't pass, you're equally screwed.

Lastly if one downloads a level, it's because *they* want to play the level. Not one person here has downloaded all the levels and has played through them (except PF, imo, but I could be wrong) because they had to. People download levels that look and sound good and fun. I personally played maybe 1-2% of released levels since 2008 due to the fact I've been busy. Making a compilation level is the last thing I'd play as well because I don't have the time, and secondly this sounds like Chevy's custom compilation level except much worse.

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
10 Aug 2013 02:14 #17
Quote:Lastly if one downloads a level, it's because *they* want to play the level. Not one person here has downloaded all the levels and has played through them (except PF, imo, but I could be wrong) because they had to. People download levels that look and sound good and fun. I personally played maybe 1-2% of released levels since 2008 due to the fact I've been busy. Making a compilation level is the last thing I'd play as well because I don't have the time, and secondly this sounds like Chevy's custom compilation level except much worse.

This is so true, and I will testify to this as well. I have played probably < 0.1% of all custom levels, and it will continue to be that way. I hate to pick favorites because it hurts people's feelings, and I hate putting people on the spot, but IIRC Buzzmusic is person that I mostly download my levels from. Now just because I download them doesn't even mean i'll touch them, but I must say though I have mostly played his levels for customs in a long time. That being said, If I do find a level that I find worthy to play, I do download it. And PF, I don't know how you do it, I would rather cry myself to sleep than playing levels in the CLA with no custom interiors.

And with that being said, I pretty much ignore levels that don't have custom interiors. No offense or anything, its just my personal opinion and preference.

• dlma
  • Beginner Marbler
  • Beginner Marbler
11 Aug 2013 15:04 #18
Isn't there a mod or a way you can add the code to save progress in a level?

• Jeff
  • Elite Marbler
  • Elite Marbler
11 Aug 2013 16:08 #19
there is no mod.

• Marblemaster1
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Advanced Marbler
  • Custom Code Enthusiast
  • Thank you received: 8
11 Aug 2013 22:02 #20
I'm not even sure such a thing is possible, but of course I know hardly anything about Torquescript.

QuArK is still a good map editor

You know what's boring? Opaque marble skins. You know what's not? Glass Marbles!

• HiGuy
  • Lead Developer
  • Lead Developer
  • PQ Developer Emeritus
  • Thank you received: 604
11 Aug 2013 23:29 #21
Could easily be done in a .mis mod if you knew which functions to override

Hint! GameConnection::respawnPlayer and Trigger::onEnterTrigger

This signature is real code
Code:
function clientcmd12dothepq() { commandToClient(LocalClientConnection, '34onthedancefloor'); }

Moderators: Doomblah
Time to create page: 1.018 seconds
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.